They do indeed need a maintenance person to keep the area clean and looking sharp. People were throwing their garbage into the flower planters east of Yonge all summer, some people really are pigs.

It's not they who need to address the problem, it's the whole city. We need education campaigns. Keep Toronto beautiful.

I think people need to stand up ... if you see someone do it - say something ... I think even others seeing this feel the same way, it might inspire others to speak out.

Not sure who'd actually say something though : )

What I hate just as much, people who throw cigarette buts everywhere ...

Chewing, gum, cigarette buts, litter, you name it, all nasty and uncalled for. Sadly, some people have no manners and just toss said things on the ground as if it their right.

The limp evergreen fronds stuck in the ground look kinda sad.

They looked good for the first couple of weeks but they're starting to wither and lose their colour now. Probably not an idea that will be repeated next year.

Those conical pylons, placed along the Bloor sidewalk near Avenue Road between the banks of fronds, are another gruesome mess. And a desperate retailer has stuck a little wooden sign post arrow in one of the frondy planters directing pedestrians to head north, past the Church. Yee-haw!

I wish the planters had edges there were wide enough to sit on. They are also too short for sitting. Are there no benches coming? It would have saved space to incorporate seating into some of the planters.

I wish the planters had edges there were wide enough to sit on. They are also too short for sitting. Are there no benches coming? It would have saved space to incorporate seating into some of the planters.

This is what is there now..
bsrn6.jpg

^^ Those things don't even look like benches. Look at how thin they are. I don't even think most people realize they are benches. Who came up with that useless design? They remind me of little coffins.

^^ Those things don't even look like benches. Look at how thin they are. I don't even think most people realize they are benches. Who came up with that useless design? They remind me of little coffins.

I like them, plus they look better in person. There are also four or six similar sitting areas on the south side east of Yonge and I believe more planned for next spring west of Yonge.

Yep thin indeed... to deter certain people from using them as a bed. :)

If you're designing a bench solely with the requirement that people won't sleep on it, please don't waste your time. I'm had enough of these designer benches for public spaces that are dismal for sitting on. Those Diamond and Schmitt benches at Museum Station are also quite bad: they're so low and being lightly coloured, always look dirty.

If you're designing a bench solely with the requirement that people won't sleep on it, please don't waste your time. I'm had enough of these designer benches for public spaces that are dismal for sitting on. Those Diamond and Schmitt benches at Museum Station are also quite bad: they're so low and being lightly coloured, always look dirty.

A few times last summer I grabbed a slice from Pizzaiolo at Hayden & Yonge then sat on these granite sitting areas by Xerox to eat my slice. They're not that bad at all and I don't have a whole lot of padding on my butt.

Back