Is anything planned for West of Avenue road? I know retailers who are paying for this are concentrated East of Avenue so maybe it's wishful thinking that anything will be done beyond what is being finished...

Since the Bloor-Yorkville BIA pretty much ends at Avenue Road and it quickly looses its retail oriented focus I would guess that there wouldn't be any businesses willing to pay for it.

Is anything planned for West of Avenue road? I know retailers who are paying for this are concentrated East of Avenue so maybe it's wishful thinking that anything will be done beyond what is being finished...

The revitalization doesn't really need to extend past Avenue Road. On the south side, the ROM (primarily), the Royal Conservatory, and U of T do a very good job of beautifying the street. On the north side, the Hyatt, the (soon-coming) McCondo, Museum House, the retail and One Bedford are/will be similarly successful. Besides, I don't really consider anything west of Avenue Road to be Yorkville.

True... I'd just like to see the ROM replace their concrete sidewalk with granite. A darker sidewalk would work better to contrast against the lighter shade of the ROM's cladding. Right now, there's just this sea of light grey.

That's great but the latest "news" was in "2009". It doesn't seem like this got any traction.

In the meantime, I hope the Hyatt gets embarrassed by what's right across the street and puts in some money to fix the gum dotted, asphalt covered, cracking sidewalks in front of the hotel.

I think the stretch between Avenue Rd. & Spadina should be treated alot differently than the section west of Spadina. Wide sidewalks, lots of institutional and cultural buildings as opposed to narrow sidewalks and small retail.

Looking pretty bare in this pic but Bloor St. between Yonge & Avenue Rd. is scheduled to get lots of new trees this spring.

bloorbare.jpg

I like that the city didn't forget about the row of red bricks along the curb. An old touch of the roads department meets a new direction of sophistication: the granite sidewalk. It helps to accentuate the black granite curb.

I like that the city didn't forget about the row of red bricks along the curb. An old touch of the roads department meets a new direction of sophistication: the granite sidewalk. It helps to accentuate the black granite curb.

We have those red bricks all over Riverdale. What's their point? Is it just aesthetic or do they serve a purpose?

Bloor has never looked better. Looking forward to seeing those trees planted. I hope they extend this sort of makeover projects to other popular commercial areas of the city- such as Front East and the Esplanade for instance. I think some stone/ red brick sidewalk paving would look great around there as well.

Does anyone know when the new trees are slated to go in? I'm getting eager to see this new avenue in all its glory...

I'm sure we're all eager for spring to come; it's been one of the most dismal winters I can remember.

Does anyone know when the new trees are slated to go in? I'm getting eager to see this new avenue in all its glory...

"Spring", probably no later than April. The art components are yet to come too, at the corners of Yonge & Bloor and Bay & Bloor.

It might be just perspective, but it looks like there is enough space to squeeze a bike lane on the right.

Bike lanes are from Church St. to Avenue Road, I expect that they'll be painted and marked soon.

Back