"I dunno when I was growing up, we were taught not to litter. Do they not do this is schools anymore?"

Most of the people I know who think nothing of littering are either under 21 or over 40. Clearly kids don't get the memo, they probably never will. But the second group really makes you question the mythology of this city's past.

"I dunno when I was growing up, we were taught not to litter. Do they not do this is schools anymore?"

Most of the people I know who think nothing of littering are either under 21 or over 40. Clearly kids don't get the memo, they probably never will. But the second group really makes you question the mythology of this city's past.

A lot of people were brought up with no manners, decency, or respect for others. They won't change because they don't know any better. They may have new clothes on, but they're still peasants.

Last edited:
Depends on what *kinds* of under-21s, too--like, the insolent offspring of Rob Ford voters, more likely than those from SmitherPants families...

Depends on what *kinds* of under-21s, too--like, the insolent offspring of Rob Ford voters, more likely than those from SmitherPants families...

Growing up during the Crombie/Sewell & Eggleton eras, we were taught through school and messages not to litter and I believe that we had a larger sense of civic pride back then. That's not a hazy memory, Toronto was a cleaner city back in the 70's & 80's but to be fair, is still very clean today for such a large city. If I recall there were something like "Keep Toronto Beautiful" messages on garbage receptacles everywhere. The only time I can remember any litter was during the CNE when I was a kid, musta' been all those out-of-towners tossing their garbage onto the ground ;)
To this day I just can't toss anything onto the ground despite my frustration at the lack of garbage receptacles since the street furniture change-out approached (there's still only about 1 receptacle for every 3 or 4 that used to exist).
There's a great scene early in the show "Mad Men" (season 1 or 2) which sticks in my mind. Don and his family go on a picnic but as they leave Betty folds up their picnic blanket & accessories and leaves behind a mass of garbage on a beautiful grassy hill. That scene drove me nuts.

To this day I just can't toss anything onto the ground despite my frustration at the lack of garbage receptacles since the street furniture change-out approached (there's still only about 1 receptacle for every 3 or 4 that used to exist).

I know exactly how you feel. I physically cannot throw garbage on the ground, no matter how small. It's just such a callous, obnoxious act that ranks up there with graffiti tagging in my books. A friend of mine tossed a bank receipt on the ground the other day, and even for that, I had to restrain myself from hitting him. For some people it takes more than a gentle reminder.

I don't know if it was only a Mississauga thing, but I always endeavoured not to be a "Litterbug" .

The word "litterbug" has been in my lexicon for as long as I can remember speaking. I might have been taught that being a "litterbug" is a bad thing in kindergarden or maybe on TV cartoons. I don't see this being taught to children today.

I hate the litter too... and as much as I don't want to sanitize photos that I take, I couldn't shoot this planter on Bloor without picking a coffee cup lid out of it first.

BloorWinterPlantingP1200329.jpg

I hate the litter too... and as much as I don't want to sanitize photos that I take, I couldn't shoot this planter on Bloor without picking a coffee cup lid out of it first.

But look at that picture, one has to admire how clean the sidewalks and roads are, the City does a really good job keeping the big smoke clean. It's not perfect but it's pretty impressive.

A long overdue update. The hydro vault work at the corner of Church & Bloor was completed just before Christmas. I believe that completes most of the most of the major work along this stretch. The granite slabs are still being laid in front of 120 Bloor E. (at Church) but it's almost done. Except for the tree planting west of Yonge, spring landscaping and whatever art pieces are yet to come this job is pretty much wrapping up.

Back