The Sun has a new rendering. I can't post it right now.

was just looking at them

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/02/exclusive-sun-obtains-renderings-of-bmo-field-upgrade

1297601750089_ORIGINAL.jpg

Last edited:
I mentioned it before but I hope the new configuration cuts down on the wind and exposure to the elements. This would definitely help the experience in the shoulder seasons when Toronto is not exactly the most hospitable environment.

Plus there has been no news on this project for months. Were we not promised renderings and news about this months ago? Weren't they suppose to start construction soon?
Judging by all the hoarding and fencing that has appeared on the east side since the Ex closed, they have started construction.

Application: Partial Permit Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON M6K 3C3

Ward 19: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 14 205072 FND 00 PP Accepted Date: Sep 16, 2014

Project: Stadium Partial Permit - Foundation

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct east upper seating bowl, seating canopy (west, east, and south), 2 new levels for east concourses, east club washrooms/concessions, loading docks, interior alterations for new lounge (west), new lounge (east side), and new concrete slabs. Existing BMO Field. CONVENIENCE ADDRESS - 170 PRINCES BLVD

There will be an open house with more information on the expansion for Season Ticket Holders this upcoming Tuesday evening

I was hoping that the roof would be all on the same level but from that picture it's not the case. Also the corners seem open so it's still going to get chilly when the wind starts blowing in.

I was hoping that they would have done something a little more interesting with the roof, maybe suspend it off pillars like Reebok stadium in Bolton but it's too late for that and would have been more complicated.

7393716776_42bc1b67dd_z.jpg

Attachments

• 7393716776_42bc1b67dd_z.jpg
    7393716776_42bc1b67dd_z.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 1,632
TORONTO - A former MLSE staffer once described current-day BMO Field as an “IKEA” stadium.

“Pull the pin and it will crumble to the ground,” he told me.

That’s not a shot at MLSE — or the city. It’s the truth.

Current-day BMO Field has served its purpose.

It’s a testament to MLS that it took just eight seasons for TFC to grow out of its current digs. But it has.

And, on Tuesday, all parties will be on site to unveil BMO Field 2.0: A massive renovation that will turn the stadium into something more than a “ready-to-assemble” venue.

“Go look at what our stadium was when it opened to what it is today,” Leiweke told the Toronto Sun last week.

“We’ve fallen so far behind it’s shocking.”

Soccer-specific stadiums in Kansas City and New York are considered world-class.

BMO Field has fallen to the bottom of the pack.

The three photos the Sun obtained ahead of Tuesday’s unveiling reveal a stark upgrade, one with a luxury club level and the addition of a few thousand new seats under roofing. Capacity is expected to grow to around 30,000.

Toronto FC general manager Tim Bezbatchenko and MLSE chairman Larry Tanenbaum are expected to speak on Tuesday.

Councillors Norm Kelly and Mark Grimes will be in attendance, too.

Although Toronto FC is expected to remain the primary tenant, MLSE’s top brass has left open the possibility of the CFL moving into BMO Field one day.

“That’s a commitment that is a legal obligation to the city and the province,” Leiweke told the Sun. “We will honour that commitment.”

Construction is under way and is expected to be completed in two phases over two years.

1297609531324_ORIGINAL.jpg

1297609536240_ORIGINAL.jpg

Last edited:
I also read it will have plastic grass. If that's the case, they've cheapened the whole upgrade.

It'll be a hybrid surface with plastic fibres woven in among the natural turf - similar to most major soccer venues in Europe

I'm sure they can easily add a camera or camera crane on one of the roof elements to give viewers at home and stadium attendees via the jumbotron a look at our skyline :)

Uhh, where did you read that?...i doubt it
Ah, a hybrid surface. This must be something fairly new. Never heard of it before, because i never payed much attention to it. That would be much more durable for the Argos to play on. As it's already used by a couple of NFL clubs and lots of
soccer clubs, i can see the Jays installing this in Rogers center for baseball.

Back