I (and many other TFC fans) are still worried about the quality of the pitch, and the gridiron markings. Lieweke says it can be dealt with, but hasn't pointed to a stadium where it has been dealt with successfully. Has anyone come across one before?

I've seen some MLS stadiums where the gridline are visible. Argos play Fridays usually, TFC plays Saturday. I don't see how MLSE will be abel to transition from football to soccer in one day.

I am worried about this. Soccer is a a growing sport in Canada. CFL is.. I don't know. Canadian. We're going to prioritizes Argos for that reason?

I've seen some MLS stadiums where the gridline are visible. Argos play Fridays usually, TFC plays Saturday. I don't see how MLSE will be abel to transition from football to soccer in one day.

I am worried about this. Soccer is a a growing sport in Canada. CFL is.. I don't know. Canadian. We're going to prioritizes Argos for that reason?

It won't likely be every game though. The Argos have 9 home games per year, even if you take a 50/50 chance that TFC IS playing the night before, AND its a home game, you're looking at probably 4/5 days a year max when they'll need to do that one day transition.

They won't be able to do a 1 day turnover - TL said it'll be more like 5/6 days

They won't be able to do a 1 day turnover - TL said it'll be more like 5/6 days

That's quite a difference...anyone know if the CFL would revise the schedule in coming years to accomodate something like that?

Probably would, since they already need to schedule around the Jays' 81 home games

Soccer has been "growing" in Canada for 30 years as people claim. And where is it? A highly anticipated opening draws half the TV audience as a Tuesday night Argo game, and the Men's team bottomed out at it's lowest ranking ever. The Woman's team is our really our only source of pride when it comes to the sport.

I guess the "No where to go but up" theory can continue to apply, meanwhile the CFL TV ratings and attendance are up huge since MLS came to Canada in 2007, and since that time they've seen major renovations/expansions/new stadiums in what will now amount to 8 of the 9 markets. With the only market left out is Calgary (Although they did some minor changes prior to 2009 season), & the rumour mill there is the Flames & Stamps are planning a new facility. Many of the Anti-CFL types have said a "No where to go but down" scenario with the CFL over the past few years, but have continuously been proved wrong, even last season ratings in southern Ontario for the CFL were up 26%.

If you didn't know where the CFL is, you should now.

That being said, inorder to protect soccer and the field I still think the Argos should either play most games on Sunday's or play with TFC is away for their Friday Night football.

There is less of a concern with artificial turf in terms of grid iron football affecting the playing surface and anecdotal-y I think that baseball has less of a concern with the condition of a natural turf (we would have to evaluate how the Oakland A's and Raiders manage) than european football does. That being said: TFC's games tend to be on Wed and Sat (with a few Sundays), while the Argos tend to play on Mondays, Thursdays, and a few Saturdays. So what you might see is, as ChesterCopperpot stated, a 6 day recovery period where the Argos play on a Monday and a TFC game on a Saturday, or the Argos play on Thursday and TFC play the next wed or Sat. Either way the scheduling would be much easier that working around the Jays who usually play a string of games 6-10 days in a row at home.

There is also the break in the MLS schedule around July for Fifa National games where the Argos would have virtually free reign.

Soccer has been "growing" in Canada for 30 years as people claim. And where is it? A highly anticipated opening draws half the TV audience as a Tuesday night Argo game, and the Men's team bottomed out at it's lowest ranking ever. The Woman's team is our really our only source of pride when it comes to the sport.

I guess the "No where to go but up" theory can continue to apply, meanwhile the CFL TV ratings and attendance are up huge since MLS came to Canada in 2007, and since that time they've seen major renovations/expansions/new stadiums in what will now amount to 8 of the 9 markets. With the only market left out is Calgary (Although they did some minor changes prior to 2009 season), & the rumour mill there is the Flames & Stamps are planning a new facility. Many of the Anti-CFL types have said a "No where to go but down" scenario with the CFL over the past few years, but have continuously been proved wrong, even last season ratings in southern Ontario for the CFL were up 26%.

If you didn't know where the CFL is, you should now.

That being said, inorder to protect soccer and the field I still think the Argos should either play most games on Sunday's or play with TFC is away for their Friday Night football.

Your right in the sense that TV ratings continue to grow for CFL/Argos....but if it has become, in Toronto, primarily a TV property the argument could be made "what does it matter where they play?"....in the inverse, you are also right, attendance at live soccer matches in Canada continues to grow while TV ratings for domestic soccer never seems to grow that much....so that might suggest that getting the right playing environment is far more important for the business of soccer than the business of football.

There is less of a concern with artificial turf in terms of grid iron football affecting the playing surface and anecdotal-y I think that baseball has less of a concern with the condition of a natural turf (we would have to evaluate how the Oakland A's and Raiders manage) than european football does. That being said: TFC's games tend to be on Wed and Sat (with a few Sundays), while the Argos tend to play on Mondays, Thursdays, and a few Saturdays. So what you might see is, as ChesterCopperpot stated, a 6 day recovery period where the Argos play on a Monday and a TFC game on a Saturday, or the Argos play on Thursday and TFC play the next wed or Sat. Either way the scheduling would be much easier that working around the Jays who usually play a string of games 6-10 days in a row at home.

There is also the break in the MLS schedule around July for Fifa National games where the Argos would have virtually free reign.

That mid-summer break for the WC only happens once every 4 years though.

That mid-summer break for the WC only happens once every 4 years though.

No, the WC break is longer but there is always a break to allow for other competitions (the Concacaf Gold cup, Uefa Euro cup. The UEFA Cup is held every 4 yrs with a 2 yr separation from the world cup, Confederations cup which is held the year before the World cup, and other friendlies for nations that need competition.). This is actually an ongoing issue for the MLS as players leave to play with their national teams, they don't fully stop the league to allow this but do play a significantly reduced schedule.

Simple: they'll usually play in alternating weeks. Last I heard neither team plays all home games.

As with most things, money can solve the problem of gridlines. MLSE have enough of that and have shown that they are willing to spend it to preserve the TFC experience.

I wonder if there will be some measures in place to enhance the Argonauts experience and make it feel like they are not second-class tennants again. There are some excellent TFC murals in the vomitoria and I wonder if there are screens that can be put in place with Argos designs as a replacement - seems simple enough.

Back