• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
Absolutely. Bohemian Embarrassment is an unfortunate contribution to this part of Queen. I would have far preferred something handsome and well-fitting like Ideal Lofts, or a building with character like East lofts.

Come on, this area was a dump for years..they had to take what they could get when it came to these first developments, im sure that any future additions to the area will be much better. Truthfully i dont think the B.E. is that bad.

Last edited:
Just because the area could be referred to as a dump doesn't automatically mean that it deserves a second-rate development like this. If anything, a well-designed building would set the tone for what could follow. Unfortunately, the area is now stuck with this thing.

The problem with Bohemian Embarrassment isn't it's massing, it's the execution. Is it supposed to "fit" with the existing architecture of the area, or provide a striking counterpoint? In the end, I think it does neither.

March 19:

Construction elevator is finally starting to come down on the tower

img0134hc.jpg

img0140wg.jpg

img0145pz.jpg

Last edited:
That has to be the best Brad Lamb ad to date.

"You talk the lamb listens"

A lol moment.

The black spandrel/panelling and the red face brick is looking great @ Bohemian ... I like it a lot ~

thanks urbT

I like the use of dark mullions, and the brick with horizontal concrete bands. It's not groundbreaking or even really with-the-times, but it's sharp and contextual :)

I hope they build something soon in place of that strip mall. And I hope it's actually an addition to the neighbourhood. At least that will mean we'll no longer be focused on this monstrosity.

The original developer of both the BE and 1181 Queen St West went out of business. Pemberton picked up the BE, but no one (as far as I know) picked up the other site. You can consider that development dead.

There's a surprising amount of setback for the first stories on the podium - they could potentially fit patios (if the city allows them). Overall, despite its general lame-o early 00's pomo architecture, I like the BE more than I thought I would. The smaller building is pretty urbane - you can't really see the tower when you are standing on Queen Street.

I'm dreading whatever sign they're installing here.

Actually I love this development, it's not great but this is a case where the sum of the parts is greater than any alone. There's retail fronting most of Queen I believe as well ?

Back