Ah, now I see lots of white pipes running down across the walls and connecting to the big pipes as in the first pic.
Hope it doesn't cause such delay like the Muranos
the murano flood was a suprise, there ready for it now so it shouldn't create a delay.

/\ Those big pipes in DT's shots above indicate that something is being pumped out of the hole.

X had those too. Offhand I can't think of any other site at this stage that I'm familiar with, but let's remember the crazy amount of rainfall we've had in the past 3 weeks so pumps would be necessary. Perhaps they've hit a stream, or it's just standard for pumping out water seepage and rain.

Daily Commercial News

Here's an article good for interest / knowledge reading ~ :)

Slurry wall misses the cut at Burano
Novel excavation method would have been a first for Toronto

June 3, 2008

DON PROCTER, correspondent

It looks like Toronto will have to wait. The Burano, a 48-storey condo planned downtown, was billed as the first highrise in Toronto to use an unusual slurry wall excavation but minds have changed and a traditional caisson wall structure will be specified instead.

A slurry wall is a non-structural, watertight wall built below grade to keep the surrounding soil from caving in during excavation. The idea is to pour the slurry (a mix of water and bentonite clay) into the pit as it is being excavated to support the pit’s surrounding walls, explains Craig Slama, engineer, Jablonsky, Ast & Partners, structural engineers for the project.

While slurry wall excavations can be more expensive than caisson structures, a slurry wall allows builders to erect a tower while excavating the foundation. And, it can be done on a tight site (like the Burano) without the traffic lane closures normally associated with caisson construction, he says.

“That is where the main savings should have been realized but I guess after they (Lanterra Developments) worked through the numbers several times they found it wasn’t in their best interest to go with a slurry wall. Whether that was because it wasn’t cheaper or they didn’t want to risk going with an unknown technology, I don’t know.â€

Lanterra could not be reached for comment.

Slama says the slurry wall had been considered largely because of the nature of the soft soil and the deep foundation.

“Caisson walls have a little trouble with verticality. Even half a percent out of plumb at the top and they are really out of plumb at the bottom (of the seven-storey-deep foundation).

Slurry walls are commonly used in cities like Boston and New York. There, the procedure usually involves first pouring a concrete floor on solid ground, building supports underneath and then excavating the underside to the next lower floor and repeating the process until the excavation is completed.

In Toronto the method was different. “We had hoped to excavate the whole site and then start building normally,†says Slama.

Another engineering challenge has been how to deal with the potential impact of lateral winds on the tall, parallelogram-shaped tower. Before coming up with the final engineering analysis, a model of the Burano was put through a series of wind tests in a lab in Ottawa, explains the engineer.

The Burano will be built on the site of the former Addison on Bay Ltd. car dealership. Two of the two-storey heritage-designated limestone façades with brick infill (east and south elevations) will be dismantled piece-by-piece, catalogued and taken off site for restoration. The work will include a mild cleaning. “We don’t want it going back looking like a brand new building,†says Jeff Hayes, project architect of E.R.A. Architects Inc., the heritage architect for the development.

Part of the interior of the heritage car showroom will be replicated and incorporated into the podium of the new tower.

One of the requirements is that the new building columns be placed where the old building columns were. Replicas will be made from moulds of the original columns and capitals, says Slama, adding the goal is to reproduce much of the original interior that is located outside the footprint of the new tower.

Built in 1925, the Neo-Gothic-style building (originally called the Mclaughlin Motor Car Showroom) was the first poured concrete building constructed in a Toronto winter, says Hayes. At the time new methods of construction were employed, including materials transported to site in “heated†condition.

Storage space water and aggregate were all kept warm with salamanders and tarpaulins. Steam was used to heat the water, cement and aggregate during mixing.

Currently, Lanterra is securing working and building permit drawings for the project.

Construction could commence in the fall.

http://www.dcnonl.com/article/id27898

I think I read this article long way back in this forum, right?
It's good to know they are only doing a 'mild cleaning' for the original bricks.

Aug 14th Update

I was able to grab a shot from the south end of the site today, unfortunately there were vehicles in the way but it gives better scope to the depth they are currently at compared to the photos I took yesterday.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

how many floors down are they going down? three? if so the ramp should be getting dug up soon.

Built in 1925, the Neo-Gothic-style building (originally called the Mclaughlin Motor Car Showroom) was the first poured concrete building constructed in a Toronto winter, says Hayes. At the time new methods of construction were employed, including materials transported to site in “heated†condition.

Storage space water and aggregate were all kept warm with salamanders and tarpaulins. Steam was used to heat the water, cement and aggregate during mixing.

Affirmation of my argument that the utilitarian alleyway-facing rear of the building was at least as noteworthy as the neo-Gothic front; or at least, that's the judgment that the Corbu-and-Banham-obsessed architectural students of yore ought to have offered, had they bothered to notice...

how many floors down are they going down? three? if so the ramp should be getting dug up soon.

The only reference I can find is an old preliminary planning document with depth being proposed as 30.8m (101 feet). I don't know how many parking levels that is, perhaps 5 or 6?

From post #408:

“Caisson walls have a little trouble with verticality. Even half a percent out of plumb at the top and they are really out of plumb at the bottom (of the seven-storey-deep foundation).

Aug 16

IMG_aug-16-09-0149.jpg

IMG_aug-16-09-0150.jpg

IMG_aug-16-09-0153.jpg

Gee Drum, I really have to work it to try to keep up with you :)
Fantastic job on all of your photos this week, as usual!

X had those too. Offhand I can't think of any other site at this stage that I'm familiar with, but let's remember the crazy amount of rainfall we've had in the past 3 weeks so pumps would be necessary. Perhaps they've hit a stream, or it's just standard for pumping out water seepage and rain.

That system looks like a dewatering process, where groundwater is pumped out of the ground before excavation proceeds. They're installed at the Brickworks, for example.

Aug 22nd

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Hello from a new register

Thanks for everybody's work. I bought an unit on June,2007 and I have traced this thread for 2 years.

Last edited:
WOW ... that's a deep hole :eek:

thanks for the update dt ~

Back