Hilarious!

That second shot above by Jasonized is terrific, I'm still disappointed in the glass but I think that the shape will make up for it as one approaches the building from the south or north. I don't think the tower it's a true Rhombus shape as it has a longer span running north to south and shorter east to west as evidenced by Mike in TO's shot from above in Murano, or if you look at the floorplate in the floorplan selection. I look forward to seeing the McLaughlin Motors facade completed, but I'm not convinced that it's going to work with the glass above so time will tell I guess. They sure are doing a great job on the restoration though.

http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?476-Burano-(Bay-Grosvenor-Lanterra-48s-aA)/page41 post #605,

or examine the floorplate from a plan on the Burano site http://www.buranocondos.com/floorplans/verardo.pdf

I'd sorta wish that there would have been a greater difference between the Murano and Burano projects. they're different in design, but colour wise almost identical. It makes it seem like they build these towers in bulk which makes if feel cheap. sorta like the NY tower complex in north york but much lessened. but great on the skyline :)

I'm rather fond of how unity of colour binds the Muranii-Burano clan tightly together - much as the art direction and costume design in I Am Love does for the clan depicted therein.

The base should really set Burano apart from Murano. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Agreed. I'm especially eager to see the angled glass on the north side. With respect to the towers themselves, I agree with Shocker; these three towers really comprise one family and the cladding reflects that. This isn't a situation like CityPlace where the same cladding is being thrown up as a matter of convenience, even when the towers don't really relate to one another. That being said, I'm a little apprehensive about U Condos and 9 Grenville potentially flooding Bay street with too much aA-designed glass. I like Clewes' designs, but find them easier to fully appreciate as foils to nearby stone, brick and concrete facades.

Last edited:
March 01-11
5490807394_e968a4ea63_b.jpg

5490213933_555f18846a_b.jpg

5490215101_69a26c04c0_b.jpg

5490810844_0e82671a77_b.jpg

5490830662_7c0a86f8af_b.jpg

More Photos
[video=youtube;Piy4truRqEA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piy4truRqEA[/video]

The McLaughlin Motors facade looks sensational, wow! Is it just me or didn't it used to have more brown in it, it looks very gray now. That's not necessarily a complaint, just an observation. Great photos Drum!

The McLaughlin Motors facade looks sensational, wow! Is it just me or didn't it used to have more brown in it, it looks very gray now. That's not necessarily a complaint, just an observation. Great photos Drum!

I think the stone is the original but the bricks are all re-production.

why does the glass look so shiny in drum's photos? i know it has a lot to do with the weather, but i am shocked.

why does the glass look so shiny in drum's photos? i know it has a lot to do with the weather, but i am shocked.

They were shot on a sunny day and the sun is getting stronger now so presumably the glass is appearing more reflective. When I was walking along College Street on Monday I was a little startled by how shiny the glass was, keeping in mind the glass obviously hasn't been cleaned yet either.

Agreed. I'm especially eager to see the angled glass on the north side. With respect to the towers themselves, I agree with Shocker; these three towers really comprise one family and the cladding reflects that. This isn't a situation like CityPlace where the same cladding is being thrown up as a matter of convenience, even when the towers don't really relate to one another. That being said, I'm a little apprehensive about U Condos and 9 Grenville potentially flooding Bay street with too much aA-designed glass. I like Clewes' designs, but find them easier to fully appreciate as foils to nearby stone, brick and concrete facades.

Other than the Sun Life towers at King and University ( and I believe there may be a development up at Yonge and Finch, or Steeles, that does much the same ... ) I can't think of another tower complex that straddles a major street like the Muranii-Burano family does on Bay Street. The jaunty angle of Burano plays off of the more sedate placement of the twins across the street rather well. The Great Man's Three Graces of the Distillery - unified in colour but differentiated in shape - will do something similar there.

I'm a little apprehensive about U Condos and 9 Grenville potentially flooding Bay street with too much aA-designed glass. I like Clewes' designs, but find them easier to fully appreciate as foils to nearby stone, brick and concrete facades.

Bay Street looking north is certainly shaping up to be a prime Clewespotting location, where future generations of Toronto Style design tourists will gather in order to appreciate what our present age produced in a single glance. As for repitition, well, the anorexic Clewesian point towers are all variations on a theme - Wren designed 50 churches in London and they were all subtly different, for instance ...

yeah now the glass looks like plastic.

While the structure of Burano is interesting and the podium is well done, the glass cladding isn't great: the panels don't look perfectly even - the reflections make them appear warped. On Murano, the framing around each pane is more substantial, and gives the impression that the glass cladding is of higher quality (funny that, given it's earthbound tendancies).

Back