^Although I sense the video (cheap production values to be sure--is Concord really that cheap? Yes.:)) isn't aimed at locals--rather the foreign specu-vestor that has bought into these CP buildings--aka, mostly Chinese.

based on urbandreamer's conclusion, maybe CP should have put the words in the video in "specu-vestor" language, aka Chinese...

Cityplace park

They really have cheapened the park down from the original plans (Like everything in Cityplace). They put asphalt where the concrete paths were not finished. None of the zig-zag paths on the hill were built. The stepped down concrete area north of the big square is not built.

I don't get why they built the cool eclipse then put a hedge around it?

I'm interested in seeing how the water feature works, I had hoped it would overflow on the east side but think it won't.

Anyhow, any park is better than none, as long as we can access it from the east.

They really have cheapened the park down from the original plans (Like everything in Cityplace). They put asphalt where the concrete paths were not finished. None of the zig-zag paths on the hill were built. The stepped down concrete area north of the big square is not built.

I don't get why they built the cool eclipse then put a hedge around it?

I'm interested in seeing how the water feature works, I had hoped it would overflow on the east side but think it won't.

Anyhow, any park is better than none, as long as we can access it from the east.
It's just as well. The city couldn't handle taking care of such a complicated park. They'll barely maintain the simplified version.

^It's sad that this attitude and state of affaires is so readily accepted. Mediocrity and settling for second rate seems to be so consistently the perceived realistic objective of this city and its people. Where is the drive and motivation to be the best? Unfortunately those who do have this so often feel the need to go elsewhere to achieve it. Sad.

Here's a list of items that I believe needs to be done by 09-09:

1. Lay down grass on the SE lot
2. Install the many lamp posts around the park
3. Install the other art pieces
4. Prep and construct the north-south stretch on the most eastern side (that hopefully include a basketball court)
5. Get the water feature working.
6. Other features that I have missed.

All that in less than a month. I don't know...

Can't we at least wait until its done before we tear it a new one?

Fair enough, but many of us have been around here long enough to recognize the signs of the 'cheapening', and the city's maintenance track record is common knowledge.

^It's sad that this attitude and state of affaires is so readily accepted. Mediocrity and settling for second rate seems to be so consistently the perceived realistic objective of this city and its people. Where is the drive and motivation to be the best? Unfortunately those who do have this so often feel the need to go elsewhere to achieve it. Sad.
I was being sarcastic.

I think the 'people' want first rate but the city insists on mediocrity and settling for second rate by funneling 40% of its budget, or $4 billion, to unionized workers and their sick day banks. Perhaps an new election might help deliver the kind of greatness 'we the people' so crave by undercutting an entrenched and disfunctional system that seems to stymie greatness at every turn.

Last edited:
Perhaps, and I would like to believe that, but in theory at least people do ultimately get the government/policies they 'deserve'.

I was being sarcastic.

I think the 'people' want first rate but the city insists on mediocrity and settling for second rate by funneling 40% of its budget, or $4 billion, to unionized workers and their sick banks. Perhaps an new election might help deliver the kind of greatness 'we the people' so crave by undercutting an entrenched and disfunctional system that seems to stymie greatness at every turn.

We would need a "great" leader for "great things". I don't see that coming anytime in the near future.

Back