LOL these are good ones !! :p

It is doubtful, however, that these will make the cut:

1) Harper Park
2) Miller Park
4) Mistake By the Lake Park
5) Glorious City Workers Park

You just know.....

We really should have a thoughtful name for this park.

Given the canoe.....

1) Trudeau Park
2) Voyageur Park
3) Portaging Park
4) HEY, STOP That! You're Tipping The Canoe Park :D

Since the Canoe is on dry ground....

5) Gilligan's Park
6) Land Ahoy Park

Or to choose another feature of the park (the Toboggan Hill, LOL)

7) Bumpy Ride Park

Or a tribute to the designer

8) All Families are Psychotic Park
9) Gen-X Park

But you just know....in our creative city.....

It will be DRUM ROLL PLEASE........

Bremner Park.

Here is info on the competition..

Naming of New Park - Concord City Place Development

Committee Decision
The Toronto and East York Community Council:

1. Authorized a public competition to select the best name for the new park in the City Place neighbourhood, on the north side of Fort York Boulevard, between Spadina Avenue and Bathurst Street, with the judging criteria respecting the City's parameters for naming parks.

2. Directed the General Manager of Parks, Forestry and Recreation to report to Toronto and East York Community Council, once the panel selects a recommended name for the park, for authority to formally name the new park.

Origin
(September 15, 2009) Letter from Councillor Adam Vaughan, Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina

Summary
A spectacular new park in the downtown core, whose design was inspired by the vision of noted Canadian writer and artist Douglas Coupland was recently unveiled by developer Concord Adex Inc. The $8 million, 8-acre park in the City Place neighbourhood, the first new major downtown public park to be opened in over a decade, is the culmination of over five years of planning and construction.

The new park, which runs north from Fort York Boulevard, halfway between Spadina Avenue and Bathurst street features tree-lined paths, a range of public art, water features and the Terry Fox Miracle Mile, a track that winds through the park and is punctuated by glass-encased pedestals commemorating milestones in the Canadian hero's cross-Canada run to raise awareness and money for the fight against cancer. The southern border is a stretch of open space allowing visitors to enjoy the vistas of the City to the north. In keeping with its central theme of celebrating Canada and particularly Toronto and connection to its roots, the park is highlighted by the giant red canoe feature which is clearly visible from the nearby Gardiner and is fast becoming a Toronto icon.

This new park at present has not been formally named. It is proposed that in keeping with the excitement generated by this new facility, a name be chosen through a public competition. The competition, to be carried out in association with the publication "Spacing" would involve a panel of judges comprised of well-known Torontonians. Their deliberations would respect the City's parameters for naming parks. Formal approval of a selected park name would then be sought from the Toronto and East Community Council.

Background Information
TE27.165 - Letter from Councillor Vaughan - Naming of New Park
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-23437.pdf)

Thanks for that info. I am glad Spacing will be involved in the competition and judging process. This should help ensure that there are no corporate branding/naming rights associated with the park. Could you imagine Globe and Mail Park or Research in Motion Park?

While I agree that this is an exciting way to generate buzz, I fear that the longer this process takes the more entrenched the name CityPlace Park will become. If that is the case then you have one park, two names and no impact. Still, I will email the judges pushing forward Parc Ishpatina Park to signify the highest point in Ontario, the origin of the word Spadina and an illusion to the Northern Ontario elements found in the park.

I think it should just be called City Park. A bland name for a bland underwhelming park.

Park Disappointment Parc
Frugal Park
Park So-so
(Cheap) Skate Park
Miller Lite Park
You think this is bad, wait until you see the bridge Park
Condo Park
South Park

thank you all ... these are some great ideas for park names ... if we get enough submissions, someone can even start a UT poll to vote on the 'preferred' name for 'Cityplace Park' <-- I hope that's not the final name

We really should have a thoughtful name for this park.

Given the canoe.....

1) Trudeau Park
2) Voyageur Park
3) Portaging Park
4) HEY, STOP That! You're Tipping The Canoe Park :D

Since the Canoe is on dry ground....

5) Gilligan's Park
6) Land Ahoy Park

1) Making-Love-in-a-Canoe Park - Let's face it, someone will try it sooner or later.
2) Pierre Berton Park

This page has been the most entertaining and thoughtful (as in humorous) page this year on UT. I'm most partial to Irishmonk's suggestions, very funny stuff.

Back