I guess, then, they may keep some kind of fencing up, if only to restrict admission to consenting partners 18 yrs and over. Lovers' Park, they can call it. Where everyone can go at it like Sook-Yin Lee and her partner in Shortbus. (Absolutely appropriate reference point, all things considered.)

yes, I'll never be able to look at her the same way again after that. But are you trying to suggest that the red canoe is the equivalent of faking an orgasm?

Last edited:
I guess, then, they may keep some kind of fencing up, if only to restrict admission to consenting partners 18 yrs and over.

They could replicate that foot-high steel step-over from the Simcoe Street wave deck, and replace the warning signs indicating that people may slip, with warning signs that people may slip... on something else.

Cityplace park

I'm happy to report that cityplace (or whatever) park is being legally used now.
A growing group of Canada Geese have taken up residence. Maybe one day in the distant future Humans can legally use it too.

"We have the right, nay, the DUTY as Canadians to make love in any and all canoes we occupy!"

Apparantly this is the public space in Minneapolis to get it on...

300px-Spoonbridge_and_Cherry.jpg

My understanding is that video cams have been installed.

Even Kuitenbrouwer can't get in...

Nope, the park is not open
Posted: October 06, 2009, 3:09 PM by Peter Kuitenbrouwer

So much for that new park designed by Douglas Coupland, at the heart of the CityPlace condo forest. A few weeks ago the mayor opened the place, Canoe Hill Park or whatever it's going to be called, with great pomp. I thought I'd swing by yesterday to see who was using it. But I could not enter.

Workers had removed the fencing from around the four hectare park for the opening, but now they've put the fences all back up, blocking Dan Leckie Way north of Lake Shore Boulevard West. "No Thru Traffic," reads a sign. "No access to Bathurst. Construction Traffic Only." Another sign reads, "Sidewalk Closed. Use Other Sidewalk." This is getting less and less inviting. The third sign says, "Construction Site. No Park Access." And then, in case you haven't gotten the message, the sign adds, "Park Not Open." Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/toronto/archive/2009/10/06/nope-the-park-is-not-open.aspx

Cityplace park

Looks like the park will not be open till they excavate out block 31. What a joke the preview opening with the political speeches were! They don't appear to be doing anything in the park work wise now.

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
If that is true then it is a shame. I'd rather the developer had focused on connecting CityPlace west the grid rather than constructing an vacant park. The community would be much better served by a complete intersection at Bathurst/Fort York and a pedestrian bridge over the railway.

It'll all come in time but there is a risk that 50% of the new trees will be dead by then.

It's the responsibility of the city to build the bridge now since CP handed the money over to the city. As for the road, I doubt it will be open until Parade finishes? Otherwise they will need to add hoarding around Parade to avoid people walking into the construction ground. If they intend to add hoarding to Parade, they would still need to wait for Luna to finish, otherwise they would need to block that off too, including block 31. It's a lot of blocking to add in just to open the park. So I don't know...

Pretty obvious to me what's keeping the park closed: the construction trailers must be gone from the street before anyone's allowed to roam around, probably due to insurance reasons.

I'd say Spring 2010 is a more reasonable time for that to happen.

Cityplace park

Just an FYI but Concord now has security patrols spot checking the park and patrolling the park now.

Weren't there always?

When I was there during the summer... just after the "sneak preview", we were chased out by a security guard.

Actually we were just walking through to get from Bathurst to Spadina and saw the security guard chase away another group. We told her we were just passing through and she seemed like she just gave up and said fine go ahead. Then as we were leaving the fenced area we saw another group walking in. They should just open up the area already...

Back