Downsview Park needs a push like this to get done already.. Id love for it all to be a park but if some of it needs to be development to make the park develop sooner then later its a worthy comprimise.

Hi There,

I was asked on a different thread if AGLgrass was going to be installed at CityPark Place (AGLgrass was the Artificial Grass used at the Harbourfront).

FYI...AGLgrass was not the product or company used for the Citypark. It was a sports field product that they went with from a different supplier.

My personal opinion (even if it wasn't our grass) is that there is much better realistic options for Artificial Grass out there that is durable enough for a multi-play area. I was very surprised on the choice for the park.

That's surprising... I just assumed it was the same stuff they use down at Harbourfront since it was so well received. Now I'll have to go take a look at this stuff in person and see if it's any good.

Was your aglgrass really made to be used in a sports field type setting though? Perhaps they needed something that would stand up to a heavy foot traffic (ie soccer, etc).

That's surprising... I just assumed it was the same stuff they use down at Harbourfront since it was so well received. Now I'll have to go take a look at this stuff in person and see if it's any good.

Was your aglgrass really made to be used in a sports field type setting though? Perhaps they needed something that would stand up to a heavy foot traffic (ie soccer, etc).

Actually, our company has done many local sport fields like the one at Upper Canada College, St. Micheal's college and Birch Mount stadium... The same style of grass we used at the Harbourfront is the same at McMaster University. In fact, the whole reason our grass was used at the Harbourfront was because of the high level of traffic from all the events they have.

The things I noticed when I was at Cityplace taking a closer look was:
It was had a shine to it.
The rubber infill was on top of the grass fibers and not between the blades like it should be.
Your able to see all the seams
Your able to lift up the corners
worst you able to pull out some of the grass blades.

The newer styles of grass on the market have multi coloured grass blades (more natural looking)
Properly installed you should not see the infill or seams
A good products blades should not be easily lifted out.

As I mentioned before, I was very surprised they chose this type of grass for such a landmark application in the City. Beside our company, many other companies have access to some variation of they newer styles of turf on the market.

The reason, I pointed out some of the above is because applications like this take will be seen by many. The may hurts future considerations for other projects in the City.

Artificial Grass meets the needs of so many different applications and we are only as good as the last projects put down. No matter what company does a project. Its still a relatively new idea in Canada to use Artificial Grass for other applications.

The reason, I pointed out some of the above is because applications like this take will be seen by many. The may hurts future considerations for other projects in the City.

So what they installed is that cheap backyard stuff, instead of an industrial grade Field-Turf.:mad:

Actually, that product is closer to what they offer for sports field. Field turf is just a brand of Artificial turf. Field turf is the company that did BMO and Rogers Centre. I think that styles has spoken for itself:)

The next generation of Artificial Grass styles has a realistic look durable enough to handle lots of activity including sports fields.

Our challenges is that we are have to educate people about the differences between products/installations out there. But, that being said " You get what you pay for" just like everything else in life.

If it's good enough for the Blue Jays and TFC, then it should be good enough for casual use in a park.

Well, You would think that would be the case.

It should be better for both of them. But, if you have followed the news. BMO is going back to natural grass because of all the complaints and Rogers centre should be replacing theirs soon too. If you've watched a game on TV or had a chance to be there in person... All, I can say is that it they can a much better experience.

Both areas should not receive any complaints or have to be replaced prematurely.

Actually, Both fields mentioned probably won't see the same amount of activity on them like the Harbourfront centre will or a school that rent their field out to the community.

However, we are talking about highly-paid and picky athletes, that probably grew up playing on natural turf. They want to be on top of their game and earn hgih million-dollar salaries. They will make the club owners aware of anything that they feel will affect their performances. From the club owners' standpoint, the athletes are million-dollar investments. They too want their investments to be happy and perform. I don't think it's quite the same scenario with a playing field in a public park.

Good points and very, very true.

My comments were more directed to the fact that you would not even hear those complaints with some of the other types of products out there. As some one mentioned on another tread that they didn't even realize the grass at the Harbourfront was Artificial.

When the U-20 soccer teams were down. A few of them were practicing on our field at Upper Canada College. We had testimonials from a few different teams stating that they noticed the difference.

Whether, its a park, sport fields, residential home, or rooftop applications. People should be able to get a grass that will last for a long time and still look real.

That's why they invest all that money for it. Artificial grass is intended to last 15-25 years without complaints or breakdown.

The field-turf they use in the Rogers Centre and BMO Field is pretty terrible (although it's better than the astro-turf they use to have in the SkyDome... which was even more terrible). It's very obviously fake... and apparently does not wear well, as they've decided to replace it at BMO field. I'm not a multi-million dollar athlete and even I hate it (you can try it for yourself at the next auto show).

The stuff they have at harbourfront centre (that the poster above is refering to) is much better. As I said in another thread, you actually have to put your hand down on it to see it's fake. I optimistically assumed this is what they put in at this park but I guess not. I suppose Concord is just cheaping out as usual. Quite disappointing...

I suppose Concord is just cheaping out as usual. Quite disappointing...

The bash-fest continues - not sure how specifically it is cheapening out when its the largest private investment in a public park in decades. I think a poster earlier quoted Mr. Vihant as being frustrated that costs had ballooned to double the initial budget - sounds cheap to me... but I guess that is the automatic reaction around here

note: obviously as compared to the over-stated renderings they over-promised - concord should have managed public expectations better and people would be singing them praises for bringing the exact same park to fruition... however the renderings did not detail the specific type of artificial grass used, so how is this being interpreted as cheap now?

I agree... I'm sure the grass was not cheap in price. I just think they could have chose a more realistic option for such a landmark park.

They should know that because we supplied and installed grass in their presentation centre and on one of their rooftop terraces. I'm surprised they went with that option for the park.

Daily Commercial News

So I guess Cityplace Park has NOT been 'officially' named yet ~

Icons of Canada decorate downtown Toronto park
September 22, 2009

150.jpg

GEORGE PIMENTEL - Giant representations of fishing bobbers figure among the art works at the new Concord CityPlace park in downtown Toronto. In the rear is the Beaver Dam.

It took five years to plan and build and the price tag hovers around the $8 million mark, but the new park at Concord CityPlace is worth every minute of time and every penny spent, says Terry Hui, president and CEO of Concord Adex Inc.

“It has become an amazing public space that is certain to be treasured by generations,†says Hui, whose firm is the developer of the project.

The as-yet-unnamed eight-acre park was designed by Canadian artist/author Douglas Coupland and landscape architects Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg. It was inspired by Canadian hero Terry Fox.

A large part of the park’s appeal is that it seems to offer something for everyone, Concord Adex says. It is much more than a patch of green in a city that sometimes seems dominated by asphalt and concrete.

There are patches of woodland, intimate trails and pathways, interesting topography such as the bluff created by the materials excavated to make way for Concord CityPlace’s towers, sports fields, the Terry Fox Miracle Mile jogging and running track and public art that celebrates the city’s history.

The Miracle Mile is dotted at measured distances by glass-encased monuments to Fox. Each will contain pictures from Coupland’s book on the Vancouver teen who ran across Canada in 1981 to raise funds for cancer research.

The overall theme of the park is what Coupland calls “A Library of Canada.†The park uses not just art works and other features but also the topography itself to capture a sense of the country and its spirit, says corporate art consultant Karen Mills, who suggested and selected the public art to be created by Coupland and who co-ordinated the project.

“We used earth excavated from Concord CityPlace building sites to create a natural bluff and other features,†she says.

“The topography reflects features of the original shoreline as seen by the pioneers who built this city and represents a statement about the place, the times and the history this site has seen.â€

The park runs north from Fort York Boulevard and extends from just west of Spadina Avenue almost to Bathurst Street.

Its proximity to Fort York and the fort’s role in Canadian history is only part of the tale the new park will tell.

“The idea is to wrap the men, women and children who will use the park regularly — or even occasionally — in a living testament to the country, the city and the region,†says Hui. “Its features will involve them not just on a physical level but on an intellectual and emotional level as well.â€

Park visitors can connect with history through its various art works such as the Beaver Dam and giant representation of fishing bobbers or the dancing jets of its water feature. All capture the past of the city and all form a link with its future.

The park is one of the largest ever created by a private developer in the city’s history. But it will not be the last. Concord Adex plans a similar-sized central park for its newest project, Concord Park Place south of Sheppard Avenue East and west of Leslie Street. It also has created similar public parks in Vancouver at Concord Pacific Place.

A competition will be held to name the new Toronto park.

— PATRICIA WILLIAMS

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/article/id35410

A competition will be held to name the new Toronto park.

This should be interesting. Although the finalists might be easy to predict:

1) Toronto Park
2) Terry Fox Park
3) Canada Park
4) Heritage Park
5) Olympic Park

It is doubtful, however, that these will make the cut:

1) Harper Park
2) Miller Park
3) Richard Flordia Park
4) Mistake By the Lake Park
5) Glorious City Workers Park