Just saw that they added more sidewalk over the weekend. There are now 2 rectangles of sidewalk on both sides of the entrance and flat soil filling the insides of the rectangles. I'm kind of surprised that they've been doing all this landscaping now as I thought it would wait until the spring. What if it dropped below zero and snowed...I'm not a gardner but I suppose they wanted a solid flat ground for the winter so that they could just install grass easily on top as soon as everything thaws in the spring.

On the other hand there doesn't seem to really be much noticable progress on the inside of the lobby.

it's possibly for liability reasons too .... since they'll have residents moving in, with snow covering up the sidewalk and lawns, an uneven surface could cause someone to trip and fall.

Just saw that they added more sidewalk over the weekend. There are now 2 rectangles of sidewalk on both sides of the entrance and flat soil filling the insides of the rectangles. I'm kind of surprised that they've been doing all this landscaping now as I thought it would wait until the spring. What if it dropped below zero and snowed...I'm not a gardner but I suppose they wanted a solid flat ground for the winter so that they could just install grass easily on top as soon as everything thaws in the spring.

On the other hand there doesn't seem to really be much noticable progress on the inside of the lobby.

The photos above were taken Saturday around 4'ish, I didn't see any work taking place on site then. Surely they'll have the lobby doors ready in the next couple of days, if not by later today.

The photos above were taken Saturday around 4'ish, I didn't see any work taking place on site then. Surely they'll have the lobby doors ready in the next couple of days, if not by later today.

That would be pretty cool if we actually saw lobby doors today. I'm parked at the Green P across CASA today so I'll check it out at the end of the day.

Topsoil eh? Can they actually plant grass in this weather?

I forgot to mention last week that I saw into the parking garage which was open, you could see that it was fully paved, painted with spot numbers marked and plenty of mirrors to see around the tight looking turns. I took a picture but forgot to upload...can't do it right now as I'm at work.

Topsoil has been put down out front and the place looks way better with just that. Except for the unfinished lobby CASA looks like it's ready to receive residents. As a side note, O Noir down the street at Church & Charles has installed a giant canopy over the stairs to their restaurant. It's a bit big and ungainly but better than it looked before. The post office across the street from CASA has removed all of those broken down benches. This strip of Charles is starting to look very good.

Last edited:
Funny you mention Au Noir, when i was looking for that place it took me five minutes to find it. I tried the hotel first, and then was told it was underground...found it and enjoyed the experience, but good that it has a banner now at least. I agree that Charles is getting better and better...Casa makes a nice statement at street level, simple and classy.

I saw the top soil there earlier too, it really cleans up the front area nicely. If there's supposed to be grass there it's not going to go down until spring, it's too late in the season now. If it's trees to go in there I think it's probably too late for them now too. No front doors to Casa yet, surely that will happen this week.

I've seen probably a dozen different restaurants go into the O Noir spot over the years, unfortunately they never last long.

I spoke with the sales office late this afternoon and was told that the first residents supposed to occupy tomorrow have been pushed back to Wednesday as they are delayed getting the permits.

After work I went by the site and it completely looks like they're getting ready to welcome residents coming in and out using the front lobby. The top soil was all laid out and flush with the top of the curbs which looks great. Also there were a number of workers on the inside all sweeping up the lobby floor and cleaning it spotless (although it's just cement for now). There was also a machine sitting at the entrance (to install lobby doors?). Lastly there was a temporary sign up that reads "33 Charles St.".

Here are pics from last week and of the lobby today. Shame about the brick....this will probably only get worse...I don't know what they can do about it?

Attachments

• IMG00240-20091130-1822.jpg
    IMG00240-20091130-1822.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG00235-20091127-1437.jpg
    IMG00235-20091127-1437.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG00237-20091127-1438.jpg
    IMG00237-20091127-1438.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 243
Last edited by a moderator:

24 Wellesley got tagged a few weeks back too, they had it removed in four or five days. That's tagging #2 for that building.

this building turned out to be a success. special kudos to the architects and/or designers for keeping the large tree in front of the podium alive. now, the beak of the hat. i assume it will also be painted white? i wouldn't mind black. after all, shouldn't your hat always match your shoes?

Back