A late afternoon update, they're not only planting shrubs and trees but plants too! Who woulda' thought they would be planting in December. Learn something every day...

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I walked by Casa tonight and the lobby was glowing. However, I couldn't help but think that perhaps the building is a little too ambitious for a condo (i.e. Will the lobby, etc. be properly maintained in the years and decades to come?) and too ambitious for Charles St. (i.e. It overpowers everything else on what is a secondary street after all.)

Last edited:
I have a feeling that occupancy is behind a couple days as this morning when I went buy I saw crews installing the lobby doors. So unless there are residents using different doors to go in and out there can't be people living here just yet. The lobby is also full of crew doing all kinds of things and they have actually filled the entire top soil area with small plant type things. I did not expect anthing other than grass, good for Cresford!

The lobby, and many other aspects of these largely glass buildings, consume a lot of energy (that lobby will be very expensive to heat and cool). I heard one expert on the subject call these new buildings with a lot of glass (and no LEED designation), the equivalent of SUV's of the condo world. And they will come back to haunt their owners, in terms of energy costs.

Yes the building looks pretty, but has it taken any steps to make itself more energy efficient that it had to be?

I live in a 2-storey skyloft where west-facing is floor-to-ceiling wall-to-wall glass, and even with the motorized window shades down, from April-October the air conditioning runs constantly. Stunning to look at, but very energy inefficient!

I get my keys this Friday, Dec 4th .. Not sure how I am even going to get into the building yet... I drove by and saw the lobby too! I love it! Its gotta be one of the most impressive lobby in the city right now!

The lobby, and many other aspects of these largely glass buildings, consume a lot of energy (that lobby will be very expensive to heat and cool). I heard one expert on the subject call these new buildings with a lot of glass (and no LEED designation), the equivalent of SUV's of the condo world. And they will come back to haunt their owners, in terms of energy costs.

Yes the building looks pretty, but has it taken any steps to make itself more energy efficient that it had to be?

These glass buildings are a big mistake. Not to mention the fact that Casa has an outdoor pool and hot tub that are heated for year round use! Talk about a waste of energy! That is why BSN is a better investment (in my opinion). I know the Casa lovers will hate me but this is a compelling argument against this building. The energy and maintenance costs are going to get out of control!

Last edited:
Don't take the bait. We don't need another thread in lock down.

Don't take the bait. We don't need another thread in lock down.

Do you even have a counter-argument? There are serious problems with Casa and these flaws have been exposed. Living there is like saying "screw the environment". But I guess the idiots that moved in there are going to get what they deserve.

Actually, the forest green colour made me kinda like the building. It reminds me of one of my early 90's favourite trucks: the Eddie Bauer edition of the c.1992 Ford Explorer:

Explorergen1.jpg

Casa's equivalent would be the 2008 Explorer concept:

enclosure..eea1e2a

That means while BSN reflects c.1992 design, Casa is fully in the 2000's.

(Apologies for being OT, but I'm equally passionate about car design as I am about architecture, and find the comparison very On Topic. :))

Last edited:
If all glass was so inefficient then why would the new top LEED rated RBC office tower be all glass?

I really don't know anything myself but what I've been told is that glass helps in the winter if it's south exposure. In some cases glass will require more energy and in some it will save i.e. when the sun provides heat in colder weather. From what I was told is that it pretty much evens out. The lobby wont require much more A/C in the winter being glass as it's north facing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in a 2-storey skyloft where west-facing is floor-to-ceiling wall-to-wall glass, and even with the motorized window shades down, from April-October the air conditioning runs constantly. Stunning to look at, but very energy inefficient!

thanks simply Dan ... that's information only an occupant having experienced in these type of units would know ... note to self ~ :)

Back