kennyx said:
hmmm... may be a dumb question, but since I've never lived in a high rise before Im going to ask it...
If you were on floor 20, facing east (portofino model), Im assuming you wouldnt get a view anymore... But what about sunlight? Would you be in constant shade from the proposed new building?

I'm not too familiar with either development, but you would also have to take into consideration the setbacks and orientation of the building to the east.

I noticed that 45 Charles will be angled 45 degrees to the street so that may be to your benefit. Are they planning to move the location of the proposed 45 Charles closer to the curb or remain near its current place?

Casa Condominium Progress, Oct 5, 2008

Any word on when they will begin building out the glass lobby area?

Well, it looks like my earlier response was wrong. They've begun digging out for the lobby extension. (I'm guessing it's coming out an additional 12-15 feet).

^At work on the flooring of the 15th level. 32 more to go.

Oct 5th

Hi guys. I'm new to this thread. We bought a unit a year ago on a high floor and hope to move in by the end of next year. The part I hate is all the homeless people hanging out at the park. It's bad enough you cannot sit down on the benches, but they use the greenery as toilets and it really reaks. Hopefully this changes in the future. I realize this is downtown and it is to be expected but it really bothers me when they lie down in the middle of the sidewalks, etc. As for the building, it is really moving ahead swiftly and I can't wait. A few photos attached.

Attachments

• DSC03007.jpg
    DSC03007.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC03009.jpg
    DSC03009.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC03010.jpg
    DSC03010.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 300
Hi guys. I'm new to this thread. We bought a unit a year ago on a high floor and hope to move in by the end of next year. The part I hate is all the homeless people hanging out at the park. It's bad enough you cannot sit down on the benches, but they use the greenery as toilets and it really reaks. Hopefully this changes in the future. I realize this is downtown and it is to be expected but it really bothers me when they lie down in the middle of the sidewalks, etc. As for the building, it is really moving ahead swiftly and I can't wait. A few photos attached.

Well that's part of city living... as Toronto grows there will be more and more homeless people but most of them don't cause any problems... don't get me wrong I'm not referring to that particular park but downtown in general...
Perhaps builder will throw some money in for redevelopment...

Hi Waterscapes Guy and welcome to the forum. The usual suspects often appear rather drunk, high or simply waiting around to die... but so far appear to be quite harmless.

For what it's worth, a cop was hovering around them this morning. Not sure what giving them a ticket could possibly achieve.

DSCN3835.jpg

Hi Waterscapes Guy and welcome to the forum. The usual suspects often appear rather drunk, high or simply waiting around to die... but so far appear to be quite harmless.

For what it's worth, a cop was hovering around them this morning. Not sure what giving them a ticket could possibly achieve.

DSCN3835.jpg
Thanks guys.
casa-guy...you must live real close huh? Seems like you are able to track this project quite often and we all appreciate the great photos you are sharing.
Thanks

On occasion there are a few displaced folks in these finger parks but I see more dog walkers and neighbourhood types there than anyone else. These are wonderful little parks.

DSCN3835.jpg

I've lived in this neighbourhood for 20 years and the situation with street people has definitely gotten worse since the Sanctuary came along. They occupy the church next to Casa and they basically give out free food at lunch and supper times to homeless people and anybody else who wants a free meal. It sounds good on paper but in reality it just traps people on the streets since once you start giving people things free they tend to lose their incentive to take care of themselves. Some of the people you see on the streets here are the same ones who were here 15 years ago. I'm trying to raise 2 little girls in this environment and although I love downtown, it's a constant battle to keep the neighbourhood safe and clean. I forget who said it, but the saying "the price of freedom is constant vigilance" is very appropriate here. The other day my 2 little girls and my wife sat across the street from the Sanctuary after school and watched people fighting and arguing outside the Sanctuary and doing drug deals under the scaffolding between Casa and the church. If places like the Sanctuary are going to exist, they need to take responsibility for the effects they create in the neighbourhood, they can't exist in a vacuum. Some private security would be nice. If you move into this neighbourhood or any downtown neighbourhood, make sure you complain to the community liasion at your local police station. They are usually familiar with all the street people in a particular neighbourhood, especially the troublemakers. BTW, the police officer in the photo is not giving out tickets. The police cruise the parks pretty regularly and take down names of drunks and loiterers or people sleeping in the parks. They want them to know that someone is keeping tabs on them and they can't do whatever they want.

while I agree homeless street people are of a concern to this area and other parts of the City .... I don't particularly agree with:

If you move into this neighbourhood or any downtown neighbourhood, make sure you complain to the community liasion at your local police station.

its not a fair expectation for new residents to move into the area (ie: CASA, BSN, 1BE) and kick out / complain about the poor + less fortunate population that existed in the area; realistically purchasers should realise what they have bought into, this issue existed before condos were proposed/built

I'd love to take that unrealistic statement that is an absolute discrimination against the homeless and show it to one of the guys who helps to run Sanctuary. I've met him, and he is a very interesting, great guy, who is doing great things.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Get over the fact that homeless people do exist... their goal is not to hurt you.

And the numbers have no INCREASED since Sanctuary went in. Rather, more show up because they are getting the help they need there. Sanctuary was there before CASA, and believe it or not, it's doing alot more for this city than your big condo. I like CASA, but still--- get real.

while I agree homeless street people are of a concern to this area and other parts of the City .... I don't particularly agree with:

its not a fair expectation for new residents to move into the area (ie: CASA, BSN, 1BE) and kick out / complain about the poor + less fortunate population that existed in the area; realistically purchasers should realise what they have bought into, this issue existed before condos were proposed/built

It's not a matter of compaining about 'poor or unfortunate people', it's a matter of compaining about street people who are dealing drugs and assaulting people. If you don't do anything the situation gets worse. People have a right to live in a safe clean neighbourhood no matter where it is.

androiduk actually pointed out that he's lived in the neighbourhood for 20 years, and is not just moving in when Casa completes.

To say that "this is how things were, get over it" isn't valid in my opinion, as we should all strive to improve things.

Helping people who need help is a positive thing.

Surrendering parks and other public spaces (of which there are too few in the city as it is) to people who hang out there all day, drinking, urinating, fighting, dealing drugs, etc, is definitely bad and we should not accept it. Note that I'm not equating homeless people with those who do the above.

We should draw a distinction and be more strict about what sorts of things we are "okay" with.

It's not a matter of compaining about 'poor or unfortunate people', it's a matter of compaining about street people who are dealing drugs and assaulting people. If you don't do anything the situation gets worse. People have a right to live in a safe clean neighbourhood no matter where it is.

LMAO. You actually think that complaining about the street people (to anyone, police or people who actually work with and help the homeless) makes things get better and creates a safe neighbourhood! Wow...

androiduk actually pointed out that he's lived in the neighbourhood for 20 years, and is not just moving in when Casa completes.

To say that "this is how things were, get over it" isn't valid in my opinion, as we should all strive to improve things.

Helping people who need help is a positive thing.

Surrendering parks and other public spaces (of which there are too few in the city as it is) to people who hang out there all day, drinking, urinating, fighting, dealing drugs, etc, is definitely bad and we should not accept it. Note that I'm not equating homeless people with those who do the above.

We should draw a distinction and be more strict about what sorts of things we are "okay" with.

A well-reasoned response BobBob, and one which provides an interesting counterpoint to androiduk's valid, if exaggerated, complaint.

Furthermore, as URBAN!TY rightly notes, it is our responsibility to help those less fortunate than us to regain their dignity and place in society. I applaud the efforts of the Center, and hope that its work continues as this neighborhood expands.

I do not own a condo in Casa and have no intention of buying one. I'm quite happy where I am in my little apt. I'm pretty sure the mod is going to end this pretty soon so let me sum up in saying, if you want to help people, then help them, don't create a situation of dependency where they will never improve and will simply die on the streets at a very young age.

Back