If all goes well, 1 Bloor could be a bigger version of Casa but on steroids! because they've both got plenty of balconies, blue glass, and a lit up rooftop :D

the light looks great. i'm going to be a picky peter, however. i still think the underside of the "hat" needs to be painted white, not only to cover the concrete but to also match the balconies.

^ I agree, it's messy and unfinished looking even from the street. It's kind of curious they would paint the undersides of all balconies except the penthouse. Maybe they're going to leave it up to a penthouse purchaser to decide.

Now, to relight the Simpson Tower hat
81747550_89a8409cfe.jpg

If all goes well, 1 Bloor could be a bigger version of Casa but on steroids! because they've both got plenty of balconies, blue glass, and a lit up rooftop :D

Is it just my imagination or would it be good for CASA buyers that the "new" 1BE may look a lot like CASA's bigger more extravagent brother? In other words being similar and next door to what will be one of the most expensive condos.

I'm a bit puzzled by the relationship being drawn between Casa and 1BE. With its fritted glass balconies, I believe 1BE will seem more the exuberant sister to Festival Tower, even though the two are a couple km apart. Casa's purity of form and dress will keep it in a class by itself.

Last edited:
^ I think you mean the re-re-re-re-lighting of the Simpson Tower. Since it was built in '68, I can remember at least 5 spates of it working and then falling into disuse.

Personally I always found it overwhelming and not in a good way. Instead of being New York beacon-like, it was garish and overbearing. Way too bright for the skyline. Dimmer LED's would be acceptable. Plus they could pulse through the rainbow as has become so fashionable in the new millennium, despite the fact that it has been done to death.

I'm a bit puzzled by the relationship being drawn between Casa and 1BE. With its fritted glass balconies, I believe 1BE will seem more the exuberant sister to Festival Tower, even though the two are a couple km apart. Casa's purity of form and dress will keep it in a class by itself.

don't worry.. it was just a little thing i compared it to.. 1BE is similar to Casa because they're both very blue (for yorkville) and they both have lots of wrap around balconies...

I think 1 Bloors design is much more intriguing then casa's.. but then again, Casa is nowhere as big as 1 bloor :)

Casa looks gorgeous, and Uptown makes a nice counter-point to it. Very pleased with how this has turned out and the eventual addition of 1 Bloor will contribute nicely to the growing midtown cluster.

I doubt the roof light make much difference to overall lighting costs. First of all, they are only on at night. The hallways, lobby, parking areas and likely many of the amenity areas are lit 24/7.

Except they've turned off the lights tonight. I wonder how lighting affects maintenance fees?

I doubt the roof light make much difference to overall lighting costs ... they are only on at night.

Operating cost (hydro) is the primary reason why earlier phases of Cityplace towers (ie: Apex, Optima, HVE) have turned off the architectural rooftop feature lighting, that is a decision the condo board can make when it is formed ... the difference between rooftop exterior lighting and interior hallway lighting is quite simple, the first is purely decorative whereas the latter serves a functional purpose

If all condos installed "On demand" lighting, in which the hallways are dimmed in the late night hours or when there is no traffic and come to full illumination if someone walks onto the floor, this world could save tons of energy.

I hate our wasteful society.

Last edited:

Back