the other half of the bridge is now being assembled ... looked like half the frame is done, but the vantage point from spadina was awkard.

I think it has to do with their (and GO's) 19th century signalling technology: the driver has to be able to see coloured lights a couple of kilometres down the line...

We don't have to see it. In fact there are countless locations where you cannot 'see' a signal in time to stop for it, while traveling at normal speeds. We know exactly where the signals are and what to expect based on the signals before it so that if the advanced signal gives warning of an impeding stop at the next signal, then we have to take action and slow the train down until we can actually see the next signal. In some locations this may mean slowing down to 20 mph or less, due to poor sightlines. Therefore, because of poor signal placement, or due to unavoidable obstructions where a signal is necessary (such as the Union Station Rail Corridor), there is a good chance that a train will incur a unnecessary delay. Increased sight lines simply means increased efficiency. And of course there's also the issue of protecting the right of way for electrification, and yes its realistic to say thats a decade away (hopefully not more... but you never know when the government is involved)

Yes, the technology has been around for a while but its not without its uses, especially considering some parts of the system don't even have signals. I would personally love to see them go with Cab signaling as opposed to using CTC. But then again the Toronto subway, a dedicated, far less extensive(in terms of distance) passenger rail service - completed isolated from other movements(freight or other passenger railways) and which has been around for far longer than GO transit, still has yet to implement ATO, their 'step ahead' of current technology. Where it is much more needed, if you compare the current capacity constraints on either system.

So in other words, don't hold your breath because until the money starts rolling, its not going to happen and thats not going to happen until things get really bad (congestion wise).

Last edited:
Pics taken August 17, 2011

URdaC.jpg

VxDf0.jpg

zSaOb.jpg

PygvX.jpg

But then again the Toronto subway, a dedicated, far less extensive(in terms of distance) passenger rail service - completed isolated from other movements(freight or other passenger railways) and which has been around for far longer than GO transit, still has yet to implement ATO, their 'step ahead' of current technology. Where it is much more needed, if you compare the current capacity constraints on either system.

Actually the SRT has been operating with ATC since 1985. And subway trains don't have to slow to 20mph to see signals, because they have short stopping distances.

I think we should see the "horse head" feature take shape soon on the north span's metalwork. I reckon how that shapes up will be a huge factor in bridge's overall scoring in the aesthetics department.

And said so before, but I really think it's a mistake from a pedestrian circulation perspective that the south end access ramp slopes down to the west towards Dan Leckie rather than east towards Parade's "crotch".

This is a damn big bridge. I didn't fully realize its scale until I saw the above photo with the men working on the frame.

I think we should see the "horse head" feature take shape soon on the north span's metalwork. I reckon how that shapes up will be a huge factor in bridge's overall scoring in the aesthetics department.

And said so before, but I really think it's a mistake from a pedestrian circulation perspective that the south end access ramp slopes down to the west towards Dan Leckie rather than east towards Parade's "crotch".

Actually its the best thing, not a mistake, that it slopes towards Dan Leckie Way, as that is the most direct route to the Waterfront. The bridge was built to provide a connection to the waterfront, not to Parade. A bike lane is also going to be added to Dan Leckie Way, making this the safest route, and easiest route for pedestrians and cyclists to get from Front Street to the lake. Parade's 'crotch' is not the destination.

I really do hope that stairs are added to help people coming from the East get onto the bridge faster though. I live in Luna, and the bridge would be useless for me if I have to walk all the way to the west just to walk back East, so I can cross North. Its easier to just use Spadina.

Last edited:
Like.... the Spadina bridge already is?

Bathurst is better.

They are stripping the form work for the north ramp since the concrete has been pour for it.

Not sure why the south section is in 2 pieces other than they could not get the level needed to do it. At some point, those two sections will have to become one before it can put into place. They could erected the smaller section first, but would require extra time to bolt it to the existing one before adding the main section.

The ironworker was sealing the bolts today.
6062997076_d2fa277dc5_b.jpg

6062990662_04c1b1a212_b.jpg

6062442237_86a5b00da2_b.jpg

6063000364_29f8c278f4_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6081/6062450991_f9fb6420d3_m.jpg

6062447701_8b34ac5d23_b.jpg

6062471347_688ddc919a_b.jpg

Back