Be that as it may, we are still getting far more here than we are losing. This little cluster of buildings has changed from an abandoned and forgotten site, isolated from the city amongst brownfields, to the revitalized heart of an emerging neighbourhood... and more than the sum of its gorgeous restorations or the success of its adaptive resuse the vibrancy of its renewed engagement with the city makes the DD a living and thriving urban environment rather than a preserved heritage artifact or tourist attraction, even if there is still room to accommodate aspects of those things.

I find that the simple glass lines provide a subtle frame for the brick and steel of the district. Its minimalism only serves to emphasize the hard materials used in the district at eye level.

The benefits of a minimalist structure in the district are neutralized by the fact these towers are so much bigger than the heritage buildings. They're going to overwhelm them.

Not to be a phunky monkey but, this discussion has been done to death! People have their opinions in regards to the towers being good or bad and no amount of further debate is going to change that.

The area is evolving and developing. This is worthy of discussion. You can always count floor heights in other threads if you find this tiresome.

I'm not sure what you mean by counting floor heights but, whatever. Here, here to another50 pages of worthy, unresolvable bickering.

these new buildings will provide some beautiful reflective lighting into the historic district in the late afternoon.

Are these last two buildings (in thread title) being built at the same time? I know there was one big hole, which i assume is the one with the crane now, but what of the other? Is it in early sales or has it commenced construction also..

Are these last two buildings (in thread title) being built at the same time? I know there was one big hole, which i assume is the one with the crane now, but what of the other? Is it in early sales or has it commenced construction also..
According to their website ( http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/frameset.html ) suites are available in both and Pure Spirit is under construction now and Clear Spurit is 'starting soon".

The crane of Clear Spirits with the 'best' hoarding in TO (May 15th).

4616348430_8ed1e3d986_o.jpg

I still can't believe they're doing this. I was down at the distillery recently and without the large brick rack house framing the space, it feels strangely amorphous. The possibilities with that rack house were endless, as a cursory look at Barton Myers' Seagram Museum would show. Unfortunately now all we're getting is another 50s ripoff glass tower looming overhead. Sigh.

^Are you serious?!? Personally, I think some generic modern, glass towers are much more complimentary to the Distillery than a PoMo windowless box. (forgetting what 500 more people to the local population will do for the Distillery and surrounding neighbourhood) Of course, you aren't suggesting that Rackhouse M would of been better transformed into a Pomo Box but I don't know either how anyone can still lament its loss. It was a windowless brick box that overpowered the surrounding Victorian architecture. Everything has potential to be more than it is with unlimited resources as well.

Back