They should just tear the entire thing down and make it the Hoarding District.

only if the blue l'oreal hoarding from TLS can have the main spotlight in this district.

another view of the hoarding from today's blogTO post.

20090924-Distillery-tables.jpg

A+ on the rationale and execution here, so many finished projects dont get this degree of workmanship! though I wonder if its advised to wear a hard hat when seated at one of those tables?

Oh. My. God.

The term 'hoarding' does not do justice to what has been erected here. This is far and away the finest structure of this purpose in Toronto that I can recall ever hearing about.

I think that a new, more fitting, name for this quality of structure should be chosen. Since this is intended to conceal what is going on behind it, and is also quite attention-grabbing in its own right, how about 'building jacket' -- or even 'tuxedo'?

Bill

Last edited:
ya no doubt, I hope there is some use for this afterwards and that it doesnt just get scrapped.

thanks for the pics Casaguy, you on vacation this week?

Gooderham going up.....

Just spoke with the folks at the Gooderham sales centre and it looks like they are 75% sold and the builder has decided to proceed with construction. Nov 30th was the expiration date of the 2nd and final Economic Viability extension.

I find that the new buildings actually serve to define the historic heart of district. It's also nice to see it looking less isolated and more connected with the city.

I find that the new buildings actually serve to define the historic heart of district. It's also nice to see it looking less isolated and more connected with the city.

How much "defining" does it need? I thought the district was pretty well defined on its own. You know what would really help define it? These modern buildings around it instead of the middle.

How much "defining" does it need? I thought the district was pretty well defined on its own. You know what would really help define it? These modern buildings around it instead of the middle.

I find that the simple glass lines provide a subtle frame for the brick and steel of the district. Its minimalism only serves to emphasize the hard materials used in the district at eye level.

I thought when it was isolated it was actually a good thing. I remember my first visit before the tall condos, I remarked to a friend that it was like you were in a different city. I was only reminded that I was in Toronto when I stepped out to the main street and saw the skyline that I was jolted back to reality. And I love city skylines this was just a nice little urban (historic) escape. Kinda like when you are in a ravine park, you can forget that you are in the middle of a large urban area only this was a small historic area. That is gone now with the tall condos, but I do understand the need for these buildings to offset the loss from the artists.

History is being made every day. The disused former industrial site underwent many changes over the decades before it was revived as a residential, cultural and retail pedestrian district - the Victorians demolished the landmark windmill, for instance. And it used to be residential, but the rows of workers' cottages were taken down and the elegant home of one of the founders of the company is long since gone - replaced by circular storage tanks, which have also since been demolished - so it's perfectly sympathetic to revive the buildings for residential uses.

Back