May 17, 2013

p1220116.jpg

p1220118j.jpg

Who says new condos are incapable of hosting interesting retail? The beer hall that recently opened is awesome!

A few photos taken yesterday of Gooderham, from Clear Spirit.
(click image for larger version)

Looking strait:

Looking up:

Looking down, on to amenities/pool:

One thing I noticed - The pool is surrounded by walls, then has Clear Spirit on the West. Most of the sunlight will be blocked out for bathers... no fun!

If these boxes with hats on top become Toronto's signature style of architecture I'm leaving for good. After spending the last 4 years in university and coming back for a year, the mediocrity and short-sightedness of Toronto really wears you down quick.

If these boxes with hats on top become Toronto's signature style of architecture I'm leaving for good. After spending the last 4 years in university and coming back for a year, the mediocrity and short-sightedness of Toronto really wears you down quick.

The rooftop mechanical spaces on these buildings seem particularly terrible to me. Is there any reason that the mechanical space can't be tucked in a continuation of the basic design, rather than plopped on top like some sort of garden shed?

The only thing wrong with the hats are the less than elegant vents: they look terrible.

Otherwise, what's wrong with them? There's nothing inherently wrong with a building having a "hat" if that's how you want to characterize it. Why should buildings necessarily continue to their roof exactly as they have risen? Sure, that can look good, and a hat if poorly handled can look bad, but it's not a given.

Back