The Clear Spirit condo they're actually selling bulges out slightly in the midsection ( there's a model of it in the sales centre ) and the Gooderham condo that went on sale a few days ago has a slight "turning torso" look - thus matching Clear Spirit's slightly curvy appearance in a different way.

If a rendertree falls, and no renderpeople are around to hear, does it make a noise?

That assumes a pre-existing renderforest in which the rendertree is to fall. But a fascinating question nonetheless.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, renderpeople have no souls.

Does the guy in blue look like he has no soul? lol

I wish I could have pants like that!

distillery-district_4.jpg

Those are just bad renderings- and the render people are the worst! You'd think that aA would have enough sense and well money to finally buy a DVD with some render people for populating..geez..this is sad.

That aside, these towers do seem a little out of proportion though don't they?And can someone please post a map of the DD as to where these two new towers are going to be built. Thanks..

p5

The woman in the blue looks like Klaus Kinski in Fitzcarraldo. This is no opera house in the jungle, though.

That person in the right foreground must work for the Ministry of Silly Walks. The legs must cross each other when walking in this manner (left foot to the right, and right foot to the left, relative to the axis of travel), and the overall effect would be very comical-looking.

Maybe they plan to ship in Harry's Hamilton pyramid. Imagine the renderperson possibilities there!

If these are not the designs being marketed, are there any in circulation presently?

no one reads the Globe? :)

Last tower for historic Distillery

From Friday's Globe and Mail

May 30, 2008 at 11:49 AM EDT

* Gooderham Condominiums
* Builder/Developer: Cityscape Development Corp. and Dundee Realty Corp.
* Size: 493 to 1,983 square feet
* Price: $248,900 to $1,253,900
* Sales Centre: The Stables (Building 51 in the Distillery District), Trinity and Mill Streets

Five years ago, dozens of crumbling brick monoliths that used to house the Gooderham & Worts Distillery were gutted and renovated to unveil the Distillery District. The project was a pretty brave gamble to turn what was then a sprawling industrial wasteland — albeit one with historically significant 19th-century architectural features — into a trendy destination zone of gourmet restaurants, bars, art galleries, boutiques and cultural landmarks.

Gooderham Condominiums, to be officially launched in mid-June, is the last of three high-rise condominiums to be erected in the Distillery (as it is now known), and is the final residential element completing the aggressive revitalization of this downtown parcel.

Designed by Peter Clewes of Architects Alliance, the 35-storey Gooderham is designed as the sister building to Clear Spirit, which is under construction. It will be a visually appealing building with a mostly glass façade featuring an abundance of wraparound balconies on every floor that appears to twist as you look up. The corkscrew illusion is appropriate considering it will be built on top of the building that used to house the whisky racks of another era, according to Cityscape principal John Berman.

"The views are just incredible for this building," said Mr. Berman, noting that it is also opposite the Young Centre for the Performing Arts.

There are a lot of affordable opportunities within the initial launch of these 310 suites for buyers looking for something under $300,000.A planned extension to the King Street streetcar line to serve the West Donlands precinct will stop in front of the Gooderham, and there is an extensive fruit-and-vegetable market set to open there this year.

With the exception of a bank branch, the Distillery's retail and cultural component is reserved strictly for locally owned businesses, with no commercial chains allowed.

site_distillery30re1big.jpg

I'm not seeing the 'twist' the article talks about. I like the idea though, and the glassiness of the building may appeal to those who are concerned about highrises in the district.

It looks stumpy and makes me think it's a bad knock-off of Chicago's "Aqua".

I prefer the design of the renderings on the previous page.

Back