Either syn has a fear of heights or he believes that towers don't belong in this neighbourhood.

It's too bad the tower heights were lowered. While the pair looks good, I think the original proportions were perfect.
- syn, post 367 of the Minto Midtown thread

Hmmm, I guess it's the latter.

Nice find ganj. But I'm sure this isn't the last time we'll read that I'm afraid of heights.

I'm not afraid of heights, I have a fear of heights. It's horrible. I feel like dying, and fainting, and vomitting all at the same time when I encounter the fear.
I never had this fear until I went in the CN Tower. The Skypod to be specific. Now I can't go higher than like 10 floors without getting panicky.

Pure Spirit Condominiums (Distillery District)

Hello everyone,

If anyone is moving into the Pure Spirit condominiums in the distillery district, a new group has been created on facebook called, "pure spiritS". A couple of us have used this group as a way to get to know our future neighbours.

Hope to see you there

DVB

img5392bz8.jpg

Well, I didn't want to jinx it, but rumour has it that Peter Clewes is going to build a 50-storey condo tower in the middle of Fort York and another one on Ward's island.

The contrast will be incredible. What a genius. They need a 60-storey tower in Riverdale.

I'm already on it. I've been lobbying the city to allow an 80-storey supertower on Ward Island where valuable real estate is being wasted by those low density cottages. I haven't heard back from city officials yet.

p038497089_o.jpg

The contrast will be incredible. What a genius. They need a 60-storey tower in Riverdale.

60 is ridiculous. I would like to see four 40 storey towers anchor the corners of Riverdale tho. Riverdale is one of those weird, ambiguously defined neighbourhoods that would really benefit from a few point towers to act as signposts from the distance.

Riverdale is actually very well defined as an existing lowrise residential neighbourhood and is protected under the official plan from highrise development; there is no link between it and the Gooderham site, which was an abandoned former industrial complex that is being brought to life through a mix of cultural, retail and residential uses.

If residents of City Place feel they're lacking amenities in their complex they can always take the 504 over to the Distillery and see how the other half lives - maybe they can learn a thing or two. Personally, I have no problems with City Place as it is.

Riverdale is actually very well defined as an existing lowrise residential neighbourhood and is protected under the official plan from highrise development; there is no link between it and the Gooderham site, which was an abandoned former industrial complex that is being brought to life through a mix of cultural, retail and residential uses.

One could argue you're displaying a fear of heights.

Riverdale has commercial and residential uses too, and I'm sure the farm would count as cultural to some.

Neighbourhoods are constantly evolving. A 60-storey tower could be a new signpost for a Rennaisance Riverdale.

Really, if you can come up with a rationale for towers in the Distillery you can come up with one for any location.

/\ Syn, you are forgetting the fact that the Distillery was abandoned and has since been revitalized; a process in which the towers play a fundamental role.

/\ Syn, you are forgetting the fact that the Distillery was abandoned and has since been revitalized; a process in which the towers play a fundamental role.

Acutally, the condo on the edge has been inhabited for years.

I was just trying to make a point. You can formulate a justification for anything. Look at the sheer number of bad developments around the city (not going up, but overall, throughout the decades). All were approved and I'm sure there were justifications for all of them. That doesn't mean they were good developments.

Back