Worth the wait! It's very cool to think that every tree, shrub, flower, rock, etc., was placed there by a human. Lots of the park look very naturalized, and the prairie grasses are beautiful. Go check it out...you have until Labour Day!

June 27th

IMG_0458.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 795
Worth the wait! It's very cool to think that every tree, shrub, flower, rock, etc., was placed there by a human. Lots of the park look very naturalized, and the prairie grasses are beautiful. Go check it out...you have until Labour Day!

I'm excited to visit. This project is one of the ones I've been most looking forward to around town.

RiverCity, are they closing it for further work come Labour Day?

Yes, then will reopen in Spring 2014...at which point I imagine it will be officially opened.

There is currently a fence separating the 'wet side' from the 'dry side'. The wet side is not completed yet and requires more top soil and then prairie plantings, wildflowers, etc.

The park already feels large...it's a little paradise in the corner pocket of downtown east...so it will be even more expansive once it's all completed.

Def. check it out!

p.s. My (unsuccessful) submission for the Waterfront Toronto park naming contest was Corner Pocket Park -- I thought that it looked like a corner pocket of a billiards table when viewed from the air...with the curve of the site with the railway tracks...and being located at the far corner of downtown east.

I really like CORKTOWN COMMON though with the two CN's

Yes, it's an amazing park and I (like, I think, RiverCity1) was at Pam McConnell's neighbourhood walk through it last night. The various areas of the park are, as we were told, like rooms and it is certainly true that it is easy to lose one's orientation (geographical if not sexual!) and there are so many different areas. As the photos above show, the views are spectacular.

The park will close again on (or after) Labour Day and reopen once the wet side is finished - I hope this will be spring 2014 but suspect it will be summer as WT never seem to meet deadlines. (It is always too wet, too dry, too cold or too hot.)

Yes, I was there last night, too! That was my first time seeing it in person (as I can't with good conscience hop fences lol....although it was tempting the past year to sneak in).

Craig White: Great front page article and pics! I missed the first 1 hour of the tour, so this helped me to get caught up. Also, great to meet you later at Underpass park :)

Great article on the front page. Looks awesome.

What's the best/fastest/easiest way to access the park right now? Via King? Cherry street?

Thanks guys! (Good to meet you too RC1!)

Greenleaf: access it at the foot of River Street, where it meets the Bayview Extension. Just walk south on River from the King or Queen Streetcars.

I went through it for my first time today. It's an awesome addition to the city, and I'd encourage people to check it out before word gets out about it. The streetwall forming along Bayview at Front frames in the park beautifully (and those look an awful lot like restaurant spaces on the ground floor!), and the park itself has a great balance between being programmed but still natural in its setting.

The park is already a really good size, and it's only going to get better once they get the wet side open. The Bala underpass is also nice as it ties the park into the existing system of trails. A bike/pedestrian connection over the river/highway to the Lever lands would also make for a great addition, but that can obviously wait until they actually build something on the other side. And does anyone know if the marsh is connected to the Don's water system, or is it its own little ecosystem?

I went through it for my first time today. It's an awesome addition to the city, and I'd encourage people to check it out before word gets out about it. The streetwall forming along Bayview at Front frames in the park beautifully (and those look an awful lot like restaurant spaces on the ground floor!), and the park itself has a great balance between being programmed but still natural in its setting.

The park is already a really good size, and it's only going to get better once they get the wet side open. The Bala underpass is also nice as it ties the park into the existing system of trails. A bike/pedestrian connection over the river/highway to the Lever lands would also make for a great addition, but that can obviously wait until they actually build something on the other side. And does anyone know if the marsh is connected to the Don's water system, or is it its own little ecosystem?

Restaurant space in which buildings ??

Photos taken 29 June 2013

The underpass connecting Corktown Common to the Don Valley Trail makes the Don River much more accessible.

IMG_4780_1-L.jpg

This makes me wonder if people will now start thinking about the planning of the area between CC and South Riverdale.

IMG_4782_1-L.jpg

IMG_4779_1-XL.jpg

IMG_4787_1-L.jpg

This park makes The Portlands and South Riverdale feel much closer to the core.

IMG_4792_1-L.jpg

IMG_4793_1-X2.jpg

IMG_4795_1-X2.jpg

I know that a lot of people on here don't like Lauren Harris Square but I feel that when looked at in the context of an Underpass - Harris - Commons sequence it is a perfect transition space.

IMG_4799_1-L.jpg

Last edited:
Lawren Harris Square will find more love when markets start being held in it.

Terrific shots rdaner!

Anyone know why Lawren Harris Square has not opened yet? Only the light fixtures seem unfinished (for months) - the trees look well established and the benches are there.

BTW: I see that WT have been removing their nice stainless steel litter bins (already gone from LH Square and the edges of Corktown Common.) Apparently the City refuses to empty them so we can expect the wheeled plastic bins to appear soon. Ugh.

In addition, yesterday I noticed that the TREES have been planted on Old Eastern Avenue - let's hope they plant the ones on Cherry and Mill this year too.

Last edited:
Some spelling mistakes are worth pointing out on UrbanToronto, and one of those is when a misspelled place name is being perpetuated.

It's Lawren Harris Square.

Not sure when they intend to open it. I should have asked!

I was here this morning with my just under two year old son. I predict this park is going to be VERY popular with young families. Splash pad, sand, slides of differing sizes, climbing ropes, swings etc. Go before the word spreads!

Back