News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

CFTO reporter Karlene Nation just entered the Ward 19 council race. She says she is running "as a right-of-centre candidate."

Sean McCormick is another on-air personality apparently running as a conservative in Ward 19. His campaign manager also ran Sue-Ann Levy's provincial campaign last fall.

Interesting race... considering Karlene is an NDP puppet, I can't see hwo she's fooling anyone that's 'running' right of centre (especially this late in the campaign)

Went through his website, has pictures with Christinne Innes and Michael Ignatieff... guess he's got the liberal support also.

on another note, Ward 27,

NDP backed Krystin Tam-Wong
Liberal Backed Ken Chan
and Billionaire backed Simon Wookey

I'm inclined to support the last candidate as I'm sure he won't be persuaded by lobbyists

Last edited:
Interesting race... considering Karlene is an NDP puppet, I can't see hwo she's fooling anyone that's 'running' right of centre (especially this late in the campaign)

Went through his website, has pictures with Christinne Innes and Michael Ignatieff... guess he's got the liberal support also.

I just checked Sean's website and Facebook page. It also has pictures with Lloyd Moseby and Georges St. Pierre, and a number of other people he has stood next to as a television personality. However, he has not been endorsed by any prominent Liberals, as far as I know, and certainly not by Michael Ignatieff or Christine Innes. If he had been you would know about it -- Sean called a press conference for a "major announcement," namely that he had been endorsed by two people no one has ever heard of. He is currently tweeting furiously about all the (nonexistent) media attention he received after this big announcement. Meanwhile these tweets are being enthusiastically RT'd by Darryl Wolk, a big-C Conservative blogger who has endorsed both Sean and Rob Ford. Of course, there are plenty of Liberals who are also pretty right-wing, who could very well be supporting Sean. But if your're suggesting Sean is not right-wing, I would say the evidence shows pretty clearly that he is.

Also, Karlene Nation told Inside Toronto she was specifically running against Mike Layton on a platform of fiscal restraint, so I am curious to know more about this "NDP puppet" theory.

I wrote questions regarding issues important to me, to the candidates of Ward 19 and Sean McCormick was the first to reply. Within a couple of hours... late at night. The only candidate who did not even bother to reply was the one I was planning on voting for: Mike Layton. Kind of leaves me in a bind doesn't it?

It depends on who I vote for Mayor. If I end up going with my original pick, Joe Pantalone, then Mike Layton is perfectly aligned with his policy and will help get it passed. If I vote for Sarah Thomson, Sean McCormick appears to lean her way in the issues I'm concerned about. He does seem to be a little right wing for my taste but he loves this neighbourhood, has a history of working with this community and his charisma could make him a great champion for Ward 19.

I'll wait a couple more days on Mike Layton before replying that it doesn't bode well for a candidate for councillor who doesn't bother to respond to his potential constituents, even before he gets into elected office, let alone once we need to get in touch with him.

well, Pantalone really doesn't have a chance...

that being said... by candidate looks for electorate on Plenty of Fish:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/09/13/15337341.html

Mike Yen is looking for love – and votes – in all the right places.

The 39-year-old bachelor is running in Ward 20 for next month’s election and posted a profile on Plenty of Fish, a dating Website, in which he hopes to hook up area singles while they canvass the neighbourhood with him.

“The largest population in this ward is 25 to 35 and I thought, ‘How do I reach out to the condo community and this large group of singles living in my area?’†he said.

“Why not invite them out, they can walk around the community and meet people and someone who has the same interest and develop a relationship?â€

Yen said single politicians tend not to be the norm, with many players running for council already married, most likely with kids.

“There’s nothing wrong with being single,†he said.

“The cookie-cutter image of married, kids, dog, that’s great,†Yen said. “But are they representing the single people? It’s very tough to make it as a single person in downtown Toronto. When you have two incomes, it’s easier, and I think this city is taxing the single people out (of downtown).â€

Some of the issues as part of Yen’s campaign include picking up after police horse droppings near downtown condos and loosening the red tape of a new by-law to restrict restaurant patio size. He also supports more garbage collection, less empty buildings in the Entertainment District and lowering taxes.

“What motivated me to run is the waste at city hall,†he said.

His profile header reads: “Mike Yen: looking for someone who cares.â€

He’s a Libra, stands 6 feet tall, doesn’t smoke, is athletic and has a bachelor’s degree. His interests are fiscal responsibility, history and responsible government.

“It can be tough being single. Some of you are single parents, it’s hard. Most politicians don’t understand,†Yen says in his profile.

“Since I’m single, I’m also looking around for someone but I won’t have much time for dating until after the election (Oct 25th).â€

His profile, which went live three weeks ago, states the longest relationship he was in was more than four years long and he’s currently looking for friends.

“I’m not dating, I’m single, so if someone comes out and I meet someone, that’s great,†he said. “I’ve had a few conversations that have gone off the topic of the political side of things.â€

He’s hoping a single woman working for his campaign party will be willing to post a similar profile up on Plenty of Fish to attract guys to come out to these canvassing events.

In the meantime, Yen is considering creating more profiles on other dating sites to spread the word to single Torontonians to vote.

And for the available ladies out there – Yen is looking for a woman who is passionate about her city.

“I’m looking for someone who is genuine, real and cares about t city,†he said. “I like to play sports and history, documentaries and explore new areas of the city. I guess I’m looking for the same thing (in a partner).â€

well, Pantalone really doesn't have a chance...

20100618-mayoralpolls-2003.png

:rolleyes:

Mike Yen is looking for love – and votes – in all the right places.

The 39-year-old bachelor is running in Ward 20 for next month’s election and posted a profile on Plenty of Fish, a dating Website, in which he hopes to hook up area singles while they canvass the neighbourhood with him.

The guy is running for councillor so he can get a date.

Sounds pathetic.

“What motivated me to run is the waste at city hall,†he said.

What depth, what insight!

Even more pathetic.

Nice to see the right-wing vote splitting in ward 19. Of course the progressive vote would probably have to split at least four ways for a conservative candidate to get elected there!

It depends on who I vote for Mayor. If I end up going with my original pick, Joe Pantalone, then Mike Layton is perfectly aligned with his policy and will help get it passed. If I vote for Sarah Thomson, Sean McCormick appears to lean her way in the issues I'm concerned about. He does seem to be a little right wing for my taste but he loves this neighbourhood, has a history of working with this community and his charisma could make him a great champion for Ward 19.

I'll wait a couple more days on Mike Layton before replying that it doesn't bode well for a candidate for councillor who doesn't bother to respond to his potential constituents, even before he gets into elected office, let alone once we need to get in touch with him.

If you don't like Layton and want a progressive candidate, why not have a look at Karen Sun?

^ I contacted her and have yet to hear back. Considering she's one of the least busy of the candidates, I thought she'd have time to respond. Not so.

^ I contacted her and have yet to hear back. Considering she's one of the least busy of the candidates, I thought she'd have time to respond. Not so.

On what grounds do you say she is "one of the least busy candidates"? Do you know her itinerary? She certainly appears to be everywhere in my neighbourhood, knocking on doors and such.

^ Good point. She's just been less visible in the media than Mike Layton and Sean McCormack. Nonetheless, I just got her reply.

Never got a response from Mike Layton or his campaign. I shot this over:

I have to say that I'm quite surprised that I never received a reply from your campaign on this.

All the other candidates for city council for Ward 19 responded immediately with their thoughts on the issues important to me.

To think that a candidate for councillor doesn't bother to get back to his potential constituents, makes it clear what kind of attention he would pay to them if he actually got the job.

Back