News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Yes. Big time.

Where is that line? Medically?

how do you objectively measure that, IQ points? Clinical assesment? Subjective opinion?
If you're going to extend liberties to those that are catagorize as metally challenged, why not create an additional category for those that might not be up to par with their IQ?

It's okay to call someone Stupid, but Retarded is crossing the line?

Just pointing out the self-righteous attitude of some posters :) ' All are equal, but some are more equal than others'?

Just pointing out the self-righteous attitude of some posters :) ' All are equal, but some are more equal than others'?

Oh no - your skillful rhetoric has exposed my belief system as lies! Progressive...values...shattering.

Here are the cliffnotes on this: There's a difference between blatantly deciding that you just want to elect some 'hotties' and acknowledging - even poking fun at - a physical attribute possessed by a candidate. If people were to say "Oh man, I hope we don't elect any fat guys as mayor!" then that's kind of crossing the line.

(Obesity and gender are a little bit different, however, inasmuch as one could make a case that weight problems are controllable while gender is not. Miller got his fair share of 'fat major' jabs during the middle of his tenure in office, but then he went and lost 70 pounds or whatever.)

You're not a psychologist and neither am I, so let's try not using this thread on Toronto Council Races to debate the definition of mentally challenged. Regardless, just as there's nothing discriminatory as not putting a guy with no arms on your baseball team, there's nothing discriminatory about not electing someone with severe mental disabilities to public office.

Postscript: There are some sensitive liberals who freak out about any kind of physical attribute joke - Rob Ford is fat, Jean Chretien talks funny, Hazel is old, whatever. These people are boring.

Exact same discrimination of calling Rob Ford fat and stupid?
I don't think anyone is planning to vote against Ford because he has a weight problem (though one can argue that his lack of self-control on his weight problem demonstrates poor character.

But surely that the man is stupid is a big issue that will impair his ability to govern. Any candidate that is of below average intelligence should be questioned on that issue.

But surely that the man is stupid is a big issue that will impair his ability to govern. Any candidate that is of below average intelligence should be questioned on that issue.

But who questions the questioners? Do we know they are any brighter?

Toronto Danforth is very interesting.

TO the north, you have Jennifer Wood (liberal), Jane Pitfield (conservative), and Gina Fragenadis (NDP) 2 hot women !

This will be an interesting race, and while Pitfield has the name recognition, Fragenadis has the orange machine behind her, which only came about 32 votes away from upsetting Case Ootes in 2006 with Diane Alexopoulos.

I'm not convinced with Jennifer Wood, who holds the upper-middle-class niche appealing to the yoga mom and labradoodle owner inside us all. I question whether she will do well outside the Jackman School District.

Last edited:
But who questions the questioners? Do we know they are any brighter?
And going forward a few posts, if God created the universe, then who created God?

My councilor put in his nomination papers three days before the cut-off. Weasel! But I'll vote for him unless convinced otherwise.

Love living in Vaughn's ward. Knowing you have the best councilor in the city makes it so much easier to vote.

Yet ironically, he's been subject to some pretty vociferous criticism among some UTers due to his stance on the Entertainment District, etc...

Yet ironically, he's been subject to some pretty vociferous criticism among some UTers due to his stance on the Entertainment District, etc...

I think Vaughan did a pretty good job with the Entertainment District issue. He used new AGCO rules to attach conditions to licenses, allowing more focused enforcement. And even better, he worked with the ED to help develop a new pedestrian-friendly neighborhood plan for the area that should make the place look less like a warehouse district.

I would compare this with Pants' behavior on Ossington, where all he did was stop all further change, both good and bad. And so the place is still mainly a nightlife district catering to visitors driving in from outside the neighbourhood, just as it was before the moratorium. Anyone who wants to open up a neighbourhood-friendly cafe must now go to the OMB first.

I think Vaughan did a pretty good job with the Entertainment District issue. He used new AGCO rules to attach conditions to licenses, allowing more focused enforcement. And even better, he worked with the ED to help develop a new pedestrian-friendly neighborhood plan for the area that should make the place look less like a warehouse district.

Sure, but in an attempt to drive out the clubs, he purchased one to build a homeless shelter which ended up costing the price of a nice downtown condo per bed. What a fiasco.

Sure, but in an attempt to drive out the clubs, he purchased one to build a homeless shelter which ended up costing the price of a nice downtown condo per bed. What a fiasco.

True that. But was that Vaughan's screw-up or community housing staffers and senior management? Should Vaughan have known that the costs would go up like that? I can't really find fault with the principle that homeless shelters are needed close to where the homeless are, even if there are clubs nearby.

Election signage:
I thought election signs could not be placed on City property and if on private property could not be placed within 15 metres of an intersection. Over night an infestation of signs (think locusts) appeared in my immediate neighbourhood in violation of both of these restrictions.

I tried to call them with some advice regarding this situation and was amused to discover that although he has a website he doesn't want to talk to anyone or receive e-mail messages. However a channel is provided through which you can send him donations.

http://peterkarlyoungren.com/

Weird.

Back