News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Given in most of the old city, the City property goes almost to the edge of the houses, I'm sure you can put a fence on City property. If you can build your fence on City property, I can't see why you couldn't put an election sign.

My ward is not in the "old city" it is in what was once North York where the street line almost without exception is 3' back of the sidewalk or 19' back of the curb. Fences on City property are extremely rare because people understand the limitations. Don't you think someone aspiring to public office should understand this too?

My ward is not in the "old city" it is in what was once North York where the street line almost without exception is 3' back of the sidewalk or 19' back of the curb. Fences on City property are extremely rare because people understand the limitations. Don't you think someone aspiring to public office should understand this too?
I have a hard time believing the law would allow signs on city property in older parts of Toronto, but prohibit it in others.

Today's only the first day for signs but in W19 I've seen mostly Sean McCormack signs. A few of Mike Layton signs coupled with Joe Pants were also around. No other Mayoral candidates signs were out around here. How's it looking in your ward?

Seeing a mix of Jennifer Wood, Jane Pitfield, and Mary Fragedakis signs in Ward 29. Most probably belong to Wood, from what I have seen, though that could have something to do with her office being less than 500m away.

Today's only the first day for signs but in W19 I've seen mostly Sean McCormack signs. A few of Mike Layton signs coupled with Joe Pants were also around. No other Mayoral candidates signs were out around here. How's it looking in your ward?

There seems to be more McCormick signs near Queen Street. Near College/Palmerston, there are more Layton signs. Karen Sun has pockets of signs to the west and north of Bloor. It all seems to be correlated with where their campaign offices are. But all of these signs seem to be concentrated in specific areas. From what I've seen, most areas have few or no signs at all.

Strangely, I have noticed exactly four small Pantalone signs, and no other mayoral candidate signs in Ward 19 at all.

I've been around Ward 29 and Ward 32 a bit today. Certainly a good mix of signs.

But all for the local candidates. I'm yet to see a single sign for mayor! Is it just a fluke, or are there less mayoral signs around than one might expect.

^Same here, I have yet to see a single mayoral sign anywhere.

Can't say the same about Vaughan, though. I was there visiting there parents two times in the past few weeks and have been appalled by the amount of signage all over the place. You'll see 50+ signs at a given intersection, it's littering plain and simple.

Came home tonight to find a message on my voicemail. Basically it was about Coun. Mihevc. Apparently he's our "NDP councillor", and helped David Miller waste billions of "our" tax dollars, on the St Clair "Fiasco", and then accused him of wanting to do the same to Eg. (it's a subway tunnel though our ward). If you think Mihevc deserves re-election press 1. If you think it's time for a change press 2. Didn't endorse an alternative candidate.

I have no idea who this came from, though I can guess. I wish I had been home to take the call if it went to an operator. If it was a poll it wasn't exactly the most neutral one out there.

(edit) Ooh, I had forgotten that Joe had pulled the endorse-Smitherman-to-screw-the-buffoon trick today. We already knew Robbie was thinking about interfering with council races including ours but... Man, I really wish I had been home to pick that up.

*69 says 416-477-2684. Possibly a later telemarketer though.

Last edited:
I agree with Citylslikr and All Fired Up in the Big Smoke: there absolutely needs to be more council debates in bars. The Ward 19 debate last night at the Garrison was great. The Ossington Village blog is streaming the video here.

The best part of the evening was not actually about the council race, but about the TDSB trustee election race, since two school board candidates had also been invited to speak. Trustee candidate Michael Sims told the crowd that a principal had sent his opponent's campaign literature home with the kids on Monday, which would seem to violate ethics rules. The alleged campaign literature was for current trustee Chris Bolton, and the principal, incredibly, was Maria Pantalone, who is famous not only for being Joe Pantalone's sister, but for pleading guilty in 2007 of assaulting a student with human poop. Then Mike Layton had to answer an awkward question about why Chris Bolton's name is all over Layton's campaign signs, and did he ask permission before assuming that all of his supporters must also be supporting Bolton? Layton said he would cover over Bolton's name if asked.

Sims said "There's a very incestuous and problematic relationship here, with people named Pantalone, with people named Layton and with people named Bolton."

^Same here, I have yet to see a single mayoral sign anywhere.

Can't say the same about Vaughan, though. I was there visiting there parents two times in the past few weeks and have been appalled by the amount of signage all over the place. You'll see 50+ signs at a given intersection, it's littering plain and simple.

I was driving through Vaughan on Highway 27 recently and stopped at a new strip mall. Along the side of the small road that leads to the parking lot there was a strip of land with so much litter and even some household waste dumped. The strip of land also had several campaign signs. It made local politics seem shallow in the way these campaigns had the energy to put up signs, but not do anything about all the garbage there.

I agree with Citylslikr and All Fired Up in the Big Smoke: there absolutely needs to be more council debates in bars. The Ward 19 debate last night at the Garrison was great. The Ossington Village blog is streaming the video here.

The best part of the evening was not actually about the council race, but about the TDSB trustee election race, since two school board candidates had also been invited to speak. Trustee candidate Michael Sims told the crowd that a principal had sent his opponent's campaign literature home with the kids on Monday, which would seem to violate ethics rules. The alleged campaign literature was for current trustee Chris Bolton, and the principal, incredibly, was Maria Pantalone, who is famous not only for being Joe Pantalone's sister, but for pleading guilty in 2007 of assaulting a student with human poop. Then Mike Layton had to answer an awkward question about why Chris Bolton's name is all over Layton's campaign signs, and did he ask permission before assuming that all of his supporters must also be supporting Bolton? Layton said he would cover over Bolton's name if asked.

Sims said "There's a very incestuous and problematic relationship here, with people named Pantalone, with people named Layton and with people named Bolton."

Maria Pantalone still has her job as principal at the same school....? :confused:

Then Mike Layton had to answer an awkward question about why Chris Bolton's name is all over Layton's campaign signs, and did he ask permission before assuming that all of his supporters must also be supporting Bolton? Layton said he would cover over Bolton's name if asked.

Though actually, there's a bit of an piggyback "NDP team" sign tradition around those parts...

It used to be, back in the 70s/80s/90s, that you'd find two/three/more-candidates-in-one "NDP team" signs around these parts advocating some combination of City/Metro/Trustee slate. So, the Chris Bolton sticky is a vestige of that tradition--even if the party label isn't so explicit...

Back