News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Are there any credible opponents for Sandra Bussin in Beaches-East York? It seems like every election cycle people rant about her spending and poor communication with constituents, yet she wins by a healthy margin every time.

I know the Toronto Sun has ratcheted a heavy anti-Bussin campaign, but outside the Country Style at Queen & Kingston Road, does anyone in that ward read the Sun?

Has the Sun actually endorsed anyone, or is it just an "anyone but Bussin" thing thus far?

Are there any credible opponents for Sandra Bussin in Beaches-East York?

Bruce Baker.

If Bussin gets reelected, well, there's no accounting for taste.

Bruce Baker.

If Bussin gets reelected, well, there's no accounting for taste.
Bruce Baker is a right-wing developer with absolutely no credibility in this ward. He has about as much chance of being elected, as this riding has on electing a Tory MP or MPP. The only person here shilling for Baker is "Fresh Start" who is clearly not representative of the views of most Torontonians ... to be polite.

As for Bussin's communication, I've always found it very easy to communicate with her staff; and I've always found her quite responsive herself. I've heard much worse stories about many suburban councillors regarding communication. Not sure where this is coming from ... perhaps mjl08 can relate their personal experience?

Bruce Baker is a right-wing developer with absolutely no credibility in this ward. He has about as much chance of being elected, as this riding has on electing a Tory MP or MPP. The only person here shilling for Baker is "Fresh Start" who is clearly not representative of the views of most Torontonians ... to be polite.

Ergo, my "there's no accounting for taste" retort. No matter how many times the Liberal/NDP caucas screws the Toronto taxpayer over, bleeds us dry, people of your ilk just lies down and takes it. You simply cannot comprehend our frustration, let alone desperation to see a change. You'd be flabbergasted to know just how many people coalesce with my viewpoints. You just do not get that the lifestyle you'd like to hoist upon the whole city on our dime is just not sustainable in this fiscal reality.

As for Bussin's communication, I've always found it very easy to communicate with her staff; and I've always found her quite responsive herself. I've heard much worse stories about many suburban councillors regarding communication. Not sure where this is coming from ... perhaps mjl08 can relate their personal experience?

On what matters have you been in touch with Bussin on besides "fixing" the 92 Woodbine South bus route, if I'm recalling correctly you had said?

The TTC "donating" $400,000 towards a skateboard park is an abuse of Section 37 of the Planning Act. Mr. Baker acknowledges that.
City Water is spending millions of the 9% increases to fund miscellaneous projects. Mr. Baker acknowledges that.
4% increase in the annual budget to cover increased user fees. Mr. Baker acknowledges that.

Sandra Bussin was complicit in all of that.

He also laments about the state of crisis the TTC is under where both employees and customers are being mistreated, and how much better the service was 20-30 years ago. Lastly he suggests that the City offer adequate legal defense on behalf of communities fighting against unwanted development in their neighbourhoods. So so much for trying to label him as a grubby self-interested developer with no ties to the Ward. SOURCE: http://kscheuer.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/bruce-baker-takes-on-councillor-bussin/

I wish I had a Bruce Baker type running in my area.

No matter how many times the Liberal/NDP caucas screws the Toronto taxpayer over, bleeds us dry, people of your ilk just lies down and takes it.
What's that supposed to mean? All that's left are the Tories, and compared to simply being screwed by them, they have done us over in obscene ways I can't describe on a public forum (to maintain your metaphor).

I wish I had a Bruce Baker type running in my area.
A Tory who is more interested in his own personal gain than doing anything for the city? I'm sure you'll get one too - they seem to be a dime a dozen. I hadn't thought much of Baker when I heard he is running, but now I'm finding out that he is part of the Rob Ford ticket ... well, you can't wipe the smile off my face.

On what matters have you been in touch with Bussin on besides "fixing" the 92 Woodbine South bus route, if I'm recalling correctly you had said?
Off the top of my head, missing garbage cans, uncleared sidewalks, requests to be added to mailing lists for local projects, complaint about a dangerous new traffic configuration (which turned out to be a Paula Fletcher issue, as the change was on the boundary). You know ... the mundane and forgettable stuff one needs to contact a councillor about. I don't see why one would ask such a odd question. Sandra wouldn't know me from ... umm ... Adam (perhaps Alan would be a better choice ...). Though I'm tempted to send her a donation, given that her opponent is a Rob Ford supporter.

Last edited:
I've heard much worse stories about many suburban councillors regarding communication. Not sure where this is coming from ... perhaps mjl08 can relate their personal experience?

I can't actually, as I don't live in her ward. All I know is that the Sun has devoted a good portion of their editorial pieces to Bussin more than any other councillor, with the exception of Giambrone. Whether it is her bunny outfit on the taxpayers' dime, the poor state of the Boardwalk washrooms, her strong ties to "His Blondness," it just seems over the top, even for the Sun.

I just question how useful these attacks will be considering the Sun demographic. Remember how municipal affairs firebolt Sue Ann Levy was supposed to sweep through St. Paul's in the provincial by-election? Turns out Bay Street lawyers and St. George profs are not big fans of tabloid rags.

Wouldn't it be in the best interest of the Sun to attack mushy centrist councillors in South Etobicoke and Scarborough who have been toeing Miller's line?

I can't actually, as I don't live in her ward. All I know is that the Sun has devoted a good portion of their editorial pieces to Bussin more than any other councillor, with the exception of Giambrone.
The Sun isn't a real newspaper though ... interesting, I haven't read it since they dropped Bloom County. How bizarre. Does it get much local readership, I know recently you couldn't even get it delivered in this ward ... and my local corner store doesn't ever seem to have it (or the Post). Just the Star and Globe ... and the local rags.

Whether it is her bunny outfit on the taxpayers' dime
???? $200 for a costume for the Easter parade? What kind of anal-retentive prick would complain about this???

the poor state of the Boardwalk washrooms
Worthy of complaint ... but hang on ... which city washrooms are in good condition (except perhaps in Exhibition Place ... does this mean we should make Pantalone mayor?) This hardly seems to be a local issue.

her strong ties to "His Blondness," it just seems over the top, even for the Sun.
What on earth is a "His Blondness"?

A Tory who is more interested in his own personal gain than doing anything for the city? I'm sure you'll get one too - they seem to be a dime a dozen. I hadn't thought much of Baker when I heard he is running, but now I'm finding out that he is part of the Rob Ford ticket ... well, you can't wipe the smile off my face.

To be fair I don't know whether Baker has officially backed any candidate for Mayor, but compared to Bussin he sounds like a rational choice for the Council chair. I didn't even know he was a Conservative until you just told me, thanks! But then again if 11,000 nfitz's show up at the ballot, rationality be damned. Interesting how you again decided to skim over the streetcar issue - a violation of Section 37 of the Planning Act; and I could add on to the list the Tuggs deal, the wall mural debacle, the bunny seat, charging the taxpayer for flowers sent to funerals, the self-promotion in local flyers, the Teehans, etc. Seems like Councillors' actions are only considered taboo and subject to punishment when a Councillor hails from the right of caucas.

What on earth is a "His Blondness"?

Say hello to His Blondness:

[video=youtube;ae5TZ1ePFE0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae5TZ1ePFE0[/video]

November can't come soon enough. And I don't know why all the hate for the Toronto Sun either, it's one of the most unbiased news publications out there. They expose things about municipal politics the general public wouldn't know about otherwise because the Toronto Star refuses to cover it.

Last edited:
To be fair I don't know whether Baker has officially backed any candidate for Mayor, but compared to Bussin he sounds like a rational choice for the Council chair. I didn't even know he was a Conservative until you just told me, thanks! But then again if 11,000 nfitz's show up at the ballot, rationality be damned. Interesting how you again decided to skim over the streetcar issue - a violation of Section 37 of the Planning Act; and I could add on to the list the Tuggs deal, the wall mural debacle, the bunny seat, charging the taxpayer for flowers sent to funerals, the self-promotion in local flyers, the Teehans, etc. Seems like Councillors' actions are only considered taboo and subject to punishment when a Councillor hails from the right of caucas.
To be fair, I assumed he was a Tory, because I thought you indicated he was supporting Ford.

Frankly, I don't know what the streetcar issue/planning act issue is; I've seen no media coverage of this. Surely this (these?) are actions of council, not of an individual councillor. Presumably individual councillors couldn't redirect TTC funds even if they wanted to!

The other issues seem to be simply trumped up whining of those who want to keep our community white and straight.

[video=youtube;ae5TZ1ePFE0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae5TZ1ePFE0[/video]
I still don't get it ... why would a grey-haired be His Blondness? Is this some kind of anti-intellectual attack where you make perhaps one of the most intelligent councillors sound dumb? This seems no better than calling Ford a Fat Fuck.

Why do you make these odd personal cute names?

November can't come soon enough. And I don't know why all the hate for the Toronto Sun either, it's one of the most unbiased news publications out there. They expose things about municipal politics the general public wouldn't know about otherwise because the Toronto Star refuses to cover it.

This is it. This is the best thing you've ever said. We can just stop now.

This is it. This is the best thing you've ever said. We can just stop now.
Wow, I hadn't actually read that paragraph. That has to be the most naive thing Fresh Start has ever written.

But he isn't that naive ... so why would be write something so absurd? Niven balanced and unbiased? :)

You say you're a gay man and you're a fan of the Toronto Sun? lol I grew up reading The Toronto Sun and Star every day starting around the late 70's I would imagine. I was also coming to terms with being gay and let me tell you, The Sun didn't make that any easier. Every chance the Sun got to bash gays, they took it. I remember being upset many times from articles painting gay people as villains. This constant homophobia made me feel like crap and certainly helped to keep me in the closet. It was only after I reached my 20's that I started to develop a sense of, dare I say it, "pride."

I remember reading one very mean spirited attack on gays that got me seriously pissed off. I called The Toronto Sun to complain and was taken aback when they connected me to the editor. I think it was Downing. I was quite diplomatic with this guy, yet he talked to me with such distain. The guy even hung up on me. lol After that day, I refused to ever give the Sun one cent of my money. I actually HATE that newspaper and everything they stand for. I slag it any chance I get. I know they've eased up on their homophobic rants but I can't forget all the times that paper made me feel like shit. I still think their views are very much the same today, they just have to be a bit more discreet about it. There will be a huge smile on my face the day I hear they are going out of business.

The Sun is one of the most unbiased newspapers out there? Are you out of your frickin' mind? I seriously have to question your judgement. How any gay man can be a fan of the Sun, is beyond me!

END OF RANT.

Last edited:

Back