News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Had a look today at a few areas of the line and noticed the pole to support the overhead is square compare to TTC and other systems that use round.

From looks of things, track in place from Mount Denise Station to the Portal entrance. Odd looking at the track as its not the every day layout compare to TTC and 6 systems that I have seen and rode this year on top many others in NA and Europe.

New centre support column been work on on the west side of the existing RR bridge.

Over 50% of track between O'Connor Dr and Pharmacy is pour and open track that is the same for the Black Creek area. Another section looks like it was pour today. The rails need to be cut and welded at Pharmacy to allow the remaining track to be form and pour.

On the east side of Pharmacy, part of the base is ready to see rail, but not going to happen until all the base is in place. Work in other areas still digging the base out while others ready for rail to the point rail on site. The road west of the portal entrance at Kennedy Rd is seeing asphalt remove to allow the digging of the base.

The first section of the tunnel roof at the portal entrance is pour. With the retaining walls and centre wall being strip, more of the tunnel roof will be pour in the coming weeks. Still a lot of framing and pouring of walls on the east side of Kennedy to be done. Huge hole in the tunnel floor east of Kennedy Rd and most likely where the crossover will go to get to/from the Kennedy Station.

Still a lot of work to be done on the Kennedy station, let along the excavation of the tunnel up to the bus entrance/exit. Reinforcement on the west side of the SRT north pier is done and been worked on the east side. Until all the reinforcement is done, can't excavate the area under the SRT for the tunnel.
48610420592_f1c810c913_b.jpg

48610267456_37e4013f2d_b.jpg

48610266591_aba7686787_b.jpg
giphy.gif

For comparison purposes. The Brussels Metro, pre-Metro, and trams. Note the the underground tram stations have platforms on both sides of the trams so that all sides are used for quicker egress and entering. (PS. The Brussels trams are narrower than both the future light rail vehicles and our legacy streetcars. The tram stations used to be high platforms, but were converted to low floor platforms [hint: Sheppard Line].)

For comparison purposes. The Brussels Metro, pre-Metro, and trams. Note the the underground tram stations have platforms on both sides of the trams so that all sides are used for quicker egress and entering. (PS. The Brussels trams are narrower than both the future light rail vehicles and our legacy streetcars. The tram stations used to be high platforms, but were converted to low floor platforms [hint: Sheppard Line].)

• Why low floor? If everything is a platform station, it makes no difference what the platform height is. If it's on street, does if really matter if the pedestrian platform is 1' or 4'?
  • Are these battery powered :) ? I suggested platforms on both sides for busy and interchange stations, and was told by posters it's not possible with 3rd rail power since the power can't be adjacent to a platform.
  • Is there any benefit to a narrower train? If trains are in their own tunnel, I would think that a square train is optimal (i.e. 4m high and 4m wide) - maybe cylindrical, but that has other complexities. With 2 trains in 1 tunnel, I can imagine where a narrower train may be preferable.

• Why low floor? If everything is a platform station, it makes no difference what the platform height is. If it's on street, does if really matter if the pedestrian platform is 1' or 4'?

The trams actually go out on the surface, like the Crosstown.

Here's Route 3. It is underground in the middle.

Will there be more concrete between the tracks or are we going to get some grass?
[/QUOTE]
It depends on what part of the surface section you're looking at. For example tracks that are in-between station will have grass and tracks that are at roadways and stations will be regular concrete.

Will there be more concrete between the tracks or are we going to get some grass?
It depends on what part of the surface section you're looking at. For example tracks that are in-between station will have grass and tracks that are at roadways and stations will be regular concrete.
[/QUOTE]

I believe that any plans for grass was cancelled long ago. Correct me if I am wrong however.

My drive to work from Parliament and Gerrard to Dufferin south of Steeles takes me through this contruction zone each day. Given how Waze has me driving through every back road around Eglinton I can imagine the locals are looking forward to this completion.

Back