News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Besides us calling the subway to Vaughan as the TYSSE or Spadina subway extension, you won't hear that term used in a boarder environment.

Not even transit geeks will say TYSSE or even "Spadina Subway Extension" casually in ten years. It will just be seen as a part of the line.

It depends on what part of the surface section you're looking at. For example tracks that are in-between station will have grass and tracks that are at roadways and stations will be regular concrete.

I believe that any plans for grass was cancelled long ago. Correct me if I am wrong however.
[/QUOTE]
Who was the public enemy that got rid of the grass this time? The city prioritized and Eglinton Connect planned for green trackage on the surface section wherever possible. Especially the built up area east of Victoria Park. A councillor did want to get rid of it but that motion didn't pass.

I believe that any plans for grass was cancelled long ago. Correct me if I am wrong however.
Who was the public enemy that got rid of the grass this time? The city prioritized and Eglinton Connect planned for green trackage on the surface section wherever possible. Especially the built up area east of Victoria Park. A councillor did want to get rid of it but that motion didn't pass.
[/QUOTE]
I believe Toronto Fire were the ones who essentially vetoed the grass median. With a normal concrete median they (and Toronto EMS) could use it as a means to get around traffic.

I believe Toronto Fire were the ones who essentially vetoed the grass median. With a normal concrete median they (and Toronto EMS) could use it as a means to get around traffic.
[/QUOTE]
I had less faith the grass would survive or look decent than I do about proper signal priority. So I am ok with the decision.

If it were closer to April 1, I was inclined to post this somewhere with the caption "Halton Museum Accepts First Preserved CLRV". - just to enjoy the reaction.

But apropos to this discussion - yes, we do have a tiny bit of grass ROW in Toronto already.

- Paul

20190823 TTC 4155 HP.jpg
the reaction.

An engineer at the Crosstown Maintenance Facility that I spoke to at Doors Open this Year, told me that the grass was still part of the plan. Not sure I trust him completely, but that's what I heard.

OMG!! North York had (past tense) trees???

Tree Removal on Eglinton Avenue East at the West Don River Bridge

From link.

In support of the continued construction of the Crosstown LRT tracks and guideway (dedicated transit lane) in the centre of Eglinton Avenue East, tree removal is required for four (4) trees in close proximity to the construction zone at the West Don River Bridge.​
Tree protection measures will be in effect, and environmental personnel will be on site to ensure tree removal and protection is completed in accordance with regulatory requirements. All removals have been approved by the City of Toronto and Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA). Upon the completion of the Crosstown LRT, new trees will be planted in place of the removed ones.​
Tree removal is anticipated to begin as early as September 3, 2019, and continue for one (1) day.​
west_don_bridge_-_trees_-_august_0.png
TIMING
  • Work is expected to occur from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
    • Tree removal in this area will begin as early as September 3, 2019.
    • The contractor may not always work during the permitted hours, but may do so at its discretion.
    • Work may be rescheduled due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
WHAT TO EXPECT
  • Removal of 4 treeson the south side of Eglinton Avenue East at the West Don River Bridge.
    • Residents and businesses nearby should anticipate noise from chainsaws and wood chippers for the removal of trees.
    • In addition to construction activity, residents can expect to see equipment and material storage within designated work zones.

OMG!! North York had (past tense) trees???

Tree Removal on Eglinton Avenue East at the West Don River Bridge

From link.

In support of the continued construction of the Crosstown LRT tracks and guideway (dedicated transit lane) in the centre of Eglinton Avenue East, tree removal is required for four (4) trees in close proximity to the construction zone at the West Don River Bridge.​
Tree protection measures will be in effect, and environmental personnel will be on site to ensure tree removal and protection is completed in accordance with regulatory requirements. All removals have been approved by the City of Toronto and Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA). Upon the completion of the Crosstown LRT, new trees will be planted in place of the removed ones.​
Tree removal is anticipated to begin as early as September 3, 2019, and continue for one (1) day.​
west_don_bridge_-_trees_-_august_0.png
TIMING

• Work is expected to occur from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
    • Tree removal in this area will begin as early as September 3, 2019.
    • The contractor may not always work during the permitted hours, but may do so at its discretion.
    • Work may be rescheduled due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
WHAT TO EXPECT

• Removal of 4 treeson the south side of Eglinton Avenue East at the West Don River Bridge.
    • Residents and businesses nearby should anticipate noise from chainsaws and wood chippers for the removal of trees.
    • In addition to construction activity, residents can expect to see equipment and material storage within designated work zones.
4 trees and they need to make a special announcement. Maybe they should be forced to have an EA Amendment because the tress are a bit taller than when approval was first granted.

Fire trucks can drive on artificial grass, on concrete.

As an environmentalist im in favour of artificial grass.

"Grass" as we know it in cities, meaning green manicured lawns, that perfect patch of soft green, is terrible for the environment.

Not only does it not contribute much at all to c02 reduction, but it requires a lot of pesticides, fertilizers, and man power utilizing machinery that has very inefficient gas motors on them to maintain. The tiny 4 stroke and 2 stroke engines found on trimmers and lawn mowers are terrible for the air.

Not to mention water waste.

I live in this area and finally we can breath a sigh of relief that all the MAJOR construction is done. They are still putting in track but they are no longer ripping up the road and relocating things.

With the exception of Kennedy Station work is coming along nicely. It would however be nice if they could complete work on the portal.

I live in this area and finally we can breath a sigh of relief that all the MAJOR construction is done. They are still putting in track but they are no longer ripping up the road and relocating things.

With the exception of Kennedy Station work is coming along nicely. It would however be nice if they could complete work on the portal.
The walls and centre walls that support the roof of the portal are in place with the first section of the roof pour on the west side of Kennedy. The rest of the roof on the west side of Kennedy should be done in Sept. Back filling could start in Sept along filling in the roof area after the roof is pour..

Once the back filling iv complete, that turning lane will be close to allow building the new road and sidewalk as well on top of the tunnel roof.

I am assuming sections of Kennedy Rd decking will be remove to pour the roof and its possible back filling will take place after the roof is pour as well on top of the new roof. Parts of Eglinton intersections will be rebuilt and shifting traffic onto it once it completed. Most or all the intersection will be completed before the snow flies.

The eastern section will be done for Eglinton in 2020.

Last edited:
Do you guys think this project will be finished on time? The contractually agreed revenue service start date is just two years from today (give or take 30 days). Most of the underground stations visually look nowhere close to completion. I would’ve expected we’d see some substantial completion of surface structures right now, but so far I haven’t seen anything.

The progress of Bathurst Station in particular has been amazingly slow. That intersection has been torn up for 5 years now, and the station is still just a giant pit in the ground. Indeed, if I remember correct, Bathurst is the least-completed station on the line

Nevertheless, it’s amazing to see something we’ve discussed for 13 years now finally all come together. I don’t think I’ve yet internalized that Toronto is about to get its first major new rapid transit line in 60 years.

Back