News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Another poster confirmed that Metrolinx will be transporting the LRT Trains by road to the surface section. Also I confirmed with Metrolinx will start this spring i.e. before June 21 at the latest. You can flip a few pages before to see the convo on this.
I think a lot of people are sceptical about what Metrolinx says until something actually happens. They haven't exactly had the best track record with this project so far.

They have done many things that I find questionable like for example starting work on the easiest section to build well the hardest is under construction and demanding for vecheles to be delivered when they have no where to put them.

Fairbank station:

Concrete pouring on the southeast corner on April 27, 2021:
IMG_0273.jpeg

Southeast corner on April 28, 2021:
IMG_0279.jpeg
IMG_0280.jpeg

Southwest corner on April 28, 2021:
IMG_0281.jpeg

Northwest corner on April 28, 2021:
IMG_0282.jpeg
IMG_0283.jpeg
IMG_0284.jpeg
IMG_0285.jpeg
IMG_0286.jpeg
IMG_0287.jpeg
IMG_0288.jpeg
IMG_0289.jpeg
IMG_0290.jpeg

What’s the concrete pour for ?? Is it for the road way or the station box?

Until they get an LRV past Yonge, ML is not sure when testing will take place with spring/summer window being used at this time. More like summer/fall at this time

There is 2 way an LRV can get past Yonge at this time from waiting until the OS is in place or to pull a car on the completed track. Then, how far does the car have to be pull from both sides of Yonge that has no operating OS?? I can see the pulling of the LRV first then waiting for the OS to be ready.

Should note, all systems pull LRV along a line to make sure clearance is ok a couple of times in both direction before power is use on the LRV to move by itself
They are trucking the 6 cars over to the east end of the line.

Dan

From link.

Freighted to Toronto on the back of modified CNR flatcars from Quebec and Nova Scotia, the first of the new trains to arrive were set up for display at the Toronto exhibition grounds complete with a mock-up station, platform, track and signals.

20120428-Subway-CNE-Station.jpg

View of the mock station and Gloucester car at the exhibition grounds.

20120428-Subway-CNE.jpg

People looking at the new subway cars.

For a few weeks in late August and early September 1953, Toronto residents were able to get up close to the trains that would soon be operating beneath Yonge Street in place of the overcrowded streetcars.

Before the trains could be readied for service the exhibition had to be dismantled and the trains moved across town.
Specially adapted streetcars towed the train to the Davisville yard via Bathurst, St. Clair and Yonge but a derailment of the leading car in the convoy on a section of temporary track on Yonge (the subway was still being constructed at the time) meant the train had to spend a night in the open in a turning loop to keep it out of the way of streetcar traffic.

They used the city's streetcar tracks and temporary tracks to tow the subway cars from the CNE to the Davisville Yard. Both the streetcar and subway tracks had the same gauge,
1,495 mm (4 ft 10+7⁄8 in).

So moving the Crosstown light rail vehicles by truck and delivering them is simple.

From link.

20120428-Subway-CNE-Station.jpg

View of the mock station and Gloucester car at the exhibition grounds.

20120428-Subway-CNE.jpg

People looking at the new subway cars.

They used the city's streetcar tracks and temporary tracks to tow the subway cars from the CNE to the Davisville Yard. Both the streetcar and subway tracks had the same gauge,
1,495 mm (4 ft 10+7⁄8 in).

So moving the Crosstown light rail vehicles by truck and delivering them is simple.
Moving the LVR by flat deck is not the issue, but unloading them is. The flat deck has to line up with the tracks and then place the ramp to the tracks. How long is the trailer and cab and how much room is it going to need to place the trailer into place as well which intersection will have to be close to do this???

They are trucking the 6 cars over to the east end of the line.

Dan
Thanks.
Any idea as to time and where it will happen as I have not heard back from my contact yet??

Given the Yonge Issue, not surprise other than 6.

Guess one on each track will go west as far as they can and one on each track up to Kennedy portal and maybe to Kennedy Station if ready

Moving the LVR by flat deck is not the issue, but unloading them is. The flat deck has to line up with the tracks and then place the ramp to the tracks. How long is the trailer and cab and how much room is it going to need to place the trailer into place as well which intersection will have to be close to do this???
If the Halton County Radial Museum could do it with the ALRV and Toronto subway cars, I think Metrolinx could do it with the Flexity Freedom vehicles. With guidance from the TTC and the Halton County Radial Museum, of course. Don't forget they used the flat bed trailers with the first Flexity Freedom vehicles.

If the Halton County Radial Museum could do it with the ALRV and Toronto subway cars, I think Metrolinx could do it with the Flexity Freedom vehicles. With guidance from the TTC and the Halton County Radial Museum, of course. Don't forget they used the flat bed trailers with the first Flexity Freedom vehicles.
I thought they are too smart to consult with amateurs!!!

That is begging for a development above it.
Too bad they didn't think about developing over the maintenance yard. They can probably build 10 condo towers over the tracks

Too bad they didn't think about developing over the maintenance yard. They can probably build 10 condo towers over the tracks

No reason to think it won’t happen eventually.

- Paul

Back