News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I'd say the subway is the part of the TTC that is run quite well - frequencies that are the envy of just about anywhere else, minimal disruptions, and reliable and dependable. The only thing is that we don't have enough of them, and if something does go wrong, the much-poorer run surface system can't manage to carry everyone.

Tulse:

Well certain aspects (like customer service) might improve, but I suspect the underlying limitations imposed by the existing state of the infrastructure probably translates into similar issues regardless of who's providing the service. In fact, depending on the terms for the private operation one might actually see service decline since the private sector might very well use a different threshold for cost-benefit analysis.

den:

I don't think the extension to Pearson is in anyone's radar.

AoD

Sad. That trainlink from Union is Going to cost a fortune for the average man.

minimal disruptions, and reliable and dependable.

Are you sure?
TTC is reliable? Minimal disrutption? I can hardly associate these words with ttc.
I can hardly remember how many times the subway suddenly stops in the tunnel between two stations for unknown and unexplained reason (missed a plane because of this), and how many times my colleagues are late for work because there has been another "delay" due to "signalling problem" (once more than an hour only earlier this year, if anyone remembers).

Yes, it is great the city Toronto's size has two subway lines, and we probably need at least 4 more lines of equal length, and the frequency is good (I give credit for that). but reliability is definitely not something we can be proud of. Cleanness, safety, maybe.

But this is not the TTC's fault. They are underfunded (for the day to day state of good repairs I think they call it) and most of their operational funds comes from the fare box. I think its like 60-70%. Even NYC has a lower percentage.

For sure the LRT will cut corner if it is run by a private operator. Trains running every 10-12 minutes for one and shutting down early perhaps and starting later on the weekends. I mean of course they would because they would need to make a profit.

But a co-worker of mine said he got xrays done and he asked who would be reading them and he was told this.

This is primarily to speed up the response time. This way your doctor has an answer the next morning instead of having to wait 2 days for the local guy (working the same hours as your doctor) to read the previous days shots and forward the results as he leaves the office in the evening.

But my worker wanted the xrays read here in Toronto and not in India. And he is from there. It was not a life and death issue that the results needed to be read that very moment.

I can hardly remember how many times the subway suddenly stops in the tunnel between two stations for unknown and unexplained reason (missed a plane because of this), and how many times my colleagues are late for work because there has been another "delay" due to "signalling problem" (once more than an hour only earlier this year, if anyone remembers).
Oh, it's not that bad. In the 2-years I was using it daily, I only recall once where there was a delay of more than 5-10 minutes - I wish that the streetcar was that good - on that occasion, about an hour after I left home, I arrived back at the house, as I was still only a 10-minute walk away, and got the car. There were a couple of other times it was down, but I simply avoid the piece that was down, and only had a small inconvenience.

Sure, stuff happens - but I'm really puzzled why some Torontonians whine incessantly about being 3-minutes late, when the truth of the matter, is that they haven't given themselves enough time to deal with contingencies in the first place.

I was commuting to Mississauga by car for a short period, and I certainly had several times during that period where suddenly the commute was taking 40 minutes longer than usual, because of traffic conditions (normally because it was simply raining or snowing). Far worse delays than the subway.

Construction has started. And according to a new release on their website, they will be restricting Eglinton West westbound to one lane near from Bicknell Avenue to Black Creek from now until April 2012 ... so I'm sure the complaints will start soon!

hahahaa - i'll do my best not to call in and complain to the poor soul... of course, if this goes ppp, we probably will have a faceless corporation to complain to as opposed to this gentleman

Union busting at its best and a better run system, if TTC does not operate the Eglinton Line and all other TC lines.

unless running the ECLRT from 7am-6pm weekdays with 5 active lrvs running is a better system, then be my guest

unless running the ECLRT from 7am-6pm weekdays with 5 active lrvs running is a better system, then be my guest

We bought way more than 5 TC LRVs. You think the rest of them are just going to sit in the LRV yard all day?

The Canada Line PPP has been very good and unless someone told you were riding a PPP you would never know the difference.
The frequency level is set by Translink and the stations and trains are always clean and comfortable. The stations are no Spadina Taj Mahal but they are pleasant, functional, and accessible with escalators and elevators.
As far as the Canada Line station being too small, they are. That, however, had NOTHING to do with the PPP arrangement and EVERYTHING to do with Campbell. He wanted a system of 15,000 pphpd and the cheapest stations known to man which meant making them small. The basic design of the stations, route, number of stations, technology were all determined before the line financing went to tender.
InTransitBC couldn't have cared less whether the stations were to be 20 meters or 200 meters as long as it was determined and they knew that ahead of time to reflect the fiancing options.
Vancouver's Evergreen Line is to be a PPP and the province is still determined to have it open by 2014 nut I think 2015 is more probable.

RE: TTC may not run the Eglinton Crosstown LRT

Any possibility this is the first step of a plan by Queen's Park to have Metrolinx fully absorb the TTC?

RE: TTC may not run the Eglinton Crosstown LRT

Any possibility this is the first step of a plan by Queen's Park to have Metrolinx fully absorb the TTC?

Probably! And im all for it...

Rememeber, the mcGuinty government leans centre-right at the end of the day...its just far more strategic about what it does unlike the previous Harris government which had a no surprise WAM-BAM! Slash-and-burn Approach. This govt opens its ears and is more careful about its moves...

But in the big picture, at the end of the day, this government is far more similar to the harris one...than the rae, peterson, or davis governments of the past.

Anyway metrolinx operation of rapid transit in toronto would go a very long way for transportation in the gta!

Last edited:
The Canada Line's stations are way too bland and institutional. The interiors are generally grey, unremarkable spaces that are perhaps worse than the Bloor-Danforth line.They're definitely something to avoid because such spaces will only be regretted and make poor impressions as they age. Fortunately, so far it sounds like the Crosstown planners are wiser and want unique, high-quality stations for this important new line in the national metropolis.

Back