News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

For some reason I am not enthused by the 51/56 merger as proposed.

I would like to see 56 go up Laird and across Glenvale to Bayview, then one way loop back east along Kilgour Road’s various medical centres to Rumsey (or with some works, Sutherland) which have car parks but no adjacent buses, thus providing more convenient to their services for the catchments of both Crosstown and Line 2
1700343135868.png

The 906 route to the airport makes sense. The 901 route that directly competes with the UP Express... why?? If the 901 route can be self-sufficient with no funding, then maybe, otherwise get on the phone with Metrolinx to work out a fare agreement

The 906 route to the airport makes sense. The 901 route that directly competes with the UP Express... why?? If the 901 route can be self-sufficient with no funding, then maybe, otherwise get on the phone with Metrolinx to work out a fare agreement
In case of strikes, breakdowns, or other problems on the UPX, there is an alternative route using the 901.

The 906 provides service to those who live and work around the Dixon corridor with relatively more frequent service, plus adds the connection to the Eglinton Crosstown which is a major benefit. Instead of having them rely on the 52/952 to take them all the way to Lawrence West.

The problem is the single-occupant automobile making a left from Weston to Lawrence in front while a 89 loads on the right blocks the entire roadway as there isn't a dedicated left turn lane. It is also true on Lawrence eastbound holding up traffic for an entire light cycle. However, Lawrence eastbound to Weston northbound is prohibited 4-6pm and drivers can use Little Av to perform that turn.

There are many bottlenecks on Lawrence Avenue West so this might be an attracted service considering it is propose to run in all time periods. I feel they will reduce service on the 52A or even cut back the 952. Perhaps they can merge the 52G with the 952 and have a seperate express on Lawrence that would run in most periods?
It would be an extremely idiotic move of them to cut back service on the 952 or reduce the 52A after introducing the 906.

For some reason I am not enthused by the 51/56 merger as proposed.

I would like to see 56 go up Laird and across Glenvale to Bayview, then one way loop back east along Kilgour Road’s various medical centres to Rumsey (or with some works, Sutherland) which have car parks but no adjacent buses, thus providing more convenient to their services for the catchments of both Crosstown and Line 2
View attachment 521186
I am strongly in favour of this proposal, but there is a boom barrier on Rumsey between Glenvale and Kilgour. Perhaps the boom barrier lifts up whenever the bus passes by.

I visit Holland Bloorview very often by the way.

I'm curious as to everyone's opinion on the splitting up of Jane bus, with the exception of the express route. Is the idea that the majority of riders on the route were taking the bus to the nearest rapid transit station and thus the crosstown connection provides a faster connection? Once the Eg West extension opens do you think it will be returned as a single route that through runs through the Jane/Eg station?
Demands on this route is very local. A packed full bus at Wilson can have plenty of seats south of Eglinton. It shows that low income riders stay in their neighbourhood. The split is introduced to reallocate service to North of Eglinton. Jane South will have a wider headway.

Heard from a ministry of transportation or metrolinx (can't recall which one the person was) source that the opening date will be December 23, 2024... How accurate that is, I guess we will have to wait and see
The Crosstown LRTv broke ground in 2011... It's an LRT. 13 years is insane. The Valley line in Edmonton broke ground in 2016 and phase 1 is open as of the beginning of this month it's 13 km vs. Crosstown's 19km but the REM also broke ground in 2018, and phase one is open, meaning a 16.6 km transit line was completed in 5 years. Even the Finch West LRT with 10.8 km which broke ground in the last month of 2019 and is much more likely to open before the Crosstown. What could have possibly happened on Eglinton Avenue that made this project such a disaster?

The Crosstown LRTv broke ground in 2011... It's an LRT. 13 years is insane. The Valley line in Edmonton broke ground in 2016 and phase 1 is open as of the beginning of this month it's 13 km vs. Crosstown's 19km but the REM also broke ground in 2018, and phase one is open, meaning a 16.6 km transit line was completed in 5 years. Even the Finch West LRT with 10.8 km which broke ground in the last month of 2019 and is much more likely to open before the Crosstown. What could have possibly happened on Eglinton Avenue that made this project such a disaster?

None of that is relevant since it's stations undergrounds which is what takes the most amount of time, none of the REM or Valley which opened had to build underground stations.

It's the way how the project is delivered. If tunnelling and station excavation occurred at the same time like every other project in the work including the Sheppard subway and TYSSE, it could been a 2015 start and we are in the 8th year. Instead they came up with this stupid delivery method to push the spending to 1, 2 or even 3 election terms ahead and not balance the books today. Crosstown West and Scarborough subway extension is using this same tunnel first, dig later delivery. They won't even dig the stations till 2025/26 and if the screw up, they won't even open till 2032/33. If they would spend the money this election term and dig the stations starting in 2021 along with tunneling, we could have seen a possible opening targets in 2027. They are also cheap and wanted to order the minimum required TBM. If they ordered two pairs for the Crosstown west, they could have done the tunneling with an exit shaft at Kipling from both ways and be well underway with station excavation now.

I am strongly in favour of this proposal, but there is a boom barrier on Rumsey between Glenvale and Kilgour. Perhaps the boom barrier lifts up whenever the bus passes by.

I visit Holland Bloorview very often by the way.
I did not realize that - that is interesting, I wonder what the backstory to that is. The center post mounting passage width of the present installation might not even leave a Wheeltrans vehicle through it (which is ironic because when you look at it in Apple Maps street view, a Wheeltrans vehicle is visible on Kilgour beside it, presumably about to turn into the parking lots)

As has been mentioned there where several years of intentional delays put in the schedule by the province, when it was a TTC project, their plan was to open it in phases starting in 2015, which would have been doable since the first phase only had a few underground stations.

None of that is relevant since it's stations undergrounds which is what takes the most amount of time, none of the REM or Valley which opened had to build underground stations.
The currently operating branch of the REM terminates underground (I guess technically a re-constructed concourse of an existing underground station), and the Valley Line has a short cut-and-cover tunnel section as well.

It's the way how the project is delivered. If tunnelling and station excavation occurred at the same time like every other project in the work including the Sheppard subway and TYSSE, it could been a 2015 start and we are in the 8th year. Instead they came up with this stupid delivery method to push the spending to 1, 2 or even 3 election terms ahead and not balance the books today. Crosstown West and Scarborough subway extension is using this same tunnel first, dig later delivery. They won't even dig the stations till 2025/26 and if the screw up, they won't even open till 2032/33. If they would spend the money this election term and dig the stations starting in 2021 along with tunneling, we could have seen a possible opening targets in 2027. They are also cheap and wanted to order the minimum required TBM. If they ordered two pairs for the Crosstown west, they could have done the tunneling with an exit shaft at Kipling from both ways and be well underway with station excavation now.

That, plus they discovered structural problems while digging under the Yonge line, and had to fix those problems.

Back