News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

There is a crossover on Line 5 between Cedarvale (Eglinton West) and Avenue Road. I forgot where the crossover is. (There is a track map of all the pocket tracks and crossovers.) They could use the section from Mt. Dennis to Cedarvale until Eglinton is up and running in the meantime.

Except that it would remind people of the cancelled Eglinton West Subway that former Premier Mike Harris filled in. That construction began in 1994 but was cancelled in 1995.
There are still 4 occupancy permits outstanding. We only know that Eglinton station is one of them that leaves 3 that could be anywhere on the line. Those missing permits could very much be in that short section for all we know

I mean yes? Are you serious? When you're half a decade after the original scheduled opening, and there's still no date in sight, I surely would hope and expect that they would rewrite the plan and try something to get it working for at least some people. The "do nothing and wait" approach is not what I would expect most Torontonians would want.
No, he's not serious. Because actually considering it at this time would be a huge mistake.

When lines are opened in stages, it's because they were either planned to from the beginning (see the Bloor-Danforth line), or the decision was made early enough in the design and construction process that doing so was not detrimental to the rest of the project (see the Yonge North extensions).

In this case, the line has been designed and built from the outset as one integrated system, and the testing is proceeding as such. The decision to open the line in sections would have had to have occurred a long, long time ago so that the installation, implementation and testing of all of the various sub-systems that exist on the line could have also happened in a staged manner. To do it now would thus require new testing to ensure that the portions of the line could operate as such, and that the sub-systems installed on the other sections not opened wouldn't negatively affect the rest of it.

And that ship has long since sailed.

Dan

And that ship has long since sailed.
I'd think, that the decision to start training all the operators, means they are back on a firm schedule, and have a planned opening date in mind.

Isn't there any indication in historic documents what the opening timeframe was? Presumably there's a box that says X days to train all operators, then Y days of trial running. I'm not sure if there's anything critical path in between those two items

Reactions: PL1
There are still 4 occupancy permits outstanding. We only know that Eglinton station is one of them that leaves 3 that could be anywhere on the line. Those missing permits could very much be in that short section for all we know
There should be no public unknowns at this stage.

What the public needs is a transparent and clearly conveyed report on what the issues are, what is being done to address them, and most importantly a hard date for completion and open. No project ever gets to have an open ended, no restrictions completion date. Pick a date and build backwards what you need to get it done. We're digging a transit line, not a Mars mission.

What the public needs is a transparent and clearly conveyed report on what the issues are, what is being done to address them, and most importantly a hard date for completion and open. No project ever gets to have an open ended, no restrictions completion date. Pick a date and build backwards what you need to get it done. We're digging a transit line, not a Mars mission.
There's huge transparency on NASA's Mars plans. And a fixed timeline (that yes, does change) on the upcoming Lunar missions and Lunar space station.

We are nowhere close to that kind of transparency on Eglinton and even Finch.

In this case, the line has been designed and built from the outset as one integrated system, and the testing is proceeding as such. The decision to open the line in sections would have had to have occurred a long, long time ago so that the installation, implementation and testing of all of the various sub-systems that exist on the line could have also happened in a staged manner.

As much as there ought to be plenty of necks wrung over this project, I am pretty confident that the major issues and delays didn’t happen until well after this notional decision point.
And, since we don’t really know where the deficiencies and delays crept in, we don’t know which parts of the system might have been capable of standalone opening. It may have alwaya been harder than people imagine.
Hindsight is 20-20

- Paul

The August 2021 Google Streetview imagery for Eglinton at the Brentcliffe Portal, looks like they captured a six-car ELRT consist.
1725906618145.png

But, on closer inspection it's 3 separate 2-car sets parked up. Would that be the period when testing was taking place on the overground section and the western underground section while construction continued around Yonge/Eglinton?

Back