News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I would really like to know if the bulk of the comments in favour of retaining Ferrand actually came from apartment building tenants in the Rochefort / St. Denis area or if they came from the people living in the houses. The cynic in me can't help but think that, if it was the latter group, these people have another, more private, agenda such as designs on the redevelopment of their properties.

I agree.... the Don Mills stop would be closer to most of the buildings... this request doesn't make much sense...

The inclusion of Ferrand won't have a negative impact on the operation of the line either. The stop will most likely be at the end of the Don Mills portal, and can save residents a walk. The dwell time at the stop will be minimal. I really do not see Metrolinx's exclusion other than to save money.

Actually, looking at the original open house panels, it looks like the east Don Mill portal will be located where Ferrand Station would logically be located. Heck, even the TTC didn't have a design for Ferrand Station.

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/proj...n_lrt/pdf/2009-11-20_display_panels_part3.pdf

So it makes more sense why Metrolinx excluded the station.

Last edited:
The inclusion of Ferrand won't have a negative impact on the operation of the line either. The stop will most likely be at the end of the Don Mills portal, and can save residents a walk. The dwell time at the stop will be minimal. I really do not see Metrolinx's exclusion other than to save money.

I wont lie I don't mind the surface section but TRUTHFULLY I only want stops at major intersections.. That's my bias. Id like the fastest surface LRT possible and we can revisit adding stops later. But once stops are in they are rarely removed. One to few stops in my opinion is better then too many stops that slows down the line too much.

I wont lie I don't mind the surface section but TRUTHFULLY I only want stops at major intersections.. That's my bias. Id like the fastest surface LRT possible and we can revisit adding stops later. But once stops are in they are rarely removed. One to few stops in my opinion is better then too many stops that slows down the line too much.

I agree with both you and Toronto1. I revised my original post. The Ferrand stop is way to close to Don Mills, and the east portal would make it impossible to build a surface stop without conflicting with the DVP on/off ramps.

I agree with both you and Toronto1. I revised my original post. The Ferrand stop is way to close to Don Mills, and the east portal would make it impossible to build a surface stop without conflicting with the DVP on/off ramps.

maximum 5 mins walking distance doesn't justify a stop for me... good work researching it.. For the record I often have to go to an office building on Gervais drive and I take the eglinton bus. I get off at don mills and WALK.... its really not that complicated. This whole idea of a stop at every single residents door stop is crazy.

Thanks. I am an advocate for reasonably close stop spacing (500-800metres), but these stops are far to close. Residents on Ferrand can easily walk to Don Mills.

Councillor John Parker "is urging the provincial transit agency to switch to a subway instead". (of LRT)

The problem seems to be that Parker realizes that something is wrong with the current ECLRT plan, but does not have the proper information to propose something better. Many Councillors seem to be in the same boat (i.e. Stintz and DeBaeremaeker with the One City plan and Ford and company with the tunnelled ECLRT to Kennedy), but for whatever reason nothing was changed.

I don't disagree that it's dumb but here is a rather interesting (and likely very false) quote from Metrolinx:

"Metrolinx disputes Mr. Parker’s assertion that his idea is more affordable because LRT vehicles, designed to run on the surface, are more expensive. On a per-kilometre basis, according to the transit agency, a tunnelled LRT still costs less than a subway."

I expect what they really mean is that 90m stations are cheaper than 150m stations.

Parker comes out sounding like a right-wing American politico nut by talking about God's intentions:

The proposal, if approved, means that about 12 kilometres — instead of 10 kilometres of the 19-kilometre Eglinton Crosstown — would be underground, which “is not where God intended LRTs to go,” said Don Valley West Councillor John Parker, also a member of the Toronto Transit Commission.

Parker comes out sounding like a right-wing American politico nut by talking about God's intentions:

If God intended us to run LRT underground; God would have given us the ability to create grand underground tunnels and stations, and portals to tracks on the surface so that LRT could navigate both domains.

I don't disagree that it's dumb but here is a rather interesting (and likely very false) quote from Metrolinx:

"Metrolinx disputes Mr. Parker’s assertion that his idea is more affordable because LRT vehicles, designed to run on the surface, are more expensive. On a per-kilometre basis, according to the transit agency, a tunnelled LRT still costs less than a subway."

I expect what they really mean is that 90m stations are cheaper than 150m stations.

Is there some type of Provincial or Federal law that all subways must have 150m stations. Maybe it is a requirement when calculated using Newtoninan physics.

I think the statement reads ok. Parker says that LRT cars are more expensive than subway - which is not disputed as incorrect. Metrolinx makes no mention of this, and just states that LRT, overall is cheaper - without offering any reasons.

I think the statement reads ok. Parker says that LRT cars are more expensive than subway - which is not disputed as incorrect. Metrolinx makes no mention of this, and just states that LRT, overall is cheaper - without offering any reasons.

The answer is it really depends on the project.

LRT is more expensive to tunnel than subway because of the wider diameter required for the overhead canary.
LRT is less expensive to elevate than subway because of the presumably lighter loads the structures need to support.
LRT is cheaper to build at-grade than subway, because, well, you can't really build a subway at-grade without any grade separations at intersections.

The subway vs LRT relations over which is "more expensive" depends on how much of each of those 3 the project involves. If you're building an all-tunnelled LRT, yeah it'll be more expensive. If you're building an all at-grade LRT, yeah it'll less expensive.

Is there some type of Provincial or Federal law that all subways must have 150m stations. Maybe it is a requirement when calculated using Newtoninan physics.

No. There's no requirement that they have 5 minute or better frequencies either. Many places run 15 to 20 minute frequencies, particularly during off-peak periods.

When the general Toronto public thinks subway, they think of the Yonge or BD lines, both in frequency and capacity.

If you gave them a subway like the short Bay Street section of Queens Quay (up to 15 minute frequencies, fairly unreliable to predict service, short trains, small station with stairs and no ability to buy passes or tickets), they may not be very happy despite being underground.

Back