News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Also Scarborough to Allen Road (Spadina Line) for those going to York U and U of T.

True. In fact I hope a lot of riders take the extra couple of stops over to Spadina anyway, in order to avoid Yonge. Part of the reason so many riders get on at Yonge is because that's where the bus routes are split. Even just trying to cross Yonge on Eglinton right now is a PITA, because most of the time you have to physically transfer buses.

The 2 main alternatives are to have the continuous ECLRT/SRT or to have in-median ECLRT, no SRT, and B-D extended to STC (or Sheppard). My question is which would work better:
1. The ECLRT/SRT with the Kodak Yard in the West and a small yard at McCowan in the East - No Conlins, or
2. The ECLRT with the portion to Kennedy in-median, with only the Kodak Yard in the West.

I would guess that having a smaller yard in the East, with extra track would be better than no yard in the East, with a shorter track length.

IMO the decision on the B-D extension needs to happen at the same time as a decision on Eglinton East. The two are really intertwined, and one or the other is needed in order to not have transfer mania just to get into or out of Scarborough. It's really one or the other, and either way I hope at least some of the funds come from changing the SELRT from LRT to shoulder bus lanes. That $650 million could probably cover most of the elevated section of Eglinton East, but more would be needed if the subway extension option was chosen.

As for the yards, if the B-D option is chosen the Kodak yard should work fine. If the interlined option is chosen, I would think that a small supplementary yard at McCowan would do the trick (in addition to Kodak). If I recall correctly, the rationale behind a new yard at Conlins is that the SELRT would need a yard anyway, and McCowan wouldn't be big enough to accommodate both, so they decided to build a new larger yard near the intersection of the two lines. With the SELRT out of the picture (hopefully) in the interlining scenario, that rationale mostly goes out the window, so McCowan can be retrofitted and used as a secondary yard.

A B-D extension probably wouldn't require a new yard, although it's likely than any subsequent extension of B-D would (say to Sherway or Sq 1).

Last edited:
Now I'm getting confused. From thecrosstown.ca website at this link:

Request for Qualifications Issued for the Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit (LRT) and Scarborough LRT Lines

January 22, 2013

Metrolinx and Infrastructure Ontario have released a request for qualifications to pre-qualify and short-list companies to deliver the Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit (LRT) project and Scarborough LRT lines. The outcome of the RFQ process will pre-qualify and short-list companies to deliver the Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit (LRT) line and Scarborough LRT line.

Following the RFQ stage, a request for proposals (RFP) will be issued to the pre-qualified short-listed project companies. On the basis of the RFP submissions, a winning company will be selected to design, build, finance and maintain both LRT lines. The successful company will be announced in fall 2014. Construction is also expected to start in fall 2014.

I'm assuming the 2014 start year is for the Scarborough LRT line, but from the PDF at this link, there is this information:

Together with Metrolinx, Infrastructure Ontario has released a request for qualifications today to pre-qualify and short-list companies to deliver the Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit (LRT) and Scarborough LRT lines.

The Eglinton Crosstown LRT will run from the Jane Street/Black Creek area to Kennedy station. The existing Scarborough Rapid Transit system will be converted to a LRT and be extended from McCowan station to Sheppard Avenue. Once complete, the two new light rail transit systems will connect to 54 TTC bus routes along the lines and the Sheppard East LRT.
Other infrastructure and services being procured include:

• up to 33 stops and stations -- about 25 stops and stations will be on the Crosstown and up to eight (8) stations will be on the Scarborough LRT (either underground, at-grade or elevated)
  • elevated guideways and tunnel sections
  • signals and communications
  • a vehicle maintenance and storage facility
  • integration, testing and commissioning, and maintenance of the LRT system
  • additional infrastructure, such as roads, bridges, utilities, parking, bus terminals, road signing and lighting, traffic management and detours

The two LRT lines will be delivered using an alternative financing and procurement delivery model – a public-private partnership. The model provides the public sector an opportunity to transfer project risks to the private sector, which commits to delivering projects on time and on budget.

The TTC will operate the LRT lines under an operating agreement with Metrolinx.

The request for qualifications is the first step in a competitive tendering process to select a company to design, build, finance and maintain the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and Scarborough LRT lines. A copy of the request for qualifications document is available at www.merx.com.

Submissions will be evaluated to short-list companies with the design, construction and maintenance capability and experience, the qualified personnel and the financial strength to deliver the two new LRT lines. Short-listed teams will be invited to respond to a request for proposals, expected to be released in summer 2013.

The confusing part is the "The Eglinton Crosstown LRT will run from the Jane Street/Black Creek area to Kennedy station" part. They don't seem to know where the western terminal for the Eglinton Crosstown, its not yet a firm decision.

I'm assuming the 2014 start year is for the Scarborough LRT line, but from the PDF at this link, there is this information:

The confusing part is the "The Eglinton Crosstown LRT will run from the Jane Street/Black Creek area to Kennedy station" part. They don't seem to know where the western terminal for the Eglinton Crosstown, its not yet a firm decision.
It's not really firm until they revise the EA. They did make the recent announcement about it being at Mount Dennis, but they still have to complete the EA.

Good to see some progress! Based on IO's previous schedule, the RFP for the Sheppard East Maintenance facility should be restarted shortly as well.

Here's the IO page for the Eglinton and Scarborough lines - http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Templates/Projects.aspx?id=2147489839

and here's their out-of-date page for the Sheppard East Maintenance and Storage Facility - http://www.infrastructureontario.ca...eppard-East-Maintenance-and-Storage-Facility/

The "eight (8) stations" on the Scarborough LRT is a surprise. Currently we have: Kennedy, Lawrence East, Ellesmere, Midland, Scarborough (Town) Centre and McCowan. Will the final two be stations on the proposed "Malvern" extension (Bellamy, Markham/Centennial Progress, Sheppard/McCowan and Malvern Town Centre) or the long rumoured/desired Brimley stop?

The "eight (8) stations" on the Scarborough LRT is a surprise. Currently we have: Kennedy, Lawrence East, Ellesmere, Midland, Scarborough (Town) Centre and McCowan. Will the final two be stations on the proposed "Malvern" extension (Bellamy, Markham/Centennial Progress, Sheppard/McCowan and Malvern Town Centre) or the long rumoured/desired Brimley stop?
From the Metrolinx maps, it's the same 8 stations that have been talked about for some time.

From TTC's old Transit City page - http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects_and_initiatives/Transit_city/Current_Projects/index.jsp
[URL="http://www3.ttc.ca/images/About_the_TTC/Transit_city/map_Scarborough_RT.jpg"]http://www3.ttc.ca/images/About_the_TTC/Transit_city/map_Scarborough_RT.jpg[/URL]

Kennedy, Lawrence East, Ellesmere, Midland, Scarborough Centre, McCowan, Centennial College, Sheppard East (Sheppard/Markham)

Though nothing to say that can't kill Ellesmere and only have 7 stations. It says "up to 8".

Last edited:
Apparently ferrand is now back on, according to a tweet from the local councillor. The public meeting is happening right now, so we will see what else is up soon.

I remember hearing that Ellesmere would not be renovated, and simply be abandoned. Then there would be three new stations: Bellamy, Centennial College, and Sheppard/Progress, bringing the total to eight stations.

Last edited:
I remember hearing that Ellesmere would not be renovated, and simply be abandoned. Then there would be three new stations: Bellamy, Centennial College, and Sheppard/Progress, bringing the total to eight stations.
They say up to 8 stations. I've heard no discussion of Bellamy being included.

Apparently ferrand is now back on, according to a tweet from the local councillor. The public meeting is happening right now, so we will see what else is up soon.

I have not been able to read anything about this meeting. Hopefully the above post is incorrect - I would say it makes more sense to reinstate Leslie Station, which is over a kilometre away from the nearest station that to add this stop which is less than half a kilometer from the nearest stop.

I also wonder if elevating the line over the DVP was discussed - since the design of the Don Mills Station has effects on the rest of the line through Scarborough.

Its according to a local councillor. That isn't an official stamp. Oakwoods been promised as well but its design has never been reviewed. Oakwood makes more sense becauses it would allow busses to stop at oakwood and eglinton versus having to continue to eglinton west station. Anyways I'm cautiously hoping oakwood turns out. But a councillors word isn't much. He might be just saying that to shut up the nimbys. And then when its cut hell say something to the effect he had no control and metrolinx lied to him. Pass the blame.

Its according to a local councillor. That isn't an official stamp. Oakwoods been promised as well but its design has never been reviewed. Oakwood makes more sense becauses it would allow busses to stop at oakwood and eglinton versus having to continue to eglinton west station.

I certainly hope they don't cut the buses back to Eglinton and Oakwood. It would add an inconvenient transfer for people travelling between the 63 bus and the Spadina line. Also, building a bus terminal at Eglinton and Oakwood would be costly for only one route.

I certainly hope they don't cut the buses back to Eglinton and Oakwood. It would add an inconvenient transfer for people travelling between the 63 bus and the Spadina line. Also, building a bus terminal at Eglinton and Oakwood would be costly for only one route.

I think that the 63 Ossington buses should continue as normal to terminate at Eglinton West/Allen Station, but allow short-turns at an Oakwood Station on the Crosstown LRT line.

Back