News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think that the 63 Ossington buses should continue as normal to terminate at Eglinton West/Allen Station, but allow short-turns at an Oakwood Station on the Crosstown LRT line.

That would be a strange short-turn. The bus would be 95% of the way to the end of the line anyway.

For the neighborhood, the Oakwood station is very desirable. Bus 63 can keep going to Eglinton West subway; it is only 600 m or so, not a big deal for the bus. But the locals should be able to board Eglinton line at Oakwood, and not forced to walk 600 m either to Eglinton West subway or to Dufferin.

On the other hand, there is very little local activity at Leslie and Eglinton, and the area cannot be developed because of West Don and the CP rail line. The expense of an underground Leslie station cannot be justified; that station makes sense only if surface-level, side of the road alignment is chosen.

That would be a strange short-turn. The bus would be 95% of the way to the end of the line anyway.

Indeed. If a bus has to make a 400 meter "detour" to service a rapid transit station with 2 intersecting lines as opposed to a rapid transit station with only one line, it makes total sense. A lot of 63 passengers at the northern end of the route are transferring to the Spadina line, anyway, and making them transfer twice is a major pain.

Likewise, if the 63 ends at Oakwood station, then it can have a branch route taking over route 109, which runs along Marlee as well.

The idea is that the oakwood bus would either terminate at eglinton and oakwood or at lawrence west station. The more busses they eliminate from the eglinton west the better for traffic on eglinton. Currently the east bound left lane towards allen is for busses only. If the buses were diverted then that lane could also be used as a turning lane for the allen expressway. Essentially it would allow for two lanes to turn left onto the allen and hopefully fix congestion issues similar to how the west bound eglinton has added a second turning lane onto the allen. I'm not much of a fan for helping cars get around and in a lot of ways I am for infrastructure spending for transit. However eglinton is much better for pedestrians since the additional turning lanes have been added on the east side and I am sure it would have the same effect on the west side.

The idea is that the oakwood bus would either terminate at eglinton and oakwood or at lawrence west station. The more busses they eliminate from the eglinton west the better for traffic on eglinton. Currently the east bound left lane towards allen is for busses only. If the buses were diverted then that lane could also be used as a turning lane for the allen expressway. Essentially it would allow for two lanes to turn left onto the allen and hopefully fix congestion issues similar to how the west bound eglinton has added a second turning lane onto the allen. I'm not much of a fan for helping cars get around and in a lot of ways I am for infrastructure spending for transit. However eglinton is much better for pedestrians since the additional turning lanes have been added on the east side and I am sure it would have the same effect on the west side.

I think that the 63 Ossington bus should terminate at Eglinton West/Allen Station. Most commuters will want to transfer to the 1 Yonge-University-Spadina line to downtown.

Whether or not to eliminate the rush-hour bus only lanes will have to be tested out. It would have to depend on how many will abandon their cars to use the Spadina subway extension, or not. Don't know if they ever did a survey (or followed some cars) to see where their final destinations were.

In case of a collision at or around the Eglinton West/Allen station, or a backup on the Allen, having a short-turn at the Oakwood station would allow some bunched up 63 Ossington buses to get back on schedule.

I think that the 63 Ossington bus should terminate at Eglinton West/Allen Station. Most commuters will want to transfer to the 1 Yonge-University-Spadina line to downtown.

Whether or not to eliminate the rush-hour bus only lanes will have to be tested out. It would have to depend on how many will abandon their cars to use the Spadina subway extension, or not. Don't know if they ever did a survey (or followed some cars) to see where their final destinations were.

In case of a collision at or around the Eglinton West/Allen station, or a backup on the Allen, having a short-turn at the Oakwood station would allow some bunched up 63 Ossington buses to get back on schedule.

I'm confused by your first point. If the oakwood bus went up Marlee to Lawrence west it would still only be one transfer it would just change where the transfer occurs. PLUS if the people were going downtown and getting on oakwood anywhere south of Vaughan road wouldn't they be heading south to get downtown versus heading north?

Your second point about where the cars are going. I am going to assume most of them are going onto the 401 and only a slight few will be going anywhere near the Vaughan extension. Even if they were going to Vaughan would the subway stop them right at their work or would they need another bus again. Unless they work at amc ikea futureshop or walmart I'm going to think no until Vaughan gets the place redeveloped with office potential.

It's going to be brutal to make that bus lane a car lane for ttc riders if the busses still need to access the station.

Last edited:
I'm confused by your first point. If the oakwood bus went up Marlee to Lawrence west it would still only be one transfer it would just change where the transfer occurs. PLUS if the people were going downtown and getting on oakwood anywhere south of Vaughan road wouldn't they be heading south to get downtown versus heading north?

The traffic at Lawrence and Marlee can be very tight and congested at times. It would add more travel time for passengers. Also, the TTC hopes to move the current morning short-turn trains up to Glencain instead of St. Clair West, which means trains every 2-3 minutes at Eglinton West in the morning instead of the current 4-5 minutes. But morning trains would continue to arrive at Lawrence every 4-5 minutes.

That does make some sense. But combining the 109 and the 63 makes sense in other ways. Originally there was suppose to be a east bound to north bound allen on ramps tunnel which was suppose to help congestion west of the Allen. However the costs of such a tunnel caused the tunnel to be canceled. However east of allen eglinton has seen some relief that makes residence west of the Allen envious. It also hampers the pedestrian environment. Personally I would be okay with the allen being closed forever despite using it frequently myself. The merger of the two buses I outlined would elevated some of the stress on eglinton which especially around the oakwood and dufferin area will see substantial growth in development.

Just to be clear I am in favor only of closing the NORTH bound allen from eglinton to Lawrence,not the entire expressway.

Last edited:
^ Oakwood bus runs on 7-min headways at the best of times, it cannot have any noticeable effect on the general traffic on Eglinton.

If the goal is to have two left-turn lanes from eastbound Eglinton to Allen, then the easiest thing to do is to designate two lanes for that purpose, and have the leftmost lane used by both the general traffic and the buses (Oakwood bus, Marlee bus, and the Eglinton surface bus if it still runs). With the proper coordination of traffic lights, cars turning to Allen will have same green phase as buses turning to the subway bays, and they will never block each other.

If routes 63 and 109 were combined, then Oakwood bus riders who wish to transfer to the subway would have to spend additional 8 min on the bus going up Marlee to reach Lawrence west, and then most of them (going south) would spend extra 3 min on the subway going back to Eglinton West. IMO, this is not a good idea.

I don't recall this being mentioned, but will any of the stations on this line have bus bays?

Back