News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Do you know the definition of subway? (Not the King James Bible definition of know).

The dictionary definition of subway is: a short tunnel or underground passageway for pedestrians, automobiles, etc.; underpass; an underground electric railroad

I would consider the Eglinton Crosstown between Black Creek and Don Mills a subway.

Then parts of St. Clair, Spadina, QQ West, SELRT and FWLRT are also subway?

Do you know the definition of subway? (Not the King James Bible definition of know).

The dictionary definition of subway is: a short tunnel or underground passageway for pedestrians, automobiles, etc.; underpass; an underground electric railroad

I would consider the Eglinton Crosstown between Black Creek and Don Mills a subway.

Please remember not to include the sandwich restaurant, since it is also what Subway is.

By the way, I prefer to call the underground section of the Eglinton Crosstown a premetro.

I also spoke with someone from Metrolinx yesterday at the Big Move Roundtable, specifically about Eglinton East and the possibility of elevating it. He made it quite clear without explicitly saying so that he thinks that that would be the best solution, but that there are a lot of political pressures to not make any significant changes. He said that there have been a lot of 'serious internal discussions' about what to do with that section.

So basically, the only reason why it's being built at-grade now is because of political pressures. Which is definitely unfortunate, because I can say with confidence now that if Metrolinx could have their way, Eglinton would be a 100% grade-separated line with an elevated eastern section.

Hopefully they will find some way to get the changes they want, even despite the political will to not change it. Maybe some back room discussions can lead to something. But it's good to know that they were thinking along the same lines that I am.

Yes. It means you were correct all along and that Metrolinx is not as dumb as I thought

It also means that the "transit" debates from a year ago were all about politics and not about transit.

Heavy Rail is a subway, even when it goes above ground.

Then the Montréal Metro is not a subway because it is not heavy rail. The Montréal train cars are smaller and are narrower than the new light rail vehicles to be built for Eglinton Crosstown.

Actually, the Montréal Metro is considered a "subway" or "metro".

Last edited:
Please remember not to include the sandwich restaurant, since it is also what Subway is.

By the way, I prefer to call the underground section of the Eglinton Crosstown a premetro.

So what's the Buffalo, and SF systems with their high floor boarding underground.... Presubway?

This discussion has certainly taken a turn for the worst.

The definition of subway is vague at best and varies from city to city. In allot of cities people call underground portions of an LRT system subways while in other cities people would refer to them as LRT. The same thing can be said for SRT style elevated rail. In some cities the SRT would be considered a subway, especially if it had underground portions. Imo all of these definitions are correct.

At this point it is far too easy to say what the ECLRT will be known as to the average Torontonian. If most people start calling it the underground streetcar then that's what it will be known as. If people start calling in the Eglinton Subway, well that's what it is. If people call it LRT, then it's an LRT. We'll know come 2022.

Yes. It means you were correct all along and that Metrolinx is not as dumb as I thought

It also means that the "transit" debates from a year ago were all about politics and not about transit.

You don't say! If a subway was being built Hoodak would have been screaming about how there's not enough ridership to justify a subway and that it should be LRT, like a true Conservative would. Welcome to the game of politics.

I really don't care what it's called.

I think building Eglinton East above-ground is the superior option. I just wonder how much more it'd cost than building it on the street.

I really hope they do end up doing it elevated. And hopefully they can do it in a way that doesn't leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Maybe something like this?
800px-AirportLink_December.jpg

In any case, I think the biggest concern with Eglinton being elevated is road capacity... Would they still narrow the Scarborough and North York sections to 2 lanes in each direction? I feel it's important that they do.

Who cares what the definition is, does it move us around effectively!

Thank you!

Back