News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Interestingly, at the last presentation for the western part of the project, the planners talking about streetscape improvements mentioned choosing large trees for Eglinton. However, they said they would have to choose the trees based on a number of factors, including overhead wires. I was surprised to hear that they're planning on reconfiguring the street and investing a substantial amount of money into the public realm, but not burying the overhead wires. It's unacceptable, and I, along with others there raised this concern. People should keep bringing this issue up, as it's hard to believe that something so essential for improving the streetscape could be overlooked or marginalized by planners.

I think the cost of burying wires on St. Clair, really contributed to them not burying the wires on Roncy and now we're seeing the same thing on Eglinton. I just hope that if they do decide to do it, that they don't wait until the last minute and end up delaying the opening of the line because of hydro work. Things like that happen far too much in our city.

I think the cost of burying wires on St. Clair, really contributed to them not burying the wires on Roncy and now we're seeing the same thing on Eglinton. I just hope that if they do decide to do it, that they don't wait until the last minute and end up delaying the opening of the line because of hydro work. Things like that happen far too much in our city.

Burying the wires on Roncy was a time frame that never fit into the timetable for doing the rebuilding.

A good part of St Clair already had underground service, but the poles/wires where still in place due to the cost to removed them.

Toronto Hydro has a guideline to follow when it comes to replacing equipment set by the Energy Board not the city of Toronto. Because of these guidelines, Toronto Hydro was not allow to removed and bury parts of St Clair as well past the cost on the the residents. City Council order Toronto Hydro to do the work with the city picking up the cost. Same thing happen for the Fleet ROW.

I have stated a number of times that developers should pickup the cost to bury the overhead when they are redeveloping or building a new project. Ends up being a win win for everyone.

Looking through the Functional Design Presentation At-Grade Section: Don Mills to Ionview, I noticed that around many of the LRT stops were vast expanses of asphalt desert:

attachment.php

All that is missing are cacti and tumbleweed plants, and maybe a coyote chasing a roadrunner.

Coyote_GRRO3.jpg

A light rail surface stop is definitely more appropriate to this scene than an underground station.

Hopefully, there will be appropriate medium density development around those stops.

Last edited:
Thx for that. It reminded me just how ugly that stretch of Eglinton from Vic Park east really is. Is there no thoughts about changing the Vic Park/Eglinton/O'Connor intersection while adding the LRT?

Thx for that. It reminded me just how ugly that stretch of Eglinton from Vic Park east really is. Is there no thoughts about changing the Vic Park/Eglinton/O'Connor intersection while adding the LRT?

They could always build a triumphal arch there.

triumphal-arch-paris-prarctr1.jpg

To the glory of our city.

Why do the renderings show bus stops for bus routes 34 and 305? These will presumably cease to exist when the LRT opens.

Also, no consideration whatsoever to using high capacity light rail stations like Calgary and Edmonton, and bridges/tunnels across the road, which means reduced capacity due to delays from pedestrians crossing the street, and small far-side platforms with low passenger capacity. See this LRT station in Edmonton: <http://goo.gl/maps/Vm1Zz>. The design looks like the St. Clair streetcar with longer platforms, which is fine for a low-capacity tram line, but not for a light rail line that is 2/3 underground with 3 car light rail trains.

Also the Ferrand station needs to be removed. It is too close to Don Mills.

I hope that there will be some kind of physical barrier to separate LRT rails from regular traffic. If there isn't, idiot drivers surely will block the and delay the LRVs.

Why do the renderings show bus stops for bus routes 34 and 305? These will presumably cease to exist when the LRT opens.

The 305 will likely still operate, since its a night bus. The 34, I'm not so sure why its needed, but if it continues, it will likely be a minimal 30 minute service to make all stops that the LRT will miss.

Back