News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What is the current view of Metrolinx? DM seems set up for short turns, but is it every second or every third train. Also, will there be any (revenue) connection between ECLRT and SRT?

If they run any trains (i.e. Every second or third) from SRT to ECLRT then there is a great risk that they will run full with no room for boardings between Kennedy and DM. It will be very difficult to run frequent reliable service with the 15 intersections that exist in the 5.2 km. With the median portion being retained, I imagine that the ECLRT and SRT will not be connect and Eglinton will be a local line and the "crosstown" nickname should be dropped.
In terms of PR perspective, the Crosstown (and SELRT) is a failure. They call it "crosstown" and "rapid transit", yet it seems they are trying to keep as many elements of the current streetcar network as possible for the surface sections of the line.

Why don't they use one central platform instead of side platforms for the on-street stops? Wouldn't it take up the same amount of space either way?

Why don't they use one central platform instead of side platforms for the on-street stops? Wouldn't it take up the same amount of space either way?

I would think that would also make it safer, because you have a set of tracks between the vehicle lanes and the platform, instead of just a piece of supported glass. Wider platforms of course are also safer than narrower ones.

I was disappointed to see this tweet from Councillor Carroll.
Charles ‏@fifty5
@shelleycarroll Will the Crosstown tunnels be wide enough to convert to a subway in the future?

Shelley Carroll ‏@shelleycarroll
@5fifty5 LRTs are for building grid. Don't shut down & convert them. Build more LRT grid, redistribute riders, build convenience. #TOpoli
I'm sure that would go over well in her ward if Sheppard achieved more ridership in 30 years that they will never get a subway.

Shelley Carroll ‏@shelleycarroll
@5fifty5 LRTs are for building grid. Don't shut down & convert them. Build more LRT grid, redistribute riders, build convenience. #TOpoli

I was disappointed to see this tweet from Councillor Carroll.

I'm sure that would go over well in her ward if Sheppard achieved more ridership in 30 years that they will never get a subway.

I actually LOVE that response... I live on Eglinton but if it started getting congested in 20 years Id rather they build a LRT on Lawrence then convert Eglinton to Subway. The shut down of a line to convert it would be a inconvenience however the main reason that this sounds right is that it gets quality transit to other areas creating a larger network. I have said it a 1000 times before (gweed and I have debated), people including myself HATE buses. Subways, LRTs, Streetcars are fine for a lot of people. However if they have to start taking buses then they decide to either drive or get dropped off at a station. I cant understand why people would rather convert existing infrastructure then to create a larger grid?

For car drivers my dreams might be a nightmare (BTW since I bought my new car a year ago I drive anytime I cant take a SUBWAY or STREETCAR). However why not build something similar to the Legacy streetcar network but with LRTs north of Eglinton where the roads are wide enough?

Last edited:
The Central Station Reference Concept Design Online Consultation is now up. See more at this link.

You can download the PDF presentation from this link.

This presentation covers the stations from Eglinton West Station to the Laird Station, inclusive. I would have thought that the Eglinton West and the Eglinton-Yonge Stations would have had their own individual presentation, but they were lumped into this one.

attachment.php

The Eglinton West Station, or as sometimes called in the presentation "Eglinton West-Allen Station", has designed two north entrances, one west of the southbound Allen ramp and one east of the the northbound Allen ramp. It may mean no more having to transverse the ramps to get to the station entrance, but they may go directly to the Crosstown line and one may have to use a connection tunnel to get to the Spadina line. Think that the current Spadina line entrance will remain.

The south entrance is still only a possibility, just dotted lines in the diagram. Could be only an emergency exit.

Last edited:
From the press release: "Local 183 has signed a contract with Crosstown Obayashi Technicore Constructors to build the 52 km line".

This just in: Eglinton LRT to be extended to Garden St in Whitby via Kingston Rd! (Yes, I did do the measurement starting from Mt. Dennis).

I was just flipping through ReNew magazines annual supplement detailing the top 100 infrastructure projects in Canada and this line comes in at #5......I was surprised by the cost estimate in there of $4.9B as I thought this was more expensive.

Tree Removal and Protection along Eglinton Avenue West

From this link:

March 1, 2013

What work is starting?

What: Crews will be removing and protecting trees.

Why: Trees will be removed to make way for utility relocation and the construction of various structures connected with the twin tunnels for the Eglinton Crosstown. The project has obtained all appropriate permissions and permits to remove selected trees which are in conflict with the tunnel construction. Tree protection will also be installed around selected trees that are near the various construction sites.

Where: One crew will be removing trees at selected locations along the Eglinton Crosstown route on City of Toronto right of ways and Metrolinx lands. In some circumstances, a limited temporary sidewalk closure may be required for public safety.

When: During March and April 2013, a crew will be removing and/or protecting trees at these specific locations from 9am to 5pm, along the corridor, subject to weather condition or unforeseen circumstances.

Ben Nobleman Park

Along the sidewalk edge of Ben Nobleman Park, six trees will be removed. Protection of trees adjacent to the construction zone, at the park edge, will be erected to the park. Particular attention and protection of the trees has been taken during the design process and now during construction to protect the park trees and the Community Orchard.

- See more at: http://www.thecrosstown.ca/news-med...ong-eglinton-avenue-west#sthash.d3R6jk9G.dpuf

Starting with the tree next to the Big Yellow Taxi?

Last edited:
From the press release: "Local 183 has signed a contract with Crosstown Obayashi Technicore Constructors to build the 52 km line".
The previously published line lengths were 19 km for Eglinton, 10 km for the SRT replacement and extension, 12 km for Sheppard East, and 11 km for Finch West. This sums to 52 km, so presumably the contract is for all 4 lines.

so presumably the contract is for all 4 lines.
Considering this is a deal between the union and the contractor who's been awarded the tunnel contract between Black Creek and Eglinton, and the rest of the Eglinton project (let alone Sheppard and Finch) doesn't even have a contractor yet, I think the more likely explanation is lazily-written news release.

Considering this is a deal between the union and the contractor who's been awarded the tunnel contract between Black Creek and Eglinton, and the rest of the Eglinton project (let alone Sheppard and Finch) doesn't even have a contractor yet, I think the more likely explanation is lazily-written news release.
Quite possibly ... though that contract is only for 6.2 km of tunnel. Perhaps the contract contains an option for the rest of the project.

That would be a fair assumption. It would be a pretty big stretch for Metrolinx to simultaneously award the construction contract for all 4 lines to a single bidder.

Back