News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I don't think anyone is going to suggest putting a subway in a trench along a major road these days; it really does limit future development opportunities along there; though Eglinton East is possibly the only place it might fly ... perhaps if you designed the trench in such a way that it could be covered as development opportunities arose.

I don't see why elevated couldn't work in the East though. There's precious little along Eglinton east of the DVP ... it's the rare place in Toronto where an elevated rail-line down the middle of the street might actually make it look better!

If an LRT is run down the middle of the street, I would expect that there would be some sort of fencing to prevent people from running across the street.

WRT elevated, you wouldn't want it down the median - you would want it on one side of the street.
A median allignment would require taller stations with mezzanines below to allow access to each side of the street (Like Brentwood Station on the Millennium Line).
A side allignment would just require shorter, smaller footprint stations that come directly down to the side of the road (like Canada Line on No. 3 Rd in Richmond).

If an LRT is run down the middle of the street, I would expect that there would be some sort of fencing to prevent people from running across the street.
Why do you think this? It's not been done on any of the other routes - and not shown in the cross-sections.

Trenching is in absolutely no way a barrier to development...if people are convinced that places like the Richview corridor are going to become the new CityPlace, trenching then makes the most sense of any option, particularly as the billions of dollars of new development could very easily cover parts of the trench.

And what better way to spur development than a totally new subway sitting on empty land?! If you trench it in the Richview lands, people will be lining up to build high density, mixed-use development.

One problem is that the Richview corridor is no longer empty - there's a brand new 15 storey condo standing at the north east corner of Eglinton and Royal York, and I'm sure more will be added over time.

One problem is that the Richview corridor is no longer empty - there's a brand new 15 storey condo standing at the north east corner of Eglinton and Royal York, and I'm sure more will be added over time.

Hardly a problem...there's land on the south side of Eglinton.

Ohh god, ONE condo. Jesus, I'm sure no other city on earth has had to avoid one condo in a barren wasteland. Better start plans on building a tunnel system 150m below street level to avoid that.

Ohh god, ONE condo. Jesus, I'm sure no other city on earth has had to avoid one condo in a barren wasteland. Better start plans on building a tunnel system 150m below street level to avoid that.

LOL. So true. Too often we see obstacles when they're easily avoidable. TTC needs to learn to do things more cheaply/efficiently.

Why do you think this? It's not been done on any of the other routes - and not shown in the cross-sections.

OK, I'm just thinking of other LRT systems I've seen - but those are probably freeway segments (i.e. near I-205 in Portland) rather than arterial roads.

Hardly a problem...there's land on the south side of Eglinton.

Last year, they spruced up the bike path on the south side of Eglinton West in Etobicoke between Royal York and Scarlett Road. That means that the bike path between Islington and Scarlett has been upgraded. Currently, there is construction on the bike path west of the Humber River, probably undergoing an upgrade as well.

That would leave only the south shoulder of Eglinton and a bit of the grass between the roadway and the sidewalk or bike path for use as a shifted roadway, should the roadway be shifted south to fit in a LRT.

Last year, they spruced up the bike path on the south side of Eglinton West in Etobicoke between Royal York and Scarlett Road. That means that the bike path between Islington and Scarlett has been upgraded. Currently, there is construction on the bike path west of the Humber River, probably undergoing an upgrade as well.

That would leave only the south shoulder of Eglinton and a bit of the grass between the roadway and the sidewalk or bike path for use as a shifted roadway, should the roadway be shifted south to fit in a LRT.

Oh my god, a three inch deep, three foot wide layer of asphalt...now *that's* a dealbreaker!

A bike path?!!?! What the hell is wrong with people that they keep coming up with these ridiculous excuses?

I hear a trench will require dirt to be moved, too. Better call in the engineers to figure out how we can avoid having to move air around the LRVs, it might disturb the local dandelion. Some kind of vacuum train is clearly necessary.

A bike path?!!?! What the hell is wrong with people that they keep coming up with these ridiculous excuses?

I hear a trench will require dirt to be moved, too. Better call in the engineers to figure out how we can avoid having to move air around the LRVs, it might disturb the local dandelion. Some kind of vacuum train is clearly necessary.

Can't do a vacuum: the air along the Richview corridor has a heritage designation, so the only possible mode is teleportation.

*paging Seth Brundle*

Back