News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

wow....FAIL..... seriously 80m in that 3 months after starting..... extended lunch breaks? mandated stoppages??? daily breakdowns...?? nazi style checks after every metre completed???
I know that TBMs arent the fastest but honestly if they have been "boring" for around 60 days this is just ridiculous
Madrid bored 25km in a year...at this rate it unless things pick up we will be luck to see 500m by the end of the year

Isn't the 80m the fact the the TBM are 80m long? Just asking. When I use google maps and put in Black Creek and Eglinton to Scott Rd and Eglinton it shows 900m. Scott Rd is just east of Keele St. But my understanding was the TBM would be working 7 days a week. At approx 95 days that would work out to 1.425km. From Black Creek to Caledonia along Eglinton it is 1.5km. That means the TBm are really close to Caledonia.

Last edited:
There are two (2) TBM's. The one that started later could be at 80m, while the first one has progressed much further. Caledonia, maybe?

Just looking through some old articles and found this. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...osstown-lrt-could-stymie-ford/article4183042/

A tunnel may prove to be too deep and too steep for light rail vehicles, so Bruce McCuaig, president and CEO of Metrolinx, said the agency is looking at building a grade-separated bridge for the LRT as it crosses the ravines. Public consultations on an environmental assessment examining a bridge and other tunnel configurations will begin in early 2012.

I do not recall seeing a proposal for a grade-separated bridge in 2012. It looks like this was yet another example of Metrloinx lying to us.

Even with 80m excavated, it is at the point of no return.

umm. I don't think 80 m classifies as point of no return, or "election proof". How far did they did get in the 90s before it was cancelled the last time? I'd wait for it to get to Allen before I break out the bubbly.

how long till it gets to Eglinton West, Yonge, Don Mills? Also if there is a provincial election when approximately would it be?

Eglinton West station is about 4km and Yonge is about 7 km away. So going by 15 km/day, that'll take about 9/16 months to get to Allen and Yonge respectively. Unless Wynne decide to jump the gun early, election isn't expected till next spring at the earliest. So with luck, it'll be around Dufferin by then. But then again.. if we go by the 80 m in 3 months figure.............

Eglinton West station is about 4km and Yonge is about 7 km away. So going by 15 km/day, that'll take about 9/16 months to get to Allen and Yonge respectively. Unless Wynne decide to jump the gun early, election isn't expected till next spring at the earliest. So with luck, it'll be around Dufferin by then. But then again.. if we go by the 80 m in 3 months figure.............
15km/day is really fast. It must be a typo.

umm. I don't think 80 m classifies as point of no return, or "election proof". How far did they did get in the 90s before it was cancelled the last time? I'd wait for it to get to Allen before I break out the bubbly.
It's the tunnelling contract being issued and started I think that makes it election proof. The start of the second contract will guarantee is us from Mt Dennis to Don Mills I think.

How far did they get last time? They hadn't issued any of the tunnelling contracts - I think they issued the first one after the election and just before it was cancelled ... with a clause that it can be revoked if the government cancels the project before they start working.

So we are already ahead, and I doubt an election is imminent.

It's the tunnelling contract being issued and started I think that makes it election proof. The start of the second contract will guarantee is us from Mt Dennis to Don Mills I think.

How far did they get last time? They hadn't issued any of the tunnelling contracts - I think they issued the first one after the election and just before it was cancelled ... with a clause that it can be revoked if the government cancels the project before they start working.

So we are already ahead, and I doubt an election is imminent.

The at-grade section can still be canned, but yes I think the tunnelled portion is safe. The tunnelled portion is what I care about most. If they decide to rework the eastern at-grade part, so much the better.

I would say the second Contract guarentees no grade separation between Brentcliffe and DM. Or at least guarentees that we will spend money to change the contract.

Last edited:
Why don't they try to get these contracts signed ASAP? If I were at Metrolinx that would be my first goal, so we could prevent changes.

Why don't they try to get these contracts signed ASAP? If I were at Metrolinx that would be my first goal, so we could prevent changes.
Isn't that what they are doing?

Despite wanting to use PPP-type models for the Eglinton line, they've tendered the launch site and the tunnels with separate traditional contracts, so they can get moving quickly.

Back