News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I had no idea there used to be a streetcar on Eg West!

guide1940.jpg

The Oakwood streetcar opened along with the first phase of the Rogers Road streetcar on November 19, 1924. It ran from the Oakwood loop at St. Clair & Oakwood, north up Oakwood to Eglinton, west on Eglington to the Gilbert Loop, one block west of Caledonia. The Oakwood streetcar ceased operations on January 1, 1960, while the Rogers Road streetcar continued until 1974.

streetcar-4119-07.jpg

A PCC streetcar entering the Gilbert loop on Eglinton.

Very interesting. It seems similar in a way to the former Mt Pleasant streetcar being a short feeder from Eglinton to St Clair.

By the way I'm still hoping for a Mt Pleasant-Jarvis bus line.

It would've been nice if we had kept trolley-buses along Eglinton. I haven't really seen many personally, I know they run in Vancouver & San Francisco. From what I understand they have some of the benefits we often associate with streetcars: running on electricity and quieter engines. I personally don't mind the wires, and it does have a similar benefit to streetcar tracks in terms of the visibility of the transit line.

I'm wondering if anything's happening with a development happening on the SE corner of Black Creek and Eglinton Avenue West, where a No Frills now is (and where the Weston station of the killed-off Eglinton subway was going to be). I remember seeing a Metrolinx presentation that mentioned they'd been in touch with Loblaw about redeveloping the site once the ball really got rolling with the development of Weston station. I remember seeing a concept drawing of some mid-rise condos/office buildings at that corner. Was I dreaming, or is that possibility actually still being kicked around?

The Loblaws was to be on the north/east side of either black creek or Jane. I remmber always seeing a sign there proposing Loblaws but i do not remember which intersection, but it was on the north east side of either Black Creek or Jane

Last edited:
BTW, is there anything happen on the east side of town? I just noticed that a segment just east of Bayview on Eglinton has been blocked off. This is the spot where they were doing the environmental assessment analysis a couple of years ago for the Eglinton Crosstown. Could just be water or sewer or something, but I'm just wondering.
A bit of both:

Laird Station East Headwall Construction (North Side) & Watermain Relocation for Twin Tunnels Stage One (Spring - Summer 2014) - Update

What: Crews will be relocating a watermain for the construction of the east headwall for the future Laird Station. Headwalls are underground support walls located at the east and west ends of the future station location. Following the relocation of the watermain and existing utilities, crews will be installing the east underground station headwall in advance of the twin tunnel construction.

Why: These station headwalls are required to be in place prior to the arrival of tunnel boring machines at each of the station locations along the Eglinton Crosstown route. As a terminus station, Laird Station will include special track sections requiring an elongated underground section. Construction of the headwalls requires the utilities to be moved safely out of the way.

Where: The work zone will extend approximately from Brentcliffe Road to east of Sutherland Drive along Eglinton Avenue East. Construction will take place in two stages. The work zone will be located on the north side of Eglinton Avenue East during stage one and shift to the south side of Eglinton Avenue East during stage two. Concrete barriers with chain link fence will be used to separate the work zone from traffic.

laird_station_headwalls_and_watermain_north_side.jpg

Traffic has gotten really bad around here, between Bayview and Don Mills. Bayview and Leslie getting clogged up, Eglinton is at a standstill and you gotta wait many minutes at Don Mills-Eglinton intersection now.

Before the tracks were laid on Eglinton Avenue West and Gilbert (west of Caledonia):

s0071_it3332.jpg

Tracks being laid:
s0071_it3498.jpg

Thanks, Mr. Peabody!

Can you imagaine at that time if there was a debate of transit along Eglinton with peopel saying Eglinton does not justify anything LRT/subway. I bet deveopment would have happened a lot sooner. Perhaps ntp as eveidnce along Bloor subway

By the way I'm still hoping for a Mt Pleasant-Jarvis bus line.

I wondered about that many times myself. What about an above great ROW LRT/streetcar, express during rush hour (stopping only at Eglinton, Davisville, St Clair, Bloor, Dundas), running along Mt Pleasant-Jarvis from Eglinton all the way to downtown and maybe make a left turn after Queen to run along King to the financial district or Union station? Instead, we give the entire street to cars and there is hardly any pedestrians/retail along the entire stretch.

I wondered about that many times myself. What about an above great ROW LRT/streetcar, express during rush hour (stopping only at Eglinton, Davisville, St Clair, Bloor, Dundas), running along Mt Pleasant-Jarvis from Eglinton all the way to downtown and maybe make a left turn after Queen to run along King to the financial district or Union station? Instead, we give the entire street to cars and there is hardly any pedestrians/retail along the entire stretch.

Yeah, any surface vehicle could run pretty fast along Mt Pleasant-Jarvis. There aren't many places to stop between St Clair to Bloor, so it would be express.

I would probably choose bus over streetcar though because you don't need to build tracks and it's a fairly hilly road which I think bus would run better on.

There is already a bus that runs along it but it's the special bus that only runs a few times in the morning and a few times around 5-6pm, and it costs extra.

You could eliminate the two existing Mt Pleasant feeder bus lines since the Eglinton LRT would connect with the new bus line at Mt Pleasant station.

Does the provincial government have any influence on Eglinton Connects?

As far as I know it's being run by the City of Toronto Planning Dept, so I think no, other than the fact that Metrolinx is building the Eglinton LRT which is a prerequisite for Eglinton Connects.

Back