News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Maybe the parking spots are for auto-sharing. Some of the spots could also be converted into underground bicycle parking. Or for the kids to play ball hockey on.

Unless I misread the graphic, that is a private development on a private site....so I doubt those options.

Owner of Yitz's:

“We’re here, we are operating, we are delivering, we are catering, we are still selling cigars,” says Mr. Silver, as servers bustle with platters piled high with pastrami sandwiches. “Our customers do not come by transit,” he adds. “They are not going to switch over.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...-mass-transit-sparks-gold-rush-of-developers/

Wow... not very welcoming to new customers eh? The one time I went there it was by transit. I can't say I'm eager to go again after hearing that.

Overall a good read though. At least some people & business owners have positive attitudes about building transit.

What a pretentious little douchebag

Problem with that analysis is that it is not entirely true. There was an LRT planned to replace the Scarborough RT....he managed to get that replaced with a BD subway extension that more than doubled the cost.

So he has received the encouragement that if you bully for subways, and are patient in your bullying, then you eventually get what you want.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the BD extension to Scarborough hasn't been built yet. It hasn't even been designed. If someone gives the TTC the go ahead to fast-track the EA right after the fall election they might have it built in ten or fifteen years. However I suspect the TTC will give priority to the Downtown Relief line so the BD extension is twenty or twenty-five years out realistically (2040-2045). Seeing that the Crosstown would have provided a connection by 2020 "switching to subway" is essentially the same as cancelling the project (notwithstanding the fact they are collecting our tax money to build it).

Last edited:
There was a nice article recently from the National Post talking about the many condo developments that are coming on Eglinton, thanks to the crosstown.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...-mass-transit-sparks-gold-rush-of-developers/

14887914822_b63b4290ef_b.jpg
When did the National Post began to call Metrolinx "Metrolix"? The McDonald's blurb has another typo as well.

Oh, and Rob Ford is the master of filibustering.

I didn't read it that way.....I just got the sense that he knows his customer base and he does not expect that they will change the way they get to his establishment.

Yeah, but he's wrong, thats the best part, and he is complaining about something that will inevitably give him and others tons of business.

Some people can be complete idiots and still manage to succeed in this world, thats how good we have it here.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the BD extension to Scarborough hasn't been built yet. It hasn't even been designed. If someone gives the TTC the go ahead to fast-track the EA right after the fall election they might have it built in ten or fifteen years. However I suspect the TTC will give priority to the Downtown Relief line so the BD extension is twenty or twenty-five years out realistically (2040-2045). Seeing that the Crosstown would have provided a connection by 2020 "switching to subway" is essentially the same as cancelling the project (notwithstanding the fact they are collecting our tax money to build it).

So, if I understand what you are saying......a project that has been approved with identified funding will not happen for up to 30 years because it is usurped by a project that is being proposed, debated, has mixed support, no identified funding and no definitive route?

Yeah, but he's wrong, thats the best part, and he is complaining about something that will inevitably give him and others tons of business.

Some people can be complete idiots and still manage to succeed in this world, thats how good we have it here.

I did not even get the impression he was complaining....sounded to me like he was saying "yep, there is construction, but we are carrying on business as usual and we don't expect the new transit will have any impact on our business"....and that was in answer to a reporter's query....its not like the guy sought out the paper/reporter to raise a stink.....but, I guess, we see articles/comments through our own eyes.

Tend to agree with that read - I don't think he is complaining, though I do think he is a bit short-sighted and didn't see transit bringing in potential customers who might otherwise not be there. Though of course it's not exactly unlikely that he will have to move due to redevelopment pressures - but that's a constant in a growing city.

AoD

There was a nice article recently from the National Post talking about the many condo developments that are coming on Eglinton, thanks to the crosstown.

14887914822_b63b4290ef_b.jpg

I'm incredibly excited about these developments. I view them as one of the first steps towards the urbanization of our suburbs. I especially look forward to see what developers have planned for Eglinton Avenue East in Scarborough. It's about time we bulldozed the strip malls and business parks and replace them with midrise mixes used commercial and residential developments.

Last edited:
I'm incredibly excited about these developments. I view them as one of the first steps towards the urbanization of our suburbs. I especially look forward to see what developers have planned for Eglinton Avenue East in Scarborough. It's about time we bulldozed the strip malls and business parks and replace them with midrise mixes used commercial and residential developments.

Leaside east of Laird, south of Eglinton is also a place where major change could happen.

Eglinton and Don Mills as well.

Though it looks like we are settling for your standard condo high rises on the Celestica site. As much of an improvement it is over the dead-space the site currently is, I wish for more.

Dufferin and eglinton behind the shoppers and dollarama parking lot. Behind the strip club. Rip down the circle healing church. The rexhall and the mistsubishi dealership.

Back