News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yes that's the reason why. If the construction companies had a sense of urgency it would surely only take a few months.

(sarcasm)

It's funding for timing really.

They could have had the other two TBMs digging at the same time as well as building the above ground portion already simultaneously.

But not only does that take more money and resources, funding for the entire line has been secured but is not simply available right now this moment.

Things like head wall construction being later are minor compared to the big picture, there's LOTS more that could technically be done right this moment but we don't have the funds available to us.

They could have had the other two TBMs digging at the same time as well as building the above ground portion already simultaneously.

But not only does that take more money and resources, funding for the entire line has been secured but is not simply available right now this moment.

Things like head wall construction being later are minor compared to the big picture, there's LOTS more that could technically be done right this moment but we don't have the funds available to us.

Or just go around them if someone keep getting in the way or holdouts.

china-house-in-the-road.jpg

Well there have been many cases there where owners simply refuse to sell their property to developers so they just build around it.

Funny thing is that its really just a downward spiral. City doesnt have enough money; they cheapen the construction; construction takes longer; local businesses and traffic suffer which makes them lose money hence a hit to local economy; delays due to problems over time and potential govt change; city loses money; repeat

Although I cant speak for those responsible for development, honestly for such a massive infrastructure project, I would rather spend a little extra to get it done faster so i could reap the revenues faster to make my money back sooner, than to wait it out and risk inflation, delays and politics lose more money over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The headwalls for Oakwood station are no where near being ready. In fact, only utilities were relocated in that area, and headwall construction has not started yet. Hence, the TBMs will be idle for a while now.

The headwalls at Oakwood were completed quite a while ago. The critical thing right now is getting the extraction and launch shafts completed at Allen.

That's not true. While the province's books were supposedly fragile enough that they couldn't build the four lines simultaneously like the plan used to be, a few months ago I asked someone close to this project and they said they haven't been aware of the Eglinton project coming up against any government cash flow limits. It's all systems go and they're moving roughly as fast as can be reasonably expected without paying a rush premium.

As it was explained to me, everything other than the tunnels, like the stations and surface sections, are being designed right now by the two competing consortiums who will bid a fixed-price contract for the whole thing. They could spend bigger bucks and dig the tunnel twice as fast and all that the public would get for their money would be an empty concrete tube gathering mildew until they have a winning bidder picked and a finished design for the rest.

The tracker was updated today. a couple hundred meters of progress since the last locations. First TBM is about 700m away from the extraction shaft.

That's not true. While the province's books were supposedly fragile enough that they couldn't build the four lines simultaneously like the plan used to be, a few months ago I asked someone close to this project and they said they haven't been aware of the Eglinton project coming up against any government cash flow limits. It's all systems go and they're moving roughly as fast as can be reasonably expected without paying a rush premium.

As it was explained to me, everything other than the tunnels, like the stations and surface sections, are being designed right now by the two competing consortiums who will bid a fixed-price contract for the whole thing. They could spend bigger bucks and dig the tunnel twice as fast and all that the public would get for their money would be an empty concrete tube gathering mildew until they have a winning bidder picked and a finished design for the rest.

Yeah, and that contract (for the surface section, stations and everything else) won't be awarded until Spring 2015, even though as you mentioned they are working on the design.

From http://stevemunro.ca/?p=9038

The tracker was updated today. a couple hundred meters of progress since the last locations. First TBM is about 700m away from the extraction shaft.

The concrete headwalls are the easiest to cut through, the fresher the concrete. As the concrete cures (ages), it gets harder and tougher to cut through.

The headwalls for Oakwood station are no where near being ready. In fact, only utilities were relocated in that area, and headwall construction has not started yet. Hence, the TBMs will be idle for a while now.

Didn't construction start last year, and finish last fall?

http://www.thecrosstown.ca/fr/node/593

Edit: Ooops, just noticed another post saying the same thing above.

Planned Eglinton LRT platforms ‘dangerous and inaccessible,’ says blind human rights lawyer

Centre platforms, which sit between the tracks, are dangerous and less accessible to passengers with vision loss than side platforms that have a wall at the back, Lepovsky said. “You put your back to the wall and wait to hear the subway, then you know you’re safe to walk out,” Lepofsky said. “With centre platforms, you don’t know where you are on the platform and it’s a drop off either side.”

“This is going to hurt more people over time,” Lepofsky said. “So we’re building for a future that’s going to be worse for more people who need it to be better.”

Lepofsky wrote to Metrolinx in June asking the agency to abandon centre-platform designs for all future transit stations, not yet knowing of the Eglinton line decision.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ccessible_says_blind_human_rights_lawyer.html

Am I wrong in thinking that Mr. Lepofsky is being a little ridiculous? I'm sure that if he wanted to he could worth with Metrolinx on a cheaper, more practical solution.

Some kind of physical feedback such as a change in material should be sufficient guidance for the visually impaired. For example, there could be rough rubber strips embedded in the floor that can guide persons with persons with white canes to the centre of the platform and away from danger. This is what the TTC has done in the Toronto Rocket to help guide the visually impaired to vehicles entrances/exits (see red strips in image below).

2011526_open_gangway.jpg

Last edited:
York Mills and College Stations are being cited as examples why island platforms are not accessible. Ok, then... Not one complaint about Sheppard Stations, which were probably built to AODA standards.

Seriously fringe interest groups and advocates like these are really starting to get annoying.
Why does the majority have to bend over to just a fraction? The only thing that results from these people are delays and cost increases. While some of their points may be valid, in general they really should just suck it up. The only real way to prevent accidents for the impaired is to have platform screen doors not redesign stations at the cost of millions.

Aren't center platforms cheaper as well?
That's what the article says.

While I don't see any problem with people expressing concerns - I don't see why it's happening at this stage now. This decision was made and publicized years ago. These comments should have been made during the planning and assessment phase last decade.

Back