News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Given that the scheduled completion date of the Eglinton Crosstown is 2020, does anyone believe that it will be completed on time?
Unlikely. Metrolinx has stated moret hat the schedule would be updated when they achieve financial close with the preferred bidder. I'd expect at that time we'll get a realistic update on the schedule.

Presumably the schedule is part of the discussions on cost with the preferred bidder.

Given that the scheduled completion date of the Eglinton Crosstown is 2020, does anyone believe that it will be completed on time? Let's use the last possible day in 2020 as December 31. That leaves just over 5 1/2 years to complete 13 underground stations including the station at Don Mills Road as well as all of the surface stops and related electrical substations, emergency exits, and complicated engineering to link Eglinton West, Yonge and Kennedy subway stations. Also, Eglinton subway station needs to have it's platform extended 30 meters north to properly connect with the Crosstown. Any thoughts?

Well considering that no major transit construction projects are completed by the original target date.. (Spadina extension for example)

Personally I think that the completion date given at the beginning of the transit project is the best-case optimistic date if nothing goes wrong. Inevitably a few things go wrong or fall behind.

Last I heard the ECLRT was on schedule. I don't see anything to indicate that it will fall behind schedule, but we all know how things work in this city.

Last I heard the ECLRT was on schedule. I don't see anything to indicate that it will fall behind schedule, but we all know how things work in this city.

Things seem alright as far as we the public know, but they haven't even started the stations so who knows what will happen over the next 5 years.

Why don't these guys give a preliminary estimate of the date of completion and work from there as they get more info to make a more definitive date? Instead of alluding to 2020 all this time, they should have give a range from 2020-2023 and then as they get more definite timelines, then give the public a more definitive date of completion.

I forgot to mention that they also have to widen the 2 bridges that cross the East and West branches of the Don River.

Why don't these guys give a preliminary estimate of the date of completion and work from there as they get more info to make a more definitive date? Instead of alluding to 2020 all this time, they should have give a range from 2020-2023 and then as they get more definite timelines, then give the public a more definitive date of completion.
I think 2020 is meant to be interpreted "by the end of 2020". That's usually how these deadlines are determined.

What that means is that the ECLRT could be finished anywhere between now and 2020. Maybe even tomorrow :)

From the Daily Commercial News, at this link:

Second phase of Eglinton Crosstown project to be unveiled

Infrastructure Ontario (IO) is preparing to enter the second phase of the $5.3 billion Eglinton Crosstown project this summer with the selection of the winning bidder and the release of more details about the cost and schedule

"We are still in the procurement phase and haven't announced a preferred proponent," said Lisa DiMenna, IO communications advisor.

"The Eglinton Crosstown LRT is a design-build finance maintain P3 contract that is currently in procurement. The RFP closed earlier this year and we have evaluated it. So, we are finalizing the details and preparing for financial close, which we are anticipating for this summer. The Crosstown is a light rail transit (LRT) line that will run across Eglinton Avenue between Mount Dennis (Weston Road) and Kennedy Station. This 19-kilometre corridor will include a 10-kilometre underground portion, between Keele Street and Laird Drive."

The project contracts for the tunneling and the transit system have been split into two parts.

Metrolinx and IO released the request for proposals in December 2013 to the consortia who pre-qualified to build the balance of the project. Crosslinx Transit Solutions and Crosstown Transit Partners were invited to submit formal proposals.

"These two teams had a year to prepare their bids," said DiMenna.

"There were a lot of changes over the course of the year in the design of the stations, the trackwork, signaling and all the components to build the LRT."

In addition, they must demonstrate how they will maintain the system over a 30-year period as well as finance the multi-billion dollar project. The project is expected to open in late 2020.

Despite the fact that the winning consortium has yet to be named, The Canadian Press recently reported that Crosslinx Transit Solutions was selected by IO and Metrolinx as the preferred bidder group.

The consortium includes SNC-Lavalin, Aecon, EllisDon, Stantec, ACS Infrastructure Canada, Dragrados and IBI Group.

If this report is true it means the losing consortium was Crosstown Transit Partners, which included Fengate Capital Management, OHL Concesiones, STRABAG, Bechtel Development Co. and Obayashi Canada Holdings.

"After financial close, we will post the project agreement, as well as the value for money report," said DiMenna.

"In large part this is the RFP from the government and the final contract. Details of the project will be shared publicly at the financial close, once the agreement is signed."
Currently, the project is reported to have 25 stations and stops, linking to bus routes, three subway stations and various GO Transit lines.

There are a number of major considerations for station design, including accessibility, development potential, integration with surrounding communities, and management of construction disruption.

At Eglinton West Station (Allen Road) and Eglinton Station (Yonge Street) the Crosstown line will be built to cross underneath the existing subway lines.

Seventeen traction power substations are proposed along the Eglinton Crosstown LRT with an average of 1.5 kilometre spacing for the surface sections and 2.0 kilometre spacing for the underground sections.

The Crosstown represents a $5.3 billion (2010) transit infrastructure investment, which is the largest in the history of the region.

Unlikely. Metrolinx has stated moret hat the schedule would be updated when they achieve financial close with the preferred bidder. I'd expect at that time we'll get a realistic update on the schedule.

Presumably the schedule is part of the discussions on cost with the preferred bidder.
You would think the Liberals would want the whole line (or at least the underground portion) up and running before the next election or right during that time for all those photo ops

You would think the Liberals would want the whole line (or at least the underground portion) up and running before the next election or right during that time for all those photo ops
Next provincial election is October 2018. Eglinton has no change. Spadina probably. Eglinton might have a chance by October 2022.

I don't think the October 2018 election has any bearing whatsoever on the Eglinton line time frame.

It's not like they can somehow speed up construction by years..

With enough money, they probably could. For example, building more stations at once and starting work on the surface section ASAP.

Could they do what Tory did on the Gardiner and push more money for an earlier completion? Thats the biggest downside with the lowest bidder, in most cases it equates to longer construction/procurement periods.
I wonder if it would be better in the long run to take a larger initial hit financially but start to regain the money much earlier...

Back