News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Advancing the schedule by four years would require an insane amount of extra money. Easily in the billions.

How about opening the Western portion first? (Though it sounds like we won't even have the vehicles to run on the tracks by 2018 anyway)

With enough money, they probably could. For example, building more stations at once and starting work on the surface section ASAP.

The main time constraint is that they can't just shut down the whole street completely for three years. They can only close down portions of the street, complete the work and then move to the next portion. Since most of the stations are under the intersections it not only affects Eglinton but all the cross streets as well.

How about opening the Western portion first? (Though it sounds like we won't even have the vehicles to run on the tracks by 2018 anyway)

Theoretically? They could (I'm making extravagant assumptions that things like the carshop and station at the Spadina line could be advanced and finished on an expedited basis).

Practically, I doubt it would advance things much - too much procurement is likely all-in and can't be advanced. For instance, once they start manufacturing signalling components, they will likely produce enough for the whole line in one production run, and install and test it as a system. Same with sub-contracts for things like escalator installations and such. And you could only open to Spadina, since the TBMs will converge at Yonge St. A fairly small benefit if only that section is open.

Biggest issue is, it would be politically inconvenient since it would let one side of the city carp about the other side getting a better deal. The western side really isn't savvy of the timeline, so they aren't likely to get up in arms about having to wait like the east side. Better politics if it all opens together and we are one city, east to west.

In terms of rushing to make points for the election - don't kid yourself. Our politicians seem quite able to manufacture photo ops without anything substantive actually happening. Having a real ribbon cutting is not that critical to anyone's election campaign.

- Paul

I was talking to Metrolinx people and based on what they said the underground stations themselves, especially the interchange stations (Yonge-Eg and Eg West), will take up till the completion date to finish.

With enough money, they probably could. For example, building more stations at once and starting work on the surface section ASAP.

I don't see why the surface could not have started or the underground between BlackCreek/Keele and Eglinton West. Its because of the $$$$ and the the need for the Liberals to spread that money out over longer period of time

Advancing the schedule by four years would require an insane amount of extra money. Easily in the billions.

Why? If the Liberals have the money give it up front instead of spreading it out over a longer period of time. Joh Tory had it right

The main time constraint is that they can't just shut down the whole street completely for three years. They can only close down portions of the street, complete the work and then move to the next portion. Since most of the stations are under the intersections it not only affects Eglinton but all the cross streets as well.

So why not start at the first station in the west end now instead of waiting till tunnelling is completed? Plus I read on urban toronto that all the stations will be constructed at the same time. Does that not imply the whole street will be shut down or what?

T

Biggest issue is, it would be politically inconvenient since it would let one side of the city carp about the other side getting a better deal. The western side really isn't savvy of the timeline, so they aren't likely to get up in arms about having to wait like the east side. Better politics if it all opens together and we are one city, east to west.

In terms of rushing to make points for the election - don't kid yourself. Our politicians seem quite able to manufacture photo ops without anything substantive actually happening. Having a real ribbon cutting is not that critical to anyone's election campaign.

- Paul
So one side of the city will get upset because the western portion opens first! Thats insane. The tunnelling started in the west so it makes sense constructions starts there. By western end, do you mean west of Yonge or west of Eglinton west subway?

So why not start at the first station in the west end now instead of waiting till tunnelling is completed? Plus I read on urban toronto that all the stations will be constructed at the same time. Does that not imply the whole street will be shut down or what?

They're building in a way that they'll always have two lanes open, one in each direction.

So one side of the city will get upset because the western portion opens first! Thats insane. The tunnelling started in the west so it makes sense constructions starts there. By western end, do you mean west of Yonge or west of Eglinton west subway?

Yes, it is insane. That hasn't stopped anyone from spending a decade debating what sort of transit to build in Scarboro. The current solution seems heavily influenced by demonstrating that Scarboro gets its fair share - whether it's all really needed or not.

By western end, I meant Mount Dennis to the Spadina line. It's not feasible to advance construction east of there until both sets of TBM's are extracted at Yonge St. The conveyor system to remove the excavated material will be in the way until that's all finished. I don't seem much point in asking people to get off the bus at the Spadina line and get back on it at Mount Dennis. And, as I said, even that requires some extravagant assumptions about changes in schedule for stuff.

- Paul

Why? If the Liberals have the money give it up front instead of spreading it out over a longer period of time. Joh Tory had it right

Because construction scheduling doesn't work that way. Tory may have had it right, but it still cost extra money to complete the Gardner work in a faster timeframe. It didn't cost the same amount, just spent in a shorter timeframe (as far as I know).

Just because x work costs $5 billion to complete in 5 years does not mean that the same work will cost $5 billion dollars to complete in 2.5 years. At that point, you start running into overtime costs, loss of schedule flex (increases risk), conflicting trade coordination, and other issues that I'm probably not thinking of.

1. They can build Mt.Dennis to Oakwood right away - you will probably see the start of construction of some of those station boxes this summer. They can't start Eglinton West to Laird until the tunnels are done because they are still sucking dirt through those tunnels and the station construction requires tearing down the tunnel between the headwalls.

2. I've been told they will not build two adjacent station boxes at major intersection the same time in order to maintain north-south traffic flows - so they will probably build Keele and Dufferin first and when those are largely complete they will start on Caledonia and Oakwood. If they wanted to speed things up getting rid of this restriction this would be one opportunity.

3. Since most stations are immediately under the major intersections they can only build one quarter of the station box at a time. Anything more than that and they would have to completely close either Eglinton or the cross street.

Back