News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

According to this map the Finch West LRT, they would have first go at the names for stops.

Finch_West_LRT_Map_EN-850x550.jpg

What stop names would the Eglinton Crosstown LRT have to use for "Martin Grove". Since "Kipling", "Islington", "Jane", and "Keele" are already taken by the 2 Bloor-Danforth Line, and can't be used by the Finch West LRT as well, what names would those stops on Eglinton be named?

Scarlett and Martin Grove won't be issues, so long as Finch West don't take those names. Royal York can be named Westmount. Islington can be renamed Richview.

I have no clue what you would call Jane (if it stops there) or Kipling. Widdicombe might work for Kipling, if not for the fact there would likely be an additional station at Eglinton&Widdicombe 1.2km to the west.

edit: Apparently for Martin Grove & Eglinton, "Willowridge" is an alternative according to Google Maps.

Does anyone know if they have started work on the elevated section in the west end yet or are they waiting until all of the tunnel work is done before doing any kind of work that the public can actually see. Alos does anyone have any idea how they will build the Don Mulls / Science Centre station?

This proves nothing other than that your base attitude level puts people off. Life is beautiful man, this is only public transit, and at discussion forum at that. There is no need to always be so snarky.

My base level attitude? You're assuming anything like that based on a bunch of what are ostensibly anonymous posts on an online forum?

That, my friend, is rich.

But please, let's get back to the topic at hand.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Somebody forgot to tell the artist that prepared that map. It is still drawn as heavy rail even though the (1) caption is correct. Nicely done, G&M.
The map says "proposed frequent-service heavy rail line". That IS the current status. The map is correct.

My base level attitude? You're assuming anything like that based on a bunch of what are ostensibly anonymous posts on an online forum?

That, my friend, is rich.

Yes that's exactly how I can tell your attitude. Not an assumption - fact, by paying attention to the tone of your points. Usually unnecessarily snarky.

(And your posts aren't anonymous.)

But please, let's get back to the topic at hand.

Agreed. I said my piece.

If Eglinton East can stay at grade, then Eglinton West should be no different.
I agree, but I don't think Eglinton east can be at grade.

To be at grade, they had to force a transfer.
The forced transfer led to the Scarborough subway and to Smart Track.
That's $4B + $8B worth of costs plus 4+ years of delays because Eglinton was built at grade.

No doubt people who work near airport or live near Martin Grove will complain that there will be no time savings compared to bus and that the LRT is too unreliable and will interfere with cars.

It's not clear from the Globe article whether this is planned to be a separate line with forced transfer, or true continuation of ECLRT.

I see the exact same mistakes being made here as was made in the east, and similar delays will follow.

^ I am pretty sure it will be a continuation of ECLRT. There is absolutely no reason to run it as a separate line just west of Mt Dennis, if it uses same vehicles as the rest of ECLRT and operates off the same yard.

That's the exact same thing that was said at Kennedy.

What if they don't want those Eglinton West people to flood the Allen-Eg or Yonge-Eg stations. They would force a transfer so that a good portion of those people transfer to SmartTrack or RE or whatever it's called.

That's the exact same thing that was said at Kennedy.

What if they don't want those Eglinton West people to flood the Allen-Eg or Yonge-Eg stations. They would force a transfer so that a good portion of those people transfer to SmartTrack or RE or whatever it's called.

That's absurd, There was never any plan for this version (the original) of the Eglinton line to continue through at Kennedy Station, and it has always been intended as a through line at Mount Dennis, the recent designs for Mount Dennis Station also allow for through operation to the west, and it would be difficult add in another LRT station.

Etobicoke councillor John Campbell responded to the Smart Track news by saying he doesn’t believe the possible Eglinton West LRT would have the ridership to justify it. “I’m very much a believer in reading the reports", says the guy who supported the Gardiner hybrid. He's not necessarily opposed to it if the reports say otherwise, but “the city has many transit priorities other than Eglinton. What I tell people is that I don’t believe you’ll see that in the foreseeable future.”

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...llor-not-sure-lrt-on-eglinton-west-is-needed/

Last edited:
The ECLRT (terminating at Mt. Dennis) is expected to have about 7,000 pphpd ridership approaching Eg Weat station.

IIRC, ridership in the EA did dramatically drop off west of Jane in the EA, so the Councillor's assertion isn't incorrect.

Back