News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I thought the stop spacing was pretty tight at first, but its actually comparable to the downtown section of the Yonge line. Plus Scarborough isn't nearly as dense, so its probably fine. A few of them are pretty close to each other, but its not as crazy as I thought.

That said I feel like going from one end of the line to the other is gonna be a giant pain in the butt because of all those stops.

How often do you travel from Kennedy to Kipling?

The thing is, the Crosstown is for mostly local commutes. Very very few people would be going the whole length of the line, unless their destination is Pearson Airport. In which case, they can factor the long trip into their travel plans.

Considering average speed of 25km/h for surface portion, and 34km/h for tunneled portion...

End to end should be:

Crosstown West - 8.6km (to Renforth) / 25km/h = 20:38 min
Crosstown Tunnel - 11.5km / 34km/h = 20:17 min
Crosstown Surface - 7.3km / 25km/h = 17:31 min
Crosstown East - 15.1km / 25km/h = 36:14 min
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eglinton Crosstown (Renforth to UTSC) = 94:40 min (1 hour 34 minutes)

This again, should demonstrate just how large Scarborough is. Crosstown East is a long extension.

I bet not even 1% are going end to end on this thing

pr
I bet not even 1% are going end to end on this thing
probably much lower than 0.1%. 1% is 1 in 100 people. Considering that over 1500 people can ride a train in rush hour and only 100 of them board at Kipling, 1% meant 15 of the 100 people who boarded at Kipling would go to Kennedy.
If we have presto and everyone needs to tap in and out, we would have much better data.

I might ride it end to end.

Once.

On the day that it opens =D.

Other than that yeah you guys are right I suppose. Though even to get from the UofT Scarborough to the Yonge line would be a lot of stops (I think, I haven't actually counted), and I imagine that'd be more common.

If TTC Board (as per Mihevic's motion) get it's way, Metrolinx will have nothing to do with the construction of Crosstown East + West (because ML works too slow). Means we should go back to a somewhat logical naming system.

That makes no sense at all why would they want to do that? would Metrolinx even let them do it or the province? Plus I don't think the city or the TTC board is in a good position to be calling Metrolinx out on projects taking longer then they should.

That makes no sense at all why would they want to do that? would Metrolinx even let them do it or the province? Plus I don't think the city or the TTC board is in a good position to be calling Metrolinx out on projects taking longer then they should.
If none of the funds come from Queen's Park, then it's possible but at the same time probably impossible. There must be an agreement on ownership, operating Metrolinx property (Metrolinx-owned LRVs) on city own tracks, who would pay for the additional maintenance, who will buy additional LRVs, where will city-owned LRVs be stored and etc. Metrolinx would have to sign an amendment with the current consortium.

The LRVs are a huge issue here. TTC gave up 300 of the 400 car options to Metrolinx. Metrolinx might want those cars for other projects like Hamilton and Mississauga. KW is already benefiting from TTC's 204 streetcar contract. The 14 cars they are getting is an option from the 400 cars TTC got with the current streetcar contract. If Metrolinx allocates zero cars to crosstown extensions, TTC only has 40 cars left after the 60 additional cars they want to order. TTC would want more than 264 cars so there isn't any spare options for the TTC. The TTC might be stuck ordering cars at a much higher price for the extensions if Metrolinx doesn't fund them.

Other than that yeah you guys are right I suppose. Though even to get from the UofT Scarborough to the Yonge line would be a lot of stops (I think, I haven't actually counted), and I imagine that'd be more common.
5 minutes from Yonge to Laird. 17.5 minutes to Kennedy, 36 minutes to UT-SC.

That is one hour to get to UTSC from Yonge-Eglinton.

From Bloor-Yonge, it takes 27 minutes to reach Kennedy, and 36 minutes to UT-SC. So also approximately 1h10minutes.

People have some pretty gnarly commutes to school today from what I have seen. So I fully expect these commutes to be made in the future.

The nonsensical stops are obvious. Falmouth, Mason, Eglinton/Kingston, Guildwood Pkwy, Lawrence and West Hill could go as they nearby to other stops.

The alignment around UTSC is all wrong, IMO. It should directly serve the main campus from south of Ellesmere, then follow Military Trail back to rejoin Morningside. And the terminus should be the Malvern Town Ctr shopping mall as that's the heart of the community, not Sheppard.

That's just wrong, removing most of those stops would result in stop spacing of nearly a kilometre or more in most cases, just way to long and with little overall benefit.

And it's been mentioned before why moving the stop at UTSC is not necessary.

And it's been mentioned before why moving the stop at UTSC is not necessary.
It won't be reaching Sheppard anyway. The map posted last page was from the Scarborough-Malvern LRT EA, that had Sheppard as it's terminus.

Crosstown East will terminate at UTSC instead. (I am guessing the reallocated funds from the one-stop subway isn't enough to get the LRT to Sheppard or beyond to Malvern.)

TTC Board wants Crosstown East + West done by 2021. Metrolinx apparently can't get it done until something ridiculous like 2026. TTC Board consequently wants TTC to take over the project to expedite its progress. TTC CEO is actually quite reluctant to take over this project, but he admits that the TTC does have a ton of in house experience managing similar projects, and will ask his staff to put together a schedule for the extensions.

It also should be noted that Metrolinx doesnt have the greatest track record managing the Crosstown project. Metrolinx is already two years behind schedule, which is something that the TTC warned would happen back in 2012.

Whoever can get it done faster should be selected.

TTC Board wants Crosstown East + West done by 2021. Metrolinx apparently can't get it done until something ridiculous like 2026. TTC Board consequently wants TTC to take over the project to expedite its progress. TTC CEO is actually quite reluctant to take over this project, but he admits that the TTC does have a ton of in house experience managing similar projects, and will ask his staff to put together a schedule for the extensions.

It also should be noted that Metrolinx doesnt have the greatest track record managing the Crosstown project. Metrolinx is already two years behind schedule, which is something that the TTC warned would happen back in 2012.

It wasn't Metrolinx fault but Queen's Park's cash flow. They don't want to start the project as quick so their budget looks better.

If they really want the project to move faster, they could have ordered 6 TBMs, start all tunneling at the same time instead of a 2 year delay between the Black Creek and Bencliffe launch shafts. They would have dug the stations during tunneling. If the started in 2012, by end of 2014, the tunnels would be done and the stations are already dug out. Between 2013-2017 would be station construction phase. This whole line could open by 2018. The Confederation LRT in Ottawa is only taking 5 years. Then again, Bombardier would have delivered like 20-30 LRVs which is enough for a train every 15 minutes.

And we will get the speed and cost and like St Clair? TTC managed the community interest really well! No thank you.

The Spadina-York subway was funded in 2006 and will open 2017. The Eglinton Crosstown was funded in 2009 and will open in 2021. So the Spadina-York extension which was a 6 station extension to an existing line with no major interchange stations or obstacles is only 1 year less that a completely brand new line with 13 underground stations including 2 subway interchange stations, 2 GO interchange stations, and one outside the underground section which is a combined subway and GO station. So the TTC and Metrolinx aren't significantly different at this point, except that Metrolinx seems to have a plan with buffer already built in, while the TTC is actually late to plan.

2026? Are they mad?!

Hey, don't get that thing tangled in the catenary.

I'm hearing that Plant World may be slated for redevelopment. Even more reason to keep an eye on stop spacing. This line needs to be fast, and not an all-stops local route.

- Paul
from plant world to royal york its 350 metres (within walking distance). From Plant World to Scarlet Rd its more like 900 metres so that means with any new development at Plant World, people can walk to Royal York to hop on. A mid block stop is not needed

Back