News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I didn't realize the Western terminus of the Crosstown will link with the UP Express. I can imagine the traffic on UP will rise significantly once it links to the Crosstown, and further more if Crosstown East is built.

Why would it? Crosstown West going to the airport is a substitute option, not a complement. It is slower but cheaper rapid transit option between downtown and Pearson.

It likely will increase, we might have a better idea of how much if it were not for the fact that there isn't a direct transfer at Bloor due to classical NIMBYism.

My understanding is that it was not The Crossways being NIMBY, it was asking too much. Metrolinx futureproofed their tunnel under the tracks, but told The Crossways to go fly a kite until they came back with a more reasonable price. Frankly, I don't know why Metrolinx does not pursue some kind of expropriation.

So what happens to the Weston stop?

It stays, unfortunately. And that's been the UPX's problem from the beginning; it's not enough of an express train between Union and Pearson. Making a UPX stop at Mt Dennis is not helping much; while a 15 min UPX ride for ~$5.40 ($4.85 Presto) vs. 27 min Crosstown ride for ~$3.25 ($3.00 Presto) seems like it would be an attractive option (especially thanks to TTC fare hikes), it adds time to the total trip between Union and Pearson, which hurts the key segment of UPX ridership.

Why would it? Crosstown West going to the airport is a substitute option, not a complement. It is slower but cheaper rapid transit option between downtown and Pearson.

My understanding is that it was not The Crossways being NIMBY, it was asking too much. Metrolinx futureproofed their tunnel under the tracks, but told The Crossways to go fly a kite until they came back with a more reasonable price. Frankly, I don't know why Metrolinx does not pursue some kind of expropriation.

It stays, unfortunately. And that's been the UPX's problem from the beginning; it's not enough of an express train between Union and Pearson. Making a UPX stop at Mt Dennis is not helping much; while a 15 min UPX ride for ~$5.40 ($4.85 Presto) vs. 27 min Crosstown ride for ~$3.25 ($3.00 Presto) seems like it would be an attractive option (especially thanks to TTC fare hikes), it adds time to the total trip between Union and Pearson, which hurts the key segment of UPX ridership.
So will there be a 3 Stop fare added then?
IMG_1372.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1372.PNG
    IMG_1372.PNG
    83.4 KB · Views: 230
We haven't heard much since then. I imagine they are working on the plan behind the scenes, so hopefully things are still on track. The two extensions opening a few years later is probably more likely, though the EC itself is still four years away so they do have quite a bit of time. The west end might take longer to build if they are going for isolated sections of grade separation though. The east side seems like a relatively simple affair.

I'd hardly say a 25 minute trip from Union to Pearson is not express.
The term express has no actual specified numerical speed. It is a term for describing relativity and not velocity.

They can add 3 more stops and it will still be faster than taking a bus in rush hour so it's still express.

We haven't heard much since then. I imagine they are working on the plan behind the scenes, so hopefully things are still on track. The two extensions opening a few years later is probably more likely, though the EC itself is still four years away so they do have quite a bit of time. The west end might take longer to build if they are going for isolated sections of grade separation though. The east side seems like a relatively simple affair.
Cut and cover or elevated sections don't take that long. They add a year to the schedule max. Building a 10 story deep launch shaft and then assembly a TBM is a different story.

When the crosstown opens, TTC might consider extending the 32A to Pearson which would save people a lot of time oppose to taking the 52A to Lawrence Station and force to take the Yonge line north or south as the 124/162 can't get people to the east end. Taking the UPX would save people 10-15 minutes but a free transfer would be more appealing than $5 additional for two stops on the UPX.

If it does happen, UPX ridership wouldn't go up as much as you expect unless the do some sort of fare integration.
Would people not stay on the crosstown as it heads west to Pearson? I assume Crosstown West goes from WEston Rd to Pearson. Once it's built who will call it west or east. It would be the Crosstown as it will be one continuous line or am I missing something?

Would people not stay on the crosstown as it heads west to Pearson? I assume Crosstown West goes from WEston Rd to Pearson. Once it's built who will call it west or east. It would be the Crosstown as it will be one continuous line or am I missing something?
You're not missing anything. It's just a matter of choice and time saving (not fare cost thought).

There currently is no transfer (or discount) between the TTC (including the Crosstown LRT) with UPX. Waiting for the change.

So when is Eglinton west projected to be opem? 2025? It should be built with the central trunk. Eglinton East is 2025 as well right?
Seems reasonable, but we'll have to see what city council says about the SSE alignment along with Eglinton East in the coming meetings (since it's been postponed).

Would people not stay on the crosstown as it heads west to Pearson? I assume Crosstown West goes from WEston Rd to Pearson. Once its built who will call it west or east. It would be the Crosstown as it will be one continuous line or am I missing something?
I'm talking about 2021. Who knows if Eglinton West will even get to Pearson if TO is still looking for Mississauga to pay their part.

With the cost of the SSE continuing to increase, I fear Eglinton East won't ever be built.

We're good on the east.
I'm talking about 2021. Who knows if Eglinton West will even get to Pearson if TO is still looking for Mississauga to pay their part.
It will get built. It might end at Renforth which is fine, as we can keep the bus. But I'm sure everyone here would prefer it go to Terminal 1.

We're good on the east.
It will get built. It might end at Renforth which is fine, as we can keep the bus. But I'm sure everyone here would prefer it go to Terminal 1.
Although this video is only 2 months old, it does not confirm that Crosstown East will be a priority over other transit infrastructure. But it does show that city council is committed into extending the line.

On the other hand, there's no video for Crosstown West. Which doesn't mean it's not on the radar (announcement videos are pretty rare), but we can't count it out yet (it's still lower priority compared East IMO).

Although this video is only 2 months old, it does not confirm that Crosstown East will be a priority over other transit infrastructure. But it does show that city council is committed into extending the line.

On the other hand, there's no video for Crosstown West. Which doesn't mean it's not on the radar (announcement videos are pretty rare), but we can't count it out yet (it's still lower priority compared East IMO).
Fair, but I just did want to confirm the city is serious about it.

Back