News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

BTW. A Bombardier Toronto Rocket subway car is 23.9 m in length. A Bombardier Flexity Freedom light rail car is 30.8 m. So 3 light rail cars would be about 92.4 in length, about 3.8 subway cars in length. Almost the same length as a Line 4 Sheppard subway train.

The problem is width, and the inefficient use of space on the flexity.

BTW. A Bombardier Toronto Rocket subway car is 23.9 m in length. A Bombardier Flexity Freedom light rail car is 30.8 m. So 3 light rail cars would be about 92.4 in length, about 3.8 subway cars in length. Almost the same length as a Line 4 Sheppard subway train.

It's narrow width like the montreal metro but quad seats layout kills a lot of space. The Alstom LRVs would be more effective in holding more people.

Eglinton will be quickly over capacity. When Miller introduced TC it was based on a 2030 population of 3 million. Well Toronto has already passed that threshold and is growing at 70,000 a year bringing it closer to 4 million by 2030 and the GTA is also growing much faster than anticipated.

Eglinton will be quickly over capacity. When Miller introduced TC it was based on a 2030 population of 3 million. Well Toronto has already passed that threshold and is growing at 70,000 a year bringing it closer to 4 million by 2030 and the GTA is also growing much faster than anticipated.

Eglinton will quickly be over capacity; with their initial 2 car train setup.

Then they will easily add 3 car trains to it, as they designed it to be, and it will no longer be over capacity.

There is plenty of un-used platform at the launch of the Crosstown.

Then, if capacity is still an issue, you can convert to 2 full length Alstom trains, which have more total capacity or have Bombardier convert the 3 car, 5 segment LRTS to 2 7 segment LRTs, which both affords more capacity (less space wasted between couplings, like the Toronto Rockets)

Then, if capacity is STILL an issue, the underground stations have been designed to be expandable to 4 car train lengths. (Or 3 full size Alstom LRTS) At the end of each platform in the station box are storage areas, which can be blown out to lengthen the platform.

This would require either having 4 car trains only operate in the tunnels, short turning, or lengthening the platforms on the above ground sections, which is expensive but feasible.

Capacity will not be an issue.

Last edited:
Eglinton will quickly be over capacity; with their initial 2 car train setup.

Then they will easily add 3 car trains to it, as they designed it to be, and it will no longer be over capacity.

There is plenty of un-used platform at the launch of the Crosstown
Will the surface stops be 3 car compatible?

All this talk of Eglinton being over capacity is cute/terrifying when you consider that the extra riders will be dumped on Yonge which is already over capacity. Constraints on Eglinton may ironically help prevent Yonge collapsing.

All this talk of Eglinton being over capacity is cute/terrifying when you consider that the extra riders will be dumped on Yonge which is already over capacity. Constraints on Eglinton may ironically help prevent Yonge collapsing.
If the Richmond Hill GO line had a Eglinton stop, then it might help.

I can't see the Crosstown getting over capacity anytime soon. The biggest destination for riders is downtown, and RER and the DRL will get people there faster. The entire north part of the DRL is designed around diverting as many riders from Yonge-bound routes as possible. Stations like Eglinton-Don Mills and Mount Dennis are going to be major transfer points. It really can't be overstated how much the DRL and RER are going to transform travel patterns around the city.

BIG intersection closure this coming weekend, August 24-25, 2018.

See link.

FULL INTERSECTION CLOSURE BATHURST STREET AND EGLINTON AVENUE WEST AUGUST 24-25, 2018

On Friday August 24, 2018, crews will implement a full closure of the intersection of Bathurst Street and Eglinton Avenue West to complete a concrete roof pour at Forest Hill Station. Bathurst Street will be closed from south of Roselawn Avenue to south of Dewborne Avenue, and Eglinton Avenue West will be closed from east of Hilltop Road to west of Old Forest Hill Road. Several concrete pumps will be placed around the intersection with concrete trucks queuing and traveling along Bathurst Street and Eglinton Avenue West. TTC buses will be detoured during the closure.

To minimize the duration of the closure and ensure the quality of the pour, crews will work overnight beginning at 10:00 p.m. for approximately 14 hours. The intersection will be reopened once the work is complete.

Hours of Work

• Friday, August 24, 2018 at 10:00 p.m. (overnight) for approximately 14 hours
  • In the event of inclement weather, this work will be rescheduled for Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 10:00 p.m. for approximately 14 hours
Weekend Closure

bathurst_closure_august_2018.jpg

TTC Detour Route

bathust_closure_ttc_map.png

I can't see the Crosstown getting over capacity anytime soon. The biggest destination for riders is downtown, and RER and the DRL will get people there faster. The entire north part of the DRL is designed around diverting as many riders from Yonge-bound routes as possible. Stations like Eglinton-Don Mills and Mount Dennis are going to be major transfer points. It really can't be overstated how much the DRL and RER are going to transform travel patterns around the city.
I concur, and to add, Eglinton will have high ridership but it won't necessarily all be heading downtown. There will be many local trips and day trips along the line as well. Actually, because of those trips, the Crosstown is projected to have higher daily ridership than the Relief Line Long, despite the projection that the Relief Line Long will have 3x the rush hour crush of Eglinton.

If the Richmond Hill GO line had a Eglinton stop, then it might help.

I'm not too hot on the prospect of RH-GO aiding in relieving ECLRT or the Yonge Line. Not in it's current design, even if it had an interchange at Leslie.

I think people forget that RH-GO moves less people per day than the Bayview bus (or, one-fifth of the Dufferin bus if you'd rather).

If the roof of Forest Hill station is being poured does that mean the next steps will be to wait for the concrete to cure, waterproofing, and then backfilling the soil, restoring utilities, and re-opening lanes of traffic? Would that mean this intersection is soon to return to some semblance of its pre-construction state?

I'm through that intersection often, and seeing some of the at-grade work wind down would be a tremendous relief

If the roof of Forest Hill station is being poured does that mean the next steps will be to wait for the concrete to cure, waterproofing, and then backfilling the soil, restoring utilities, and re-opening lanes of traffic? Would that mean this intersection is soon to return to some semblance of its pre-construction state?

I'm through that intersection often, and seeing some of the at-grade work wind down would be a tremendous relief
I'm pretty sure the closure is for concrete trucks to be able to get around and fill. They would be blocking the roadway

I'm not too hot on the prospect of RH-GO aiding in relieving ECLRT or the Yonge Line. Not in it's current design, even if it had an interchange at Leslie.

I think people forget that RH-GO moves less people per day than the Bayview bus (or, one-fifth of the Dufferin bus if you'd rather).

I think that has less to do with the route and more to do with the current rolling stock and frequencies, and lack of stations like the aforementioned.

Back